Late Show 1/3 Bill O'Reilly

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by brianric, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 4, 2006 #1 of 92
    brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ

Advertisements

I have one Tivo and two Replay TVs. I watch Leno first, then Letterman. After watching Letterman stand his ground against Bill O'Reilly, I got a lot more respect for Letterman. It will now be Letterman first, then Leno.

2. Jan 4, 2006 #2 of 92
    RegBarc

RegBarc Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2003
    I have more respect for both of them now. I'm no big fan of either guy, but I liked to see this side of Lettermen (he had a good grasp on what he was talking about) and a the more calm side of O'Reilly (he also had a good grasp of what he was talking about). I thought Letterman was a little...brash...with O'Reilly, but it was an interesting change from his usual form.

On a side note, how's Pennsville? Alloway/Woodstown native here, and I was active with those ambulance squads in the likely event you know someone. ;)

3. Jan 4, 2006 #3 of 92
    edc

edc Active Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Houston
    I think it was high time someone told O'Reilly "60% of what you say is just crap!"

The kitty and 9-1-1 was very amusing :)

4. Jan 4, 2006 #4 of 92
    barrettd

barrettd Boomer Sooner

Jun 14, 2003
    Oklahoma...
    I didn't think Letterman had a good grasp on anything, including his own anger. He basically dismissed O'Reilly and then admitted he had no idea what he was talking about because he's never seen his show. I like Letterman and all, but he really let his emotions get the best of him.

5. Jan 4, 2006 #5 of 92
    Michelle5150

Michelle5150 Still in Beta

Nov 16, 2004
    Seattle

Advertisements

I was taken aback a bit by it. I'm no O'Reilly fan, and I love Letterman, but Dave seemed ready for something before O'Reilly even came out (witness him swirling his pencil in O'Reilly's cup before he walked out). But O'Reilly had an agenda to stir up trouble before he came out too. He was looking for a fight. Makes me wonder if something didn't happen backstage pre-show.

Dave was a little out of character last night. I think he could have made better arguments, he's a smart guy, but he seemed to let O'Reilly get to him too much and it knocked him off his game a bit.

But the end was priceless: "It's always a pleasure Bill". :D

6. Jan 4, 2006 #6 of 92
    loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    Not to get political here (hard not to with this subject!) but I don't understand Letterman's apparent stance that you have to agree with everything Cindy Sheehan says or you aren't showing her any compassion. Those are two very different things.

7. Jan 4, 2006 #7 of 92
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    ...and, of course, Letterman leveling accusations that 60% of what O'Reilly says is crap, then admitting he doesn't watch O'Reilly.

8. Jan 4, 2006 #8 of 92
    Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't watch O'Reilly's show but I still know that almost everything he says is crap. I've seen his comments in clips on other shows, and I've also seen him on numerous occasions on other talk shows, and 90% of what he says on all of those occasions is complete crap. For example, all that crap about the school changing the lyrics to "Silent Night" is total and complete crap. But he gets away with it because nobody bothers to challenge him most of the time. I applaud Dave for at least calling him on the fact that he's full of crap.

9. Jan 4, 2006 #9 of 92
    ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Perhaps Letterman was talking about the accusations right there on his show? For instance, that Red/Green ban story is complete crap but O'Lielly repeated it anyway. Then he talked about "M One Six in Britain." M 1 6???? Did he actually prepare to say that?

IMHO 60% is a rather generous number.

10. Clarkey

Clarkey We Get Signal

Dec 29, 2004
    Canada
    So let me get this straight, Howard Stern and Bill O'Reilly got along during their interview recently on FOX, while David Letterman and Bill O'Riley didn't on The Late Show on CBS? I would have thought it would have been the other way around, "chachkies" aside. (I've viewed these segments and I'm both surprised and entertained at the same time.)

11. edc

edc Active Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Houston
    The very end of the show where he thanked *some* of the guests was even more priceless.

