Launch Fail: Best Buy hasn't heard of the TiVo Roamio OTA

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by SeattleGuy206, Sep 14, 2014.

1. SeattleGuy206

SeattleGuy206 New Member

Sep 14, 2014

Advertisements

Knowing Best Buy's tendency toward bad service and terrible inventory control I decided to call my local store to see if they had it. I waited on the phone for 15 minutes, finally got someone who had no idea what I was talking about. She said without the number she couldn't look it up on the website. Clearly she had better things to do, when I said I was looking at the TiVo website where it clearly states it is launching at Best Buy today, she sighed heavily and threw me back on hold.

If I had known that all they were going to do was look it up on their consumer facing website I would have saved the call. She had never heard anything about the Best Buy exclusive and clearly had no idea what the OTA was about.

I called TiVo. He said they should have it in the stores listed on the website, but couldn't answer why Best Buy had no idea. The store I called was listed.

Thinking it was a local issue I called the Best Buy 800 number. Got someone on the line. Not only did she not know about OTA, but she didn't know how to spell TiVo. I'm not sure she knew what a TiVo was. She tried calling the store, I waited for nearly 10 minutes. She comes back on and says the store hung up on her. We'll at least they are consistently bad.

TiVo - very bad idea to launch with Best Buy. Can you make it available on amazon.com so we can actually buy it? You have someone here ready to buy, who isn't complaining about the $15 a month. Simple.TV is starting to look good.

2. manhole

manhole Member

Apr 14, 2005
    It's very disappointing that tivo went this direction with the OTA. I was hoping they would add a 4-tuner OTA to the Roamio Plus and release it as a new product.

3. timchi29

timchi29 Member

Feb 25, 2005
    This is the norm for best buy. They are horrible!

4. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Assuming you are in Seattle by your forum ID, here are the Best Buys in your state who will get the Roamio OTA:

Bellevue (Store 498)
    457 120th Avenue NE
    Bellevue , WA 98005

Bellingham (Store 359)
    4281 Meridan St
    Bellingham , WA 98226

E Spokane (Store 355)
    15223 East Indiana Avenue
    E Spokane , WA 99216

Everett (Store 566)
    1402 SE Everett Mall Way
    Everett , WA 98208

Federal Way (Store 372)
    31601 Pacific Hwy South
    Federal Way , WA 98003

Lynnwood (Store 477)
    19225 Alderwood Mall Pkwy
    Lynnwood , WA 98036

Seattle-Northgate (Store 470)
    330 NE Northgate Way
    Seattle-Northgate , WA 98125

Spokane North (Store 362)
    9970 N Newport Hwy
    Spokane North , WA 99218

Tacoma (Store 830)
    2214 South 48th Street
    Tacoma , WA 98409

Tukwila (Store 447)
    17304 Southcenter Parkway
    Tukwila , WA 98188

5. Mr Tony

Mr Tony formerly known as "unclehonkey"

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN

Advertisements

Tivo didnt ship them yet. I posted this in the other thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=520939

also has the sku listed. I posted a copy of my order

6. Captainbob

Captainbob Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Tivo hasn't shipped the products to them yet. You can't sell what you don't have.

7. timchi29

timchi29 Member

Feb 25, 2005
    You can at least have a clue what you committed on selling.

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    THis is BestBuy. They typically don't have a clue about most of the products they sell.

9. joetekcor

joetekcor New Member

Sep 15, 2014
    My Best Buy, which was on the list, didn't have the Tivo OTA either. Luckily the first employee who didn't know anything about it led me to their home theater guru. He was able to search the system and find the SKU. They had stock in the warehouse just nothing in the stores. He was able to order one for me and I'll pick it up Thursday.
    He said there was a similar situation when the Roku stick came out. Roku had announced a date but they hadn't actually made it to the stores by then.
    Don't know who's to blame here. Best Buy for not having stock in the stores or TiVo for announcing a date and not getting the boxes to BB in time to make it through their inventory system.

