Last Comic Standing - OAD 7/25/07

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mcb08, Jul 26, 2007.

1. mcb08

mcb08 Hoya for life!!

Mar 10, 2006
    The 6ix
    No thread for this yet?? 2 Canadians in the finals!!! I was surprised that Matt Kirshen (perma-grin) got chosen over Dwayne Perkins. Hard to really argue with any of the selections, given that we don't know what's been edited out.

2. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Yeah I was only half watching and liked Dwayne.

I don't have as many issues this week as last week. I am a little concerned about this mix in the house but we shall see.

3. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I really didn't have any problem with who they picked to move on from this episode unlike last week. I think Lavelle is really funny. I've seen the 'why you breathin so heavy' joke before in the previews and I still laughed when he told it this week.

4. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Probably because I watch too much stand up on comedy central I'd already seen Dwayne Perkins make that exact joke.

Only person I really wanted to make it but didn't was the offensive Australian lady, I thought she was hilarious every time I saw her.

Overall though, much better choices than last week.

5. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I dunno - I thought there were far funnier people in both groups that who actually got through to the finals.

Definitely the Australian mom and the black woman should have made it through over any one other than Lavelle.

6. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I'm glad Lavelle moved on. By the way I still think Mel Silverback's voice is extremely familiar!!

7. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    The only one I was surprised to see win was the hillbilly. I've heard enough "you know you're a redneck" jokes, no originality there.

I thought the thin black guy was better.

8. MitchO

MitchO Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ
  9. brnscofrnld

brnscofrnld where is this place?

Mar 29, 2005
    NW. DC.
    As long as Levelle made it through. As for Dwayne Perkins, I thought he was better then some of the others that made it.

I usually watch most of the comedy central standups, but I have not caught Dwayne yet. Guess I will have to set up something to catch him next time he comes on.

10. grant33

grant33 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Manassas, VA
    I'm just not sold on Lavelle. I laughed during his act, but I just wonder if he has anything other than the jokes about himself being fat. That gets old pretty quickly.

11. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I thought all the choices were right this week. I did like the job applicant joke but overall found the people they chose to have better comedy skills. Matt Kirschen's timing is really, really good. Gerry Dee has great energy. The hickory guy's set was cause for concern - I don't want to see someone less funny than the blue collar folks making the same jokes - but I did like his shaking head joke. As long as he keeps it fresh like that he'll be fine. He seemed to kill, so I'm not surprised he went on.

This week we saw a much greater portion of the sets of some of the chosen ones.

I might have chosen the other lady with brownish-red hair who was a bit more eeyoreish in her delivery. But both were entertaining.

12. GDG76

GDG76 .

Oct 2, 2000
    I can't believe the lady who had the "I don't even like licking stamps" joke didn't make it in. Of what they showed us, she was the funniest IMO...

13. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Thanks I couldn't remember his name -

Gerry Dee is the ONE that I absolutely couldn't understand getting through - that seemed like they were letting him through because he's been around a long time rather than he was funny. IN fact, his set was totally UNfunny. There were far more deserving comics in that group.

14. brnscofrnld

brnscofrnld where is this place?

Mar 29, 2005
    NW. DC.
    +1

on gerry dee not good enough...

15. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    What we saw of his act was not great but I could tell he has potential as a comic. He had good energy and decent timing. Just needed better jokes to tell.

16. montag

montag New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    I can't believe the Seinfeld look-a-like didn't make it.

17. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I'm glad he didn't - there's just something about his look that creeps me out.

18. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I just got an interesting email from one of the comics whose email list I am on who didn't make it through to the finals - Sabrina Matthews - and she made a very interesting point after very nicely supporting the show as a great place for exposure for comics...

"Ant, Alonzo Boden, and Kathleen Madigan were there to keep the show moving along, but don't forget, they are "talent scouts" not "judges". When all is said and done, the producers are looking for the ten people who they think will give them a season of the best possible interactions in the situations in which they're placed."

Point being that the producers picked a mix to serve the reality aspect of the show rather than basing the finalists solely on who is the funniest.