(1) The "crap" comment, in Quicktime

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/cbs_letterman_oreilly_060103a.mov

(2) Some seem to think this this is a reaction to one of O'Reilly's previous appearances on the Late Show, where he lied to Letterman's face about "Outfoxed."

http://www.jimgilliam.com/2004/10/bill_oreilly_on_letterman_video.php

12. nedthelab

nedthelab New Member

Oct 4, 2002
    SF
    I watch the daily show every night and have seen John tear a new one on many guests he finds reprehensible, plus his stunt on Crossfire. But the two times Bill O has been on, John seem to kiss his A$$ and cower into the corner sucking his thumb. If any one could put bill in his place - which is a iron maiden - it should be John Stewart - IMHO

13. barrettd

barrettd Boomer Sooner

Jun 14, 2003
    Oklahoma...
    And I'm sure that none of these "clips" you've seen were taken out of context or anything...Mind you, I'm not an O'Reilly fan, but at least Dave could have answered Bill's arguments instead of going, "Well, why are we in Iraq," or "Cindy Sheehan blah blah blah". Dave started the argument but then changed subjects when Bill answered his accusations.

14. daperlman

daperlman check the rhime

Jan 25, 2002
    Southeast
    well no matter what you think of either of them - it was great TV. I greatly dislike O'Reilly but he certainly got the better of that exchange.

15. iceturkee

iceturkee Member

May 26, 2005
    actually, i don't think o'reilly got the best of the exchange. even when he called letterman out on the 60 percent crap thing, i knew he would respond with the you can't believe everything you read in the media. i don't think he had a solid argument to back him up.

one of the things i love best about farenheidt (spelling) 911 is when mike moore and the mother of a soldier killed in iraq are walking around the capitol, asking congressmen with children old enough to enlist, would they allow their children to go to this war. of course, they all respond hell no.

when dave asked him if he had a child who had been killed in war and o'reilly responded no, it drove the anger in me. ask yourselves, of all the members of congress who voted for this war, would send their child? that should tell you how two-faced most of these politicos (including our president) are.

btw, i am a veteran, which should explain most of my anger on this subject.

16. stujac

stujac Member

Jan 26, 2002

How many times must you say you're not an O'Reilly fan for you to believe it? I don't.

17. rizzlebizzle

rizzlebizzle in the hizzle

Oct 14, 2005
    Jersey
    Sound logic...

18. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I lean left on my politcal views, but to me, guys like O'Reilly and Stern (on the other extreme), are entertainers. They say outrageous things to get a reaction, to publicity. Heck, we are all talking about it here. That's his shtick. He throws things out there and it gets us to discuss. Of course most of what he says is crap, same with Stern or anyone else, including most of our politiicans out there. What annoys me more than what they say, is the reaction by "activists" on both sides of the fence who take what they say as the "gospel truth" and spin it to better their political views. I didn't see the Letterman show, but THAT is the tact i would take with O'Reilly. I would say, "Bill how much of this crap do you say for publicity? How much of it do you say just to get the extreme right riled up?"

19. Hansky

Hansky Active Member

Nov 17, 2005
    I finally watched it, and that is about what Dave did. Bill may or may not be correct on the subject matter, but I do not believe Dave came back with a single response or counter-argument. All he did was sit back and come up with meaningless quips like "I don't believe you," "That is 60% crap," etc. No substance at all.

That, and the responses you propose, play well with people who don't actually know, or want to know, the real facts and only want to see a good spat.

The tactic I would use is actually learning the issue and facts, and challenging the other person on that basis.

20. daperlman

daperlman check the rhime

Jan 25, 2002
    Southeast
    Well I do think most of what O'Reilly says is crap. But Letterman said that and O'Reilly basically asked what he meant and to which Letterman basically says that is what I heard, but I don't watch your show...so I dunno. Advantage O'Reilly there. Then Letterman basically accuses O'Reilly of being heartless and cruel for not sympathizing with Sheehan (which is a totally lame arguement... of course everyone sympathizes with a parent who loses a child, but that doesn't give carte blanche on what they say).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.