10. Captainbob

Captainbob Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Check out this page, because now the Best Buy stores that are listed by each state, also have the day they will have some in stock. Some stores won't have any until the middle of November. https://www.tivo.com/discover/antenna

11. dcline414

dcline414 New Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Guessing you could still special order it with the SKU... but why would you want a DVR that can't ever be expanded to use with minis on other TVs?

12. Captainbob

Captainbob Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    I already have Roamio Basic, which gets used on one TV. I , and probably many other people, don't have TV's all over the house, but in one room. I need a mini as much as a fish needs bicycle. ;)

13. drew68

drew68 New Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Speaking for myself only, I have no interest in MRV or anything Mini related. The fact that the OTA does not support the mini is of no concern to me. i will be happy for the upgrade from my series 3 Tivo HD. I certainly get why others would be disappointed, but in this household it's a non issue.

14. dcline414

dcline414 New Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
  15. Mr Tony

Mr Tony formerly known as "unclehonkey"

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    same here
    upgrading from a Tivo HD that still has the stock 21hr drive in it ;)

16. turbobuick86

turbobuick86 Member

May 2, 2002
    At $14.99/mo the Roamio OTA most expensive dvr tivo has ever produced if you take it out 4-5 yrs. More than lifetime with their best product.

I was told 3 days ago, I couldn't swap in an OTA Roamio for $99/year. Today I get an email saying that $14.99 is good for all tivos in the home. Very odd how this all came to be. Is the OTA included in that deal? Just poor marketing. https://us-mg5.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=b1ue7vma235ed

That deal does nothing for me anyway, as one unit is on lifetime and one unit is annual $99.

Tivo makes it so difficult to stay loyal. I do their surveys and for the longest time I did beta. Tivo is the best dvr out there, but it's not a great bargain and there are other alternatives.

17. Captainbob

Captainbob Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm one of the people that lifetime doesn't appeal to at all. I know all the arguments about cost after 4 years, yada yada, but I would much rather pay $15 a month for three years, and then being at the break even point, decide if I want to keep paying the $15 a month, or throw my Tivo out and get a brand new model to match my brand new 2018 model 8K TV that I bought for $800......:rolleyes:

Seriously, I have mentioned to more than a few people, about the $500 lifetime option, after I purchased my Roamio, and nobody I have discussed this with so far ( and these are people that are financially well off) , thought that spending $500 on a DVR subscription in advance, was something they were anxious to do. So I think there are quite a few people that would go in the direction I chose and just pay the monthly fee for the Guide, software updates, emails, tech support, and the other advantages that they get from the Tivo.

By the way, lots of luck with the "other alternatives". I have researched this for awhile and haven't come up with any yet, that are satisfactory.

18. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nice try but Roamio Pro is $600 + $500 = $1100. OTA is $950 for 5 years. Pricing is not great, but not crazy either. If you estimate the subsidy on the box vs the Basic Roamio ($200) to be about $100 (it is $50 cheaper to produce), plus the cost of lifetime ($500), you get $600. $600/15 = 40 months. So really, the break even difference is about 3.5 years (giving a little bit in for inflation). That isn't terrible.

Now if you figure for discounted lifetime ($400), it is closer to 3 years, still not crazy bad.

Personally, I would pay the extra money and get the basic Roamio and lifetime (due to mini support, lifetime option, and cable support), but I don't think the OTA is a terrible option.

19. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    $14.99 is the cost of service for all TiVos if you go monthly. It's not more expensive for the OTA. So if you bought any TiVo and paid monthly for 4-5 years the only difference would be the hardware cost, in which case the OTA is the cheapest TiVo ever offered.

There are a few catches though...

1) They require a 2 year commitment, where all others are just 1

2) They do not offer lifetime, which is a better deal then monthly long term

3) They do not offer a multi-service discount so even if you have multiple OTA units they're all $14.99/mo. (with other TiVos you get a discounted rate of $12.99/mo for additional units)

4) They do not support the Mini.

The only one of those that is a real deal breaker in my eyes is the lack of Mini support. I'm not sure why they chose to limit that.

20. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Well it looks like initial reports were wrong and the OTA does in fact support the Mini. So in that case it's really not a bad deal if you were going to pay monthly anyway. If I were in the market for an OTA only DVR I might get one.