Last Comic Standing OAD 7/18

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MitchO, Jul 18, 2007.

1. MitchO

MitchO Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ

Advertisements

I hate when reality shows get the choices wrong. And this show seems to see to do it consistently. :( They actually picked two of the three I hated the most.

2. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I don't know that any one really got my attention. A couple of them did, but the one I'm really hoping makes it through is the big black guy that looks like he'll be on next week!

3. EvilMidniteBombr

EvilMidniteBombr what bomz at midnite

May 25, 2006
    Parts...
    I really think that Gina was a bad choice. She was simply not funny.

4. MitchO

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ
    Lavell ("big black guy") seems to have slightly awkward delivery timing, but I'm sure it's partially intentional to go with the "trouble breathing" shtick. His material, however, is pure genius.

He and Mel Silverback and my favorites overall. We'll see what happens next week, I guess.

5. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS

Advertisements

Thank you for the name, it's burned in my brain now..... I'm horrible with names though! :) At least you knew who I was talking about!

6. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Total crap. I am in particular really annoyed that tommy johnagan(sp?) did not make it. In both of his performances he had creativity, was funny, and was the best performance of the night. The producers obviously want annoying or unusual people in the house this time. At least they didn't make any pretense that the judges had a say on who went through this year.

The fat lady and the guy who did the bug-eyed grandfather were not even remotely funny. I can't believe you would call his material genius... it's just the same tired old crap you can hear from almost any comedian. I vaguely recall liking him in the previous episode he was on, though. What did he do then?

I am assuming the fat chick is there because she combines roz and the short annoying chick together into one person, leaving room for one more comic this season. Sorry to use a derogatory term, I can't remember her name. Is that gina or is that the british lady?

Poopy poop poop

7. MitchO

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ
    TA -

You identified the exact two people who I meant in my first post (for the record, my third hated comedian was generic lesbian). I cannot STAND to listen to Donna DiGiovanni ("fat chick"). Gina is the Nigerian Brit. Last night's bit wasn't the best, but I can at least theoretically understand why she has potential. And the audience votes for the guy who does imitations? Ugh.

8. mcb08

mcb08 Hoya for life!!

Mar 10, 2006
    The 6ix
    Anyone know how long each set is? I seem to recall 3 minutes, but I'm not sure. Hard to pass judgement when you don't know what's been edited out. *shrug*

9. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I didn't mind Gina. She has potential. I couldn't even remember what the audience favorite did in his act it was so unmemorable.

10. EvilMidniteBombr

May 25, 2006
    Parts...
    The audience favorite did all the same generic impressions that have been used for decades. Jack Nicholson, Gilbert Gottfried, Christopher Lloyd (as Reverend Jim Ignatowski from Taxi), and Robert De Niro. All as the cast from The Wizard of Oz. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

So far I am not that impressed with the cast. I am glad to see the guy that was a 2 time semifinalist make it to the next round.

11. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Yeah I was Shocked an impressionist got the Audience Choice. When I saw Dante doing those stale impressions, I thought there is no way he could go through. That is the epitome of Hack.

We are seriously going to have to deal with a guy who just does old impressions like Rich Little Jr was in the house? Can't wait until he rolls out his Frank Sinatra or Jimmy Cagney in a showdown.

12. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    I really like the first guy... with the weird voice who's always got his hands on his head.

I was sorry to see him go.

Other than Doug Benson making it, the rest of the episode was horrible.

13. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I don't recall the audition shows Dante was on and I've since deleted them, but did he do nothing but impressions in those shows? I guess I don't remember that.

Also, the impressions were what made it on TV. Was that the sum total of his set? As someone else mentioned, it's hard to judge based soley on what we see in the broadcast.

That said, I wasn't impressed with the Canadian chick (and didn't the opening of her act fall flat? - no reaction at all, IIRC). The Grandpa imitation was a lot worse than the Wizard of Oz thing (which I actually found rather funny). I didn't like the Harris guy (can't remember his first name) in the auditions and last night didn't change my mind. May have gotten by on his cred having done stand-up for a while, I believe.

I generally don't agree with a lot of the people they put through on these things. I usually resign myself to watch, enjoy what I like, and not sweat the rest of it too much.

14. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I don't remember him doing impression prior. I am sure that would have stuck.

He probably does have other stuff, but how much did they get to show there 5 minutes? 10 minutes? Yet he got to spend a good minute on tv doing hack impressions. His well can not be very deep if he is doing those during the most critical set of his life.

Doug Benson is the only one of them I have ever seen before, besides on this show.

15. jdfs

jdfs Unspecial Member

Oct 21, 2002
    There is no house this year. I agree Doug benson is the only one I would have picked out of those five.

Can't wait for Silverback next week.

16. wmm_16

wmm_16 New Member

Jul 10, 2003
    sioux falls, sd

I actually saw Tommy about a month before the show started at a local club. It was the exact same material he is using on the show and I have to say, he's not that funny in person.

17. Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    So there is no house? Just America Idol for comics?

Last season was pretty horrible. Guess it hasn't really been funny in the house since Rich Vos.

18. brnscofrnld

brnscofrnld where is this place?

Mar 29, 2005
    NW. DC.
    Can't tell you his name off the top of my head, but he has a pretty good set that was on Comedy Central a few years back.

I've seen him on BET a couple of times when they have a little standup show. He usually dresses in a 3 piece suit and sweats like no one's business. At least I think that is the same guy. Hilarious either way.

19. EvilMidniteBombr

May 25, 2006
    Parts...
    I think the last season the cast stayed onboard the Queen Mary instead of a house. Maybe they are going to do the same this season.

(I can't get it out of my head that last season was the second time the cast stayed on a ship. But I can't find anything about it. Is it my imagination or not? Maybe it was a different show that did it, too? I know The Biggest Loser spent a day or so on a cruise ship so that's not it)

20. ping

ping New Member

Oct 3, 2005