Latest TiVo video

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by innocentfreak, Apr 27, 2011.

1. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    So apparently TiVo posted a new video to youtube comparing themselves to the Cable DVR.

I won't even comment.

2. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    I don't see anything wrong with this and I think it's actually pretty good.

3. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    :up::up:

4. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    I keep thinking, "Don't be a retard." I know that's not PC to say, but Richard seems oh so close.

5. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    A bit wordy maybe, but pretty slick!

I like how the iPad makes a cameo. :)

Also chuckled at seeing "Cablecard" buried in the fine print!

6. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I guess I was just looking at it from a FiOS customer.

New FiOS DVR 500gb vs TiVo Premiere 320gb
    Limited On-Demand content=24,000 VOD titles which for the most part are included in the cost of your monthly service
    Everything but Youtube on TiVo costs extra.
    Of course FiOS does youtube with the Verizon Media Manager.

Savings is actually non-existent if you go with TiVo's current pricing model of $99+$19.99 a month.

FiOS Whole home DVR runs $19.99 or HD DVR is $15.99. TiVo will run you $19.99+$3.99 a month for CableCARD. Second TiVo for multiroom would be another $19.99+$3.99 or $9.99 a month on FiOS for the HD STB which can stream from the FiOS DVR. FiOS has also added support for external hard drives in their latest software update plus they give you patch notes.

Then they mention the clumsy guide you have to put up with on the cable DVR yet TiVo hasn't finished their own guide which is still the same one from ten years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I am not dumping my TiVos for the FiOS DVR, I just didn't come away with that warm feeling after watching the video.

7. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I do, some premiere are not that fast. The comcast box is faster then mine.

8. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    They should have shown Paul taking a day off of work to wait for Brighthouse to come install a cable card and taking a second day off of work to get someone who did at least one install in the past year to get it working. Then show Paul switching to the SDUI because the HDUI is laggy among other things then switching back to HDUI when he realized the SD menus are going to freeze up for 10 minutes at a time once or twice a week. Then show him firing up the cable company's STB to watch a PPV or on demand programming.

9. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    What? Tivo does youtube without an extra cost.

10. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    Um .... utube is free to everyone so there is no extra cost

11. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    The cable DVRs that I've seen at houses of friends and relatives have been truly horrible. The DirecTV DVRs that I personally have, on the other hand, have been really, really good.

12. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Don't forget about the RSS feeds!

13. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    what - you just throw the cable box off to the right and hook the cable to the TiVo and then the internet cord. Looked really easy to me. :D

14. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    They don't mention you have to pay extra for the slide remote that was being used. Since they were giving step by step instructions to switch from the cable company DVR to Tivo, they should have mentioned the step to schedule an appointment to have the cable card installed.

15. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    That's exactly what TiVo is aiming for. IMHO, TiVo is hoping someone gets offended and then TiVo gets some free press that it desperately needs. The inference of "Retard" won't end the world for TiVo. Other companies have done similar things and just let it lie, getting the free press. Any complaints won't amount to anything, except the press regurgitating the TiVo press kit of "who we are" and TV folks happy talk after reading the story about how they like their TiVO.

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Interesting, I'm surprised they didn't hire a brunette, like they did for the Virgin UK TiVo promo video...

17. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Anybody got a link to "that" cat video?

18. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well if TiVo actually worked the way the video showed (no need for cable cards, fully functioning menus & services, etc.) then they would have a hit. Problem is we are know it doesn't work that way.

Thanks,

19. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX

20. Riverdome

Riverdome Member

May 12, 2005
    All this talk about needing to take a day off to have the cable card installed - wasn't there just a FCC ruling that now requires cable cos to allow self installs?

My local cable co required a $100 truck roll previously and now will hand me new cards when I ask for them. Installing a PCMIA card isn't exactly rocket science so there is no reason for a truck roll.