Late night tv scams. How are they allowed?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, May 23, 2019.

1. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I woke up around 3 am this morning. The tv was tuned to some random channel I don't remember switching to. There was an infomercial for some tv televangelist named Peter Popoff running. It was full of testimonials from what seemed like ordinary people saying that after they sent away for his free "miracle spring water" all of their debts were miraculously forgiven. Student loan debt, personal debt, IRS debt... 100s of dollars, thousands of dollars, tens of thousands of dollars of debt erased simply by sending away for his free spring water. Then there were the crippled people whom he touched who suddenly were moving like backup dancers for Beyonce.

I looked him up on wikipedia and he's been exposed as a cheat and a fraud numerous times. So how does he get back on tv when he's a known scam artist who rips off gullible consumers? As someone who has racked up some debt over the years, the people who lent me the money aren't so generously forgiving.

2. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Sounds like you need to get his water. ;)

But, seriously, I agree that it doesn't seem right that all they have to do is pay for the air time and they can sell all kinds of crazy. It's a terrible shame that all they care about is selling the spot of air time to anybody who will pay - paying, no doubt, with the money they screwed others out of. :mad:

Mikeguy likes this.
  3. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    It kind of reminds me of Kevin Trudeau. His infomercials continue to air even though he was convicted of fraud and ultimately sent to prison.

4. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Money talks. TV stations will sell ads to anyone who's willing to pay. I suppose they don't have a strict vetting process.

5. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The people who had their loans paid off by simply asking for his free magical water are obviously frauds but I wonder how he recruits them and subsequently keeps them quiet about the fraud.

I'm pretty sure his free magical spring water works better and better the higher your voluntary donation goes.

6. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    You keep hearing about people being charged with wire fraud and using the US mail to commit crimes. IS there no tv equivalent for fraudulent behavior?

7. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    Here's a guy who gets a lot of mail about "miracle water." :)

Warning: Profanity

8. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    I think it has a lot to do with religion. They are less likely going to refuse religious programming then if were for something else.

9. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I seem to recall the repeal of a truth in advertising law about 30 years ago. Could it have anything to do with that.

10. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    Peter Popoff is still around? Holy crap!

Hank likes this.
  11. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    These people are scum. They steal from folks who can least afford it and give them false hope. Complete and utter scum.

12. warrenn

warrenn Active Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Tivoverse
    I imagine that they keep things "truthful" by putting some kind of disclaimer at the end in 1-point font which says that results may vary.

13. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Nor Cal
    If it works the same as it does in radio, a lot of those commercials are what's called "per inquiry" The station gets a cut every time someone calls. That's why, if you've noticed and there is zero reason you should have, the phone number or offer code changes depending on what channel you see the commercial on. Still scummy though.

14. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Would love to know what channel this was.
    I,would email them

15. Fixer

Fixer Fixin' it!!

Mar 29, 2005
    The Great...
    While flipping channels one late night a month or so ago, I saw it on BET.

16. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    They'll put anything on late night TV if a sponsor is willing to pay for the time slot. The station isn't responsible for the sponsor's ad content as long as it falls within FCC guidelines.

17. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    This gives MR Brain an idea. I think I will sell my blood claiming immortality. what do you think, will I make money over this?

18. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    You need to find the news department of a competing station who is interested in doing a story about airing of such fraudulent infomercials. :)

19. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    accept no substitutions.;)