leaving cable card

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by lamotte, Jul 14, 2011.

1. lamotte

lamotte New Member

Oct 10, 2004
    northwest ohio
    wife and i will be moving back to central illinois in approximately one month currently staying with brother in law in his home. when leaving i will be taking my premier xl with me and planning to purchased him a new tivo box.

question is will i be able to pair the cable card we have currently with the new box with time warner on the phone or will they have to make a truck roll with a tech to do it. they took 6 trips to get my current card correct and up and running and not wanting to go thru this nightmare again before we go

2. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    I believe TWC pairs the card with the box, so it won't work in his box - you'll have to turn it in. That said, Cablecard self-installation is mandated on 8/1 (since TWC already does self-installs of some kinds) - so with any luck you should get things set up for free, though who knows about how much hassle.

3. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    If TWC pairs the card with the box, why couldn't they just re-pair it to the new TiVo box for the brother-in-law? Even if they're so incompetent (or crooked) that they require a truck roll, they surely could reuse a known good card.