Law & Order Criminal Intent "Last Rites" 8/17/08

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Cainebj, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York

Advertisements

This was a great great episode last night - perhaps the best so far of this season. Great writing. I started to watch it after the Olympics thinking I would be asleep before it was over and instead it had the opposite effect and woke me up :)

The Logan/Chris Noth arc is really developing towards the previous announced conclusion but glad to see they aren't going to wrap it up in a couple of lines of dialogue as they have in the past with other characters in the L&O franchise...

2. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Um, this was his last episode.

Wheeler looked good in that dress.

3. jgerry

jgerry save vinyl

Aug 29, 2001
    Atlanta,...
    Yeah, I know they said it was Noth's last episode, but they really didn't write a good exit for him. So he just disappears and we have no idea what happens to him and his job? I guess we're supposed to infer that he quit, or he got ousted. Either way, I do think this was the best episode in a while. I guess we also don't get to find out what happens to Wheeler's fiancé.

Whatever happened to Alicia Witt? I guess she was just filling in. Too bad, she's pretty nice to look at.

4. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Oh.
    ... and there I was thinking they were setting up his fall - LOL

I guess I need to start watching commercials.

5. Llwellyn

Llwellyn K3DSL

Jan 12, 2004
    Brooklyn, MD

Advertisements

I went back over something Tivo'd during the marathon that was on all day, and they never said in the previews that it was his last episode, only that it was his last case. I inferred the same thing, that we'd see the resolution and he'd be gone after this episode... but I think he's going to carry until the season finale.

I thought the episode was well written, but it just didn't seem as well performed as some of the others from this season. The whole Wheeler's fiance subplot just didn't feel right to me.

6. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    Is it just me, or were there two Logan episodes in a row?

I usually watch the D'Onofrio episodes the day they air but the Logan episodes just sit on my TiVo until I'm SUPER bored. They tend to pile up.

7. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    It's not just you. Last week's episode was "Neighborhood Watch", about the so-called sex offender.

8. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I don't know if the plan is to get back to just Goren and Eames (I don't read the "TV News" sites), but they set it up for Logan's exit and the thing with the fiance - who knows what that will turn into. I'm guessing some of that will be wrapped up in a side-story on next week's episode (which is this season's finale, correct?).

9. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    The idea for Logan's exit is to:
    replace him with Jeff Goldblum, who I really hate.
    I'll probably keep watching though.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It's kind of strange to have that actor and D'Onofrio as the alternates...it's hard to imagine that the characters will be distinct enough to make the new guy interesting, since his characters always have quirks very similar to D'Onofrio's (or rather to Goren's, since D'Onofrio has more of a range).

11. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Speaking of next week's show... in the preview:
    there was a very quick flash of a woman's head, her face was obscured by her hair, then as her head raised up they cut away before you could see her face. Anyone think it might be Goren's "Moriarty", the character played by Olivia D'Abo? I think her name is Nicole.

12. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    That's just what I thought when I saw that!

13. jgerry

jgerry save vinyl

Aug 29, 2001
    Atlanta,...
    I thought that too!! Paused the Tivo and everything.

I love that story arc. I saw the first episode she was on recently on rerun... Man, she's great. What happened to her? She was in like 3 episodes but I can't remember the outcome. I hope she's back!

14. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    1) Why is the name of the new actor spoilerized? It's been in all the trades (and on this board) for months.

2) It is not at all unusual for L&O to briefly explain what happened to the already departed character in the first episode of the new season.

15. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002

I'm exactly the opposite. The only reason I started watching CI again was because of Chris Noth. In fact, I always delete the D'Onofrio ep's without ever watching them.

16. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Because this is the episode discussion thread. If it hasn't happened in the show yet (by the time of this episode), it should be in spoiler tags.

17. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    Yeah, but I'd been watching all along. So after five years of one actor, it was hard to get used to a second. I just don't care for those episodes.

18. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Okay, thanks :)

19. erk48188

erk48188 not hinky

Aug 16, 2002
    Canton, MI
    like..."is it cuz i'm a lesbian?"

20. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002

Well, seeing how badly the ratings have slipped the last few years, you can't blame them for the shakeup. I don't see CI lasting much more than another season or two.