Latest tidbits from the Reversi log: storageless TiVos

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by wmcbrine, Mar 13, 2011.

1. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003

Advertisements

Some new results from my Reversi logs:

Code:
    tsn = 746************
    version = 14.8.N2-01-3-746
    language = enUS
    country = US
    Language? Yeah, I suppose that's useful. Oh wait, what's this?

Code:
    has-recording-storage = true
    Now that's very interesting. But it gets better:

Code:
    tsn = AF0************
    version = 14.8.N2-01-3-A90
    has-recording-storage = false
    A "TiVo" with no recording storage! Apparently, it already exists, and is in testing. I assume this is one of those built-in-to-the-TV Best Buy deals we heard about a while back.

2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    This is either the tv or the thin client for sudden link. They are developing the whole home TiVo with probably 4 tuners and TiVo extenders. I don't think there was ever mention if these would have storage or not.

3. jmill

jmill New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    That sounds as BestBuy version of TiVo...

What is Reversi log, if you don't mind me asking?

4. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    I have a better question-

What in the world is a TiVo that has no storage? What would it do or be used for? Built into the TV or not, wouldn't a TiVo have to have storage? Isn't that what a TiVo is? A way to record (store) TV shows?

5. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal

Advertisements

If it is a thin client, it would have the TiVo UI, but storage would be on the server unit. Trick play would effect the stream from the server unit. If done well enough, the user wouldn't need to care if the shows were stored locally or not.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Reversi is an HME game you can play on your TiVo. It's hosted on a server so they can log information about every TiVo that plays it.

Dan

7. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    There have been published articles in the past that Tivo wants to branch out to licensing their UI and design to TV and cable box manufacturers outside of the DVR market.

Since one of Tivos strongest features is the UI it does make sense to me.

8. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Yes, makes a lot of sense and I would be in the market for 3 of them right off if the pricing / subscription rates were right.

9. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    And to clarify, that's "It's hosted on a server so [it follows logically that] they can log etc.", not "It's hosted on a server [for the purpose of logging]". That's just a side benefit. :) All HME apps are hosted on servers, by their nature.

Also, in this case, "they" = me, and "a server" = an old G4 Mac Mini in my pantry.

10. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Almost makes you wonder if TiVo does it on purpose knowing you will see.

11. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I had that thought as well... could a beta tester or employee be intentionally sharing some info back to the community. But excised the sentence from my post before it went up, as it's speculative enough.

12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Probably not. I'm guessing it's an unwitting beta tester just trying to play the game.

Dan

13. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    The fact that it seems to happen every model must mean Reversi is more popular than I thought. I guess I should try it sometime.

14. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    On a new TiVo you can record for about 7 days without a sub, if after the 7 days you don't get a sub the record space goes to false, just another idea about that log.
    Or you have filled up the hard drive with Do not delete programs so the TiVo can't record anymore.

15. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It may just be that it's one of the only externally hosted HME apps for TiVo and the engineers use it for testing to make sure that functionality still works on new models/versions.

Dan

16. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    This is my assumption. Additionally, it may be the only one that's not running off TiVo's SDK (it uses HME for Python).

But, by all means, yes, give it a try. :)

17. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    How 'bout youse two spill the beans about how to run Reversi on your Tivo?

18. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    To run Reversi, add the Apps.tv subscription manager to tivo, following the directions here:
    http://www.apps.tv/

Then you can launch the Apps.tv HME app and add other apps. There is a list at http://www.apps.tv/applications, Reversi is among them. The apps.tv service is sort of like a pre-cursor to app stores :) .

19. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    wmcbrine, based on your logs, is there any way to get a count/sense of unique TiVo devices accessing the game in say a given week?

20. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    It's a way to get the TiVo brand and experience--limited as it is--into homes to create a demand for TiVo platforms especially for the MSO's in the form of cable boxes or other software based TiVo, not so much the TiVo's own retail DVR's as TiVo seems to be getting out of the "box" business. Of course, this is all limited to the Best Buy store branded Insignia TV's. It's a good idea, but TiVo really needs to be in Vizio, Samsung, Sony for this scheme to really achieve its goal, not just the cheapo brand that is more likely to be put in the kids room or some other far flung household location as a--not even secondary but a tertiary HDTV.