Law & Order: CI moving to USA

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by weymo, Aug 11, 2007.

1. weymo

weymo timeshifter

Jan 26, 2003
    Atlanta

Advertisements

An ad ran during tonight's monk indicating that Law & Order: Criminal Intent is _moving_ to USA with new episodes this fall.
    Is this broadcast tv realizing that there is better money in cable? Why would NBC move a successful property to a cable partner channel rather than repurpose?

futoncritic: (apparently this is old news)
    http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20070715usa03

2. Mike10

Mike10 New Member

Mar 1, 2006
    They are going to air on USA first and then NBC will be airing reruns of the episodes later on in the TV season

3. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I suspect the cable networks make so much money running those episodic shows into the ground that they are worth more to them. Plus first run rights will likely bring in new viewers to their network.

It i an interesting move. Will be curious to see how it works out.

Wasn't this done before the new programming guy took over at NBC?

4. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    This had been discussed ad nauseum in the media preceding the Network "UPFRONTS." Apparently NBC really only wanted L&O SVU. Dick Wolf bargained with them, and managed to get L&O on the schedule after SNF ends and to keep CI in production by running the first runs on cable, and also perhaps using it as a midseason replacement.

5. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York

Advertisements

and THEN - there was a big fall out because the principal actors didn't get their regular primetime raises - i actually never heard what became of that...

6. USAFSSO

USAFSSO Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Las Cruces, NM
    NBC is doing the right thing with the whole Universal Network thing. They can run stuff on the other channels before sending it to Network. Network shows get replayed on the cable channels, which bring new people. The Sci-fi stuff get a re-run on the Sci-Fi channel (Hero), Artsy stuff on Bravo, Dramas on USA. TNT is the L&O channel. You cant just keep running old 60's, 70's and 80's (90's) shows.

It changes the way TV seasons work. New shows are on all year long. They can also have first runs going on during football season and not have to start at the first of the year.

Does USA really need new viewers. I was thinking it is one of the original cable channels.

Sorry I know this is somewhat OT.

7. FilmCritic3000

FilmCritic3000 Active Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

Maybe in the '90s but not now! Ever since NBC (now NBC Universal, as of 2004) bought out Rainbow Media's share in Bravo back in 2002, that channel's been nothing but "reality" show hell.

Ovation TV's pretty much picked up the "arts & culture" demo that Bravo catered to in the 1990s.

[​IMG]

http://www.ovationtv.com

8. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Yeah but I wonder if they were not all being overpaid since they all only essentially worked half a season (the detectives).