Leased receiver question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by TommyB, Aug 3, 2007.

1. TommyB

TommyB New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    Jacksonville...
    I just bought a HD Tivo from a guy in town. I called to activate the receiver, but was told that the person I purchased it from had to call in to remove the receiver from his account (apparently he is past due on some bills and owes them money).

My question is, will DirecTV consider this receiver as a lease, or will I own the equipment since I bought it from a 3rd party?

Also, the guy seems reluctant to call DirecTV since he owes them money...what are the chances that I can have them deactivate the receiver from his account on my own? The two CSR's I talked to last night were adamant about him needing to do it.

2. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    D* won't activate a receiver unless it is clear, so you need to get the guy to call them.

All equipment connected to the D* service after last year is considered leased. You MAY be able to get a CSR to change the status on your account. It has been achieved with varying success by people on this board.

3. TommyB

TommyB New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    Jacksonville...

Apparently the guy said that he purchased it from another person and had DirecTV change his status to "owned" on his account. However, if they consider the receiver leased, isn't he obligated to give it back?

Looks like I may need to get my money back from him on this one.

4. Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    I would if I were you! This guy sounds like he is pulling a fast one. If it is leased on his than perhaps he is trying to sell it and ignore D*'s attempt to collect on the return fee. Personally I will not buy a used unit unless i can verify 100% That it is free of debts and it was from the first owner. If a machine has passed through too many owners it is to risky IMO

Good luck :)