Leaving Comcast - Alternatives for a Tivo Box?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by kawai54, Oct 19, 2011.

1. kawai54

kawai54 New Member

Oct 18, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    I get my TV signals through Comcast, and record with a Tivo box.

I love Tivo box, but am not at all happy with Comcast (especially its outrageous prices!!).

I know that not all other carriers work with Tivo. Which ones do?

Which do you recommend as good alternatives?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What model Tivo do you have?

3. kawai54

kawai54 New Member

Oct 18, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Where can I find that information? I bought it last fall, and it can record HD if I choose.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Available alternatives depend on your location. Usually, there aren't any, except OTA. But anything that calls itself a Cable TV company should work, along with Verizon Fios. Not working: DirecTV, Dish, U-Verse.

That's a Series 3 or 4, which I assume you have. Series 2 or 1 will work with almost anything, but won't record HD.

5. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    In several places, on the label on the back, in the system information screen, its the 3 numbers following "TCD", Tivo service number.

What does the tivo look like?

The only models that can record HD in high def is Series 3, HD/XL, and premiere. Series 2 needs a cable box or digital converter box for antenna.

If you want to drop cable and use antenna, there are about 40 digital channels here in the sf bay area, with a good antenna and line of sight to the tower on Mt. Sutro. Saves approx up to $200 monthly.

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    A Series 1/2 will work with nearly any provider that has a box, but only in SD. Series 2s other than the 649 (S2DT) and 542 models support converter boxes for digital antenna.

A Series 3/4 support only antenna and cable directly, both digital and anlaog. The Elite is cable only.

7. kawai54

kawai54 New Member

Oct 18, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Great, thanks! On the back it says TCD746320.

I'm afraid I'm a little too naive to have understood all of the above replies, but I gather that I don't have a lot of cable options outside of Comcast, right?

This leads me to two questions:
    1) What are my other cable options, if any?
    2) What do I lose if I give up cable and go with an antenna? I haven't even seen one in decades.

Thanks, guys. :)

8. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    TCD746 shows you have a Premiere. Your options is either cable from any source except U-verse, or antenna.

U-verse is basically satellite and is not supported on the Premiere.

Cable vs. Antenna: you would still get the basic networks, ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW. You won't get ones such as HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc., as well as on-demand, though Tivo will not access them. Tivo has its own on-demand, such as youtube, Netflix.

9. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    You might want to find your local thread over on AVS Forum and ask there.

10. synch22

synch22 Member

Dec 30, 2003
    Go with limited basic with comcast and keep your tivos and cable cards. I was on that plan and its 15$, with the discount to your internet for tv service. We had plenty to watch and I did fine for the year with this service after thinking I would struggle.
    Once football season came I needed expanded for ESPN and my bill shot up $70 all because I needed espn, what a joke.

Once the season is over I will go back to the limited plan, both Lifetime tivos have cable cards and that stays with the service downgrade. Expanded cable is truly mostly junk and I enjoyed the minimal tv watching that limited basic forces.

I did weigh Direct tv but that mean bye to 2 lifetime tivos and service commitment, and an ugly dish. I did get NFL sunday ticket on my PS3 so I made out pretty well. Expanded cable and sunday ticket for the 5 months of football, back to limited come Jan.

11. kawai54

kawai54 New Member

Oct 18, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for the feedback, synch22. I'm afraid that limited basic on Comcast cuts out way too much. I really enjoy the SciFi channel (whoops, now called "SyFy"), LMN, and some other channels that wouldn't be included.

What is the "discount to your internet for TV service"? Not sure I follow that one...

I have one Tivo with a cable card, but pay somewhere around $100 a month! Gasp!

12. Torgo

Torgo Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Is that for just TV, or does that include internet and/or voice service as well?

13. kawai54

kawai54 New Member

Oct 18, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Just the TV, believe it or not. I've gotta make some changes.

14. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I pay $0 for my antenna, $21 now for Netflix 2 DVD and streaming.

15. synch22

synch22 Member

Dec 30, 2003
    Here u get a 10$ discount on internet if u have some sort of tv service.I think they do that because once a signal is coming into ur home for internet, if u plugged in a tv u get reception anyway, or they need to come out and install filters thus charging $ 10 extra. So limited basic with 3 cable cards was running me like $17 , if I factored in the discount that's $7 for 15 channels or so with all hd locals and cable cards for tivos. Best deal there is.

16. mpogge

mpogge New Member

Sep 12, 2010
    I have contact the evil Comcast and threatened to move to DirectTV. They have cut my cable package for the next two years to $35.00 a month and I kept their Digital Starter package which contains way more then I really need but give me a great range of channels. If you push them Comcast will respond. When you call select the option to cancel your cable and you will be directed to operators who are Comcast's "last line of defense" who have the power to do something.