Leaving a recording in progress then coming back

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by UCLABB, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Mar 2, 2017 #1 of 53
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA

Advertisements

Is there any way around leaving a recording you are chase watching, going to another recording, then coming back to where you left off? It always starts me back at the beginning. If you go from the recording you are chasing and go to live tv, you do come back where you left.

Mikeguy likes this.
  2. Mar 2, 2017 #2 of 53
    schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    It should always resume where you left.

3. Mar 2, 2017 #3 of 53
    pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    How are you resuming watching the recording? I always see option to resume or to watch from the beginning, but I make heavy use of the remote's "Select" in the menus and don't use the "Play" button.

UCLABB likes this.
  4. Mar 2, 2017 #4 of 53
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    If you were watching it from My Shows, even while the recording is still in process, it should remember where you left and let you resume watching. (unless you were in the last 5 minutes of the show)

However if you're watching from Live TV on the channel that happens to be recording then it does not track your position - live TV isn't linked to My Shows even when watching a buffer that's being recorded into My Shows. So if you leave that channel and come back it will have forgotten your place and you'll be be live. (If you pause the Live TV buffer before switching away it should still be paused when you switch back - but if the recording completes then you can no longer access that through Live TV and IIRC the pause point does not get applied to the recording in My Shows.

Hope that helps.

5. Mar 2, 2017 #5 of 53
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA

Advertisements

I'll will test that and see if it works. I've been simply hitting "play" rather than select and then resume. Hitting play on a recording that is done takes one back to where he left off. The problem is when the program is still recording.

6. Mar 2, 2017 #6 of 53
    generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    I've been running into this issue as well. I often start watching a show before it's finished recording. I start playing from My Shows, not Live TV. After the show is done recording, I often exit back to the menu and go back to the show so that Skip Mode will be enabled. But when I go back to the show, there is no option to resume playing, I have to play from the beginning. It's not a huge deal with Skip Mode because I can just skip back to where I left off. But it is kinda annoying. This is only an issue when I start watching something that's is still recording. This never happens if I start watching after the recording has finished. Maybe it has to do with Skim Mode tags being added?

Mikeguy likes this.
  7. Mar 2, 2017 #7 of 53
    chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Try hitting the Live TV button and then quickly hit again if it goes to the channel you were watching. This has always been a little hit or miss for me. It should remember where you are if the recording has not finished.

8. Mar 2, 2017 #8 of 53
    generaltso

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    It should remember where you are regardless of whether the recording has finished or not. But in this particular case, it doesn't. I think it's a bug. When you exit out of a show that just recently finished recording, it seems to reset the resume option when it adds the Skip Mode tags.

Mikeguy likes this.
  9. Mar 2, 2017 #9 of 53
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Just going to live, it seems to work fine. Go to live and then back to the recording and it puts you where you left off. It's going to another recording that makes it lose your resume point.

Mikeguy likes this.
  10. generaltso

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    I haven't been going to another recording. While playing the show that has recently finished recording, I hit the left button to go to the TiVo menu. Then Skip Mode shows up and I want to hit Resume, but Play is the only option. You're saying I should hit Live TV instead of the left button?

11. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I haven't tried anything that has skip mode so I don't know what effect that has.

12. elm222

elm222 TIVO user

Jan 21, 2015
    Northeast TN
    I do this fairly often without any issues. But what I typically do is either hit pause or not and hit the left arrow I think 2 times so I am back in the My shows menu with the program running or paused in the view window and watch for the skip icon to show up (usually less than a minute or 2) then hit the zoom button back to full screen release pause if needed and continue watching with skip available for the rest of the program. Works great. LOVE SKIP MODE!!!!

Mikeguy likes this.
  13. generaltso

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Hmm. My process is about the same except that I don't use the spoiler window. I don't think I've tried pausing it first, but that really shouldn't be a requirement.

14. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Yes, that works. I'm so used to just hitting the play button, now I will have to remember to hit select and resume in these instances. Thanks for the tip.

15. generaltso

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    That won't work for me since there is no resume option in my scenario.

16. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    How are you starting playback of the recording in progress? Are you rewinding live video back to the start of the program, or selecting the show in the list of recordings?

The former won't remember your position when you go back to watch the rest but the latter should. I have Premieres but I don't think they'd change a fundamental operation like that (S2s work the same as I'm describing as well).

17. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
  18. generaltso

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    I'm starting the show from the My Shows list the same as I would with any show that's not currently recording. The only difference is that when I exit out of playback to get Skip Mode added, there is no option to resume playing.

19. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I only have this problem if the show I'm watching is still recording. If it's already finished recording, I can leave and resume without issue.

Mikeguy likes this.
  20. generaltso

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Yes, same here. I'm pretty sure it's a bug.

Mikeguy likes this.