Last Comic Standing 8/1/07 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by marksman, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Aug 1, 2007 #1 of 19
    marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I am a bit torn about the fact that there is no house and they don't live together this year. I think it added a dynamic that makes the show better, but I think it ultimately impacts on the actual competition in a negative way. I guess we will see how it works out.

As for the final 3, well after Dante and whats her name went, I thought Ralph would win by default. I watched them each for like 90 seconds and did not laugh so just fast-forwarded through the rest. Unfortunately I ended up doing the same thing on him. I did not really think any of them were funny.

As for this stupid $1000 prize, get rid of it or make it something reasonable. It sounds stupid for a primetime network show to be giving out $1000 prizes to finalists on the show for winning a week.

2. Aug 2, 2007 #2 of 19
    MrGreg

MrGreg New Member

May 2, 2003
    Ralph's bit started out slow but built up and ended well. It was [edited to be] clear the audience liked him best.

3. Aug 2, 2007 #3 of 19
    montag

montag New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    Dante and that other chick put on a brutal performance. Not funny at all.

And what's up with that big fat guy winning immunity. He also was not funny. I really think people see the humongous black guy with a very strangely shaped head and think he has got to be funny. "huh, huh, I'm fat" "huh, huh, I'm lazy".....The guy is not funny.

Also, we saw some really bad hecklers last night.

I was surprised by the younger blonde girl. She handled the heckler well and was quite funny.

4. Aug 2, 2007 #4 of 19
    Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Need more Mel Silverback!!! Loved it when he showed up to drive the short bus!!

5. Aug 2, 2007 #5 of 19
    aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    His act during that challenge wasn't that funny, but I thought he handled the heckling well. His heckling itself was weak, though.

Why is there a fetus in the third row? I thought I took care of you in college. :D

Glad to see Dante and Gina gone. I can't believe the hackiest of hacky impressions Dante did to get picked for the finals. I like impressions, but his were the same ones every impressionist in history does. He also seemed like a PITA, and took being challenged way too personally. And Gina, I just never found funny at all.

It's a pretty weak crop this year all around.

Someone needs to teach Bill Bellamy how to do voiceovers. Why does he scream like that? It sounds totally different from when he's on stage.

6. Aug 2, 2007 #6 of 19
    EvilMidniteBombr

EvilMidniteBombr what bomz at midnite

May 25, 2006
    Parts...
    I am so glad to see Gina and Dante gone.

Like I said when the finalists were picked, Gina was not funny at all. She was definitely not funny during the head to head competition.

Dante and all four of his generic impersonations can hit the bricks! YES! I liked him until he did those impressions a couple of shows previous. And didn't he say that the routine he was getting ready to do was his best? Ooooo. Swing and a miss!

The guy that won. (how sad is it that I can't remember his name?) Really put in a great routine! He didn't have me laughing myself silly, but his act was solid. That was a lot of stuff to remember and deliver it as fast as he did. This guy might win the whole thing. Definitely one of the top 5.

7. Aug 2, 2007 #7 of 19
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    Didn't read the posts, but for those in the Twin Cities area, I think Bravo has a broadcast of last night's episode tonight (maybe - I'm at work and can't remember for sure - within the next few days, anyway). It was pre-empted on KARE due to the coverage of the bridge collapse.

8. Aug 2, 2007 #8 of 19
    Droobiemus

Droobiemus PSWii60

Sep 30, 2004
    Might as...
    She was a funny heckler, too.

"Do you tell that joke when you're performing at Hogwarts?" "Did you learn a lot when you found the ring?"

I'm disappointed that Deborah whatshername is still in the competition. She is just not funny at all, IMO. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

9. Aug 2, 2007 #9 of 19
    MitchO

MitchO Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ
    Amy lucked out by having fetusboy (his new name now in my house, btw) as her heckler. Easy target, his voice can't project over hers, not constant ...

10. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I didn't think any of the three finalists were particulary funny. The winner proved he's a fast talker, but that doesn't mean he's funny.
    The $1000 winner really did well in the Heckling Challange, I thought he deserved to win. He may win it all.

11. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Hm... I thought lavell slaughtered his heckler mercilessly. There was a big flaw in the format this time around, though, because the audience was instructed to vote based on how they handled the heckler and not the combination of heckling and handling the heckling. Therefore lavell's "heckling" was actually really intelligent, because it's pretty hard to handle a heckler well if they don't heckle much.

The blonde girl was second best. I'm definitely liking her a lot more after hearing her handle the heckling, though. She's edgy and thinks about inappropriate but funny things. Definitely glad she's still around. I even liked her joke about immunity. Oh and she's pretty cute too. I liked the hogwart's comment but I also enjoyed his response about reading adult books.

Maybe I'm just hung up on physical appearances, but that lottery ball thing seemed like it was fixed. All the people seemed to be paired with someone similar to them. The two obese people, two black people, two blonde white guys, two youngest, two creepy brunette guys. What was the point? I guess it looked kind of dramatic.

12. EvilMidniteBombr

EvilMidniteBombr what bomz at midnite

May 25, 2006
    Parts...
    I think they should handle the heckling challenge a bit differently. Stick with me here...

Put all the contestants in the crowd. Scatter them randomly throughout. Then go with one of two things. Either A) have them all take turns heckling, or B) Don't let anyone know who is assigned to the comedian on stage until they actually start heckling.

That way, the situation will seem a little more real and the comedian won't have time to prepare their response. It's more likely they will be thrown off guard and taken out of their routine.

13. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Yeah I would have thought she would have been an early target just because of her lack of experience compared to most of the others. But she was not really a target.

I also thought she did fairly well.

Interesting observation about the pairings. Does seem suspicious. Of course we all know Peter Engle would never stage anything for this show. :)

14. Magister

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    The final three stunk. None of those three was funny during thier set. Dante was horrific. The manic Robin Williams wanna-be thing is so played out.

The heckling portion of the show was a lot better.

15. TAsunder

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    The heckling portion was the highlight of the season in the past. I wish they would do it every week!

I thought they were all unfunny too, but I enjoyed the performance of the guy who won just in terms of difficulty and delivery. That last run-on sentence was really entertaining.

16. NinerK

NinerK New Member

Oct 10, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    The term "played out" has lost its edge. It has become passe'. It is old.

Catch my drift?

17. NinerK

NinerK New Member

Oct 10, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Echoing the sentiments above, this season has been rather disappointing. The one gal, from St. Louis who was understated should have been a finalist.

I agree with the whole pairing thing and EMBomber was right on, make it a secret who's going to heckle you. Perfect solution in your post EMB.

I'm gonna bounce. I'm outtie 5,000 G, gotta get back to the crib and chill before my style is played out.

P.S. Just playin' Magister!

18. TAsunder

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I don't think this season has been disappointing. I think the average level of funniness of the finalists this year is well above any other year.

19. Magister

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    No bad... Just keep'n it real...