Latest Software Update Broke my Hard eSATA Drive Hack on Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by primaryforce, Jul 28, 2017.

1. primaryforce

primaryforce Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Detroit, Mi
    I awoke today to a Tivo Bolt with 4 flashing lights. Apparently the firmware update didn't like the fact that I have a 6TB WD Red eSATA drive connected to the internal SATA port of the Bolt.

My next steps will be to reconnect the SATA connection to internal 500GB factory installed drive to see if I can at least get back to watching live TV, Netflix, and Plex. If that works I may get adventurous and try reconnected the external eSATA 6TB again. Either way it looks like I will need a refresher in opening up the Bolt after a year without issues. I hate the thought of losing my recorded shows but it looks like I probably will need to reformat the 6TB with MFS tools.

Primaryforce

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I wonder if this is hard drive model specific issue? I saw another post about a Seagate HD in a Roamio having the same problem. I upgraded to the new software ok in my Roamio with a bigger WD HD.

3. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Have you tried a shorter cable? Sometimes my eSATA signals are iffy and minor changes in power config cause them to have issues.

krkaufman and primaryforce like this.
  4. primaryforce

primaryforce Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Detroit, Mi
    Good suggestion. I had issues when I first upgraded my Bolt to use an external eSata enclosed and it turned out to be the eSata cable. I ordered a new cable from Amazon that will be here Sunday. Hopefully this resolves the problem.

Thanks,
    Primaryforce

Sent from my SM-T817T using Tapatalk

5. JCN

JCN Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Primaryforce did you try what jmbach suggested with any success?

6. primaryforce

primaryforce Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Detroit, Mi
    I have tried a new eSata cable and am in the final hour of low level formatting and verifying my 6TB WD Red. Unfortunately, I still don't think this drive will be recognized by my Bolt and I will be looking for recommendations for a 3TB 3 1/2".

7. JCN

JCN Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Hope it works.

8. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
  9. primaryforce

primaryforce Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Detroit, Mi
    Well I am about ready to give up since after doing the manufacturing successful low level write of zeros and read verify, the 6TB again resulted in the 4 flashing lights. As an experiment, I plugged a 1TB Seagate formatted drive in the external enclosure but this also resulted in the 4 flashing lights. Now I have 3 different eSata to eSata cables and all of them failed to resolve the issue. Now I am down to either the eSata cable or the enclosure as being my problem. Before I throw any more money at solving my problem I would like to hear from others that have connected their 4, 6, or 8TB WD to the Bolt with the latest firmware. It is just strange that my setup failed with the new firmware. I may have to do an alternative mod by connecting the hard drive directly to the TiVo board with a single short Sata cable.

10. CaseyJ

CaseyJ Always read the plaque

Apr 26, 2017
    To me, it appears that this problem affects us with an external drive in an enclosure replacing the original drive.
    Gor88 reported some success by eliminating the esata cables and using a sata cable instead. 20.7.2 has arrived!
    And a few posts after that he reports odd results that have a combination of data from the original drive showing up on the replacement drive. I think this is due to the reinstallation of the original drive then swapping back to the replacement. Anyone have this problem that hasn't reinstalled the original drive willing to give it a try?

11. primaryforce

primaryforce Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Detroit, Mi
    Success! My 6TB WD Red is up and running with my Bolt. Apparently the Bolt didn't like trying to connect through the multiple connectors and cables to access the external hard drive but a single SATA cable directly from the motherboard to the external drive resolved the issue. I still had to connect to the TiVo server twice to resolve the V312 error with Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Plex. Now all I have to do is call Comcast to reactivate the cable card for HBO and VOD. One last job will be to figure out how to mod the Bolt case and external enclosure to accommodate my single cable configuration.

12. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Perhaps TiVo disabled the eSATA port except for mated solutions using the officially sanctioned enclosure (which apparently is no longer sold)

13. primaryforce

primaryforce Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Detroit, Mi
    The existing eSATA connector on all the Tivo units only works with the few Tivo "endorsed" drive expanders. I add an additional eSata port per the mark1958 mod that I used to connect to the Sata connector on the Bolt motherboard.

sfhub likes this.
  14. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Ah, ok, so then it was a cable problem after all. Wonder what change they did to cause this to show up.

15. primaryforce

primaryforce Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Detroit, Mi
    There were others with external hard drive hacks that reported that the firmware update "broke" their connection and resulted in the "4 flashing lights of death." I don't think it was software itself but it does show how sensitive the interface connection is between the hard drive and the Bolt motherboard.

16. gor88

gor88 Proud Cord Cutter

Jan 3, 2008
    near...
    Yeah, I got it back with a direct sata to sata cable. I definitely advise anyone else with an eSata cable in their external HDD configuration mix that hasn't gotten the upgrade to BACKUP your shows and 1passes first, just in case. If this glitch happens to you, I strongly advise you DON'T switch to the original drive. In my case, that just might have been my undoing.

Instead, get a regular sata to sata cable and do a direct connect from the HDD if you can. I intend to order a left angle or right angle sata to sata this weekend (can't remember which angle is correct). The Armer has separate data and power plugs, so I left the back off of it, unplugged the esata and plugged in a 2ft sata to sata to the motherboard. I leave that left top corner off my tivo. It's in a cabinet with a 9 inch fan blowing across the motherboard on high speed, so it won't overheat.

Eventually, I'll get the angled sata to sata cable and I will cut a hole in the back panel of the Armer to allow the other end of the cable to pass through so I can put the back plate back on.

17. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Just to be clear, the "enclosure" was never part of the official "blessing of the drive" it was the BIOS on the assorted Expander drives themselves that were blessed.

18. JCN

JCN Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Okay so I pulled the rear cover off the Roswell case. Disconnected the SATA drive that goes to the board inside the case and ran a SATA cable from the TiVo board directly to the SATA plug on the hard drive. Booted everything up did its thing and it's up and running the only thing is I have no programs recorded. When I go to the system information it shows me that my recording capacity is 1283 HD and free disk is 1281 HD. I didn't look at the drive directly but I think this was the 8 terabyte. I was wondering if my capacity is correct for the drive since I'm assuming it is wiped clean.

19. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    That's correct for an 8TB drive. They probably changed the database schema or the file structure just enough so that the new OS can't find the programs.

You might try a KS57 or KS58 - there's probably nothing to lose at this point.

20. JCN

JCN Member

Feb 4, 2016
    In your opinion do you think it would have made a difference if I didn't hook up the original 500 gig hard drive. Do you think that affected the loss of my programming. Not holding you to the answer, just for thought and also maybe for the future.