Largest drive usable in S2, WinMfs and moving DVDs to S2

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tommage1, Oct 12, 2020.

1. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008

Advertisements

First of all what is the largest drive that can be used with an S2? I assume can use a Sata drive with a Sata to IDE adapter. Use WinMFS to copy and expand to the large Sata drive. I know S3 limited to 2TB, not sure about S2.

I am asking because I found I can copy pics, tapes AND DVDs to my S2. In fact I have been able to copy retail Blurays to my S2. Not ALL work, one DVD failed but two DVDs worked and two BluRays so far. The DVDs copied with no copy protection intact so can move/copy to later model Tivos. The BluRays copied but with CP intact so cannot move them to other Tivos. But still interesting and fun.

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    There are details about this in the forum. I think you have to look for a specific PCI to IDE adapter and I think 1TB is the largest drive, but you might be able to have two drives with different IDE cable. Would be interesting to try an SSD.

tommage1 likes this.
  3. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Thanks. Found an old thread about it (2009 I think), as you say 1TB is mentioned. Though they talk about MFSLive, perhaps changed later, S3 limit went up to 2 TB from 1.x TB at one time. I will try with my Sata to IDE adapter. If it works, great, if not, have to decide if I want to buy one that will. Never been a fan of two drives in a Tivo. And yes, SSD would be an interesting experiment in a S2, if my IDE adapter works maybe I will try :) The copying of DVDs and Blurays is very interesting, just did a 5 hour Bluray. At "best" quality it takes up 11.x GB on the S2. Looks pretty good too. There is a built in "copy from VHS or camera" function on the DVD writer S2s (Pioneer and Toshiba). A "regular" S2 does not have it. The function is nice, you can pick a name for the recording, choose recording quality, input, length of recording. Also has a countdown timer so you can start playing the DVD or whatever you are copying at the right time. Manual says VHS and camera, specifically says DVD players and video game systems will not work. But I have proven that wrong, at least for DVD player and Bluray player.

4. JLV03

JLV03 Active Member

Feb 12, 2018
    How are you copying Blurays? Connecting to the video inputs on the S2?

5. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008

Advertisements

Yes. One bluray player did not work, said it could not output through composite. The the next one I tried did. As I mentioned the DVD writer S2s have a built in function for copying files to the actual Tivo/hard drive, makes it nice. Can do with a regular S2 also but without the niceties, naming of recording and the countdown timer. And remember, I'm talking about RETAIL DVDs and Blurays, if you copy videos you made yourself (ie no copy protection) should be able to copy most anything. AND move to later model Tivos. Once copied to the S2.

6. JLV03

JLV03 Active Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Ahhhh, I see, using the analog loophole.

At this point there are plenty of options for ripping both DVD and Bluray on a computer that will not do any more compression. Then use Plex or any other type of server based software to stream to almost anything. Except for a TiVo, of course.

7. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    For me the fun of it is having these on a Tivo. Obviously the quality will not even be close to the original but it's a lot better than I thought it would be. 2 for 2 on Bluray so far, 3 for 5 on DVD. Best quality about 2GB per hour, even with tiny 120GB in my Toshiba that would be about 50 movies.

8. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    If you have a Premiere or a Roamio you could try the analog output on those to your S2 with streaming apps.

9. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    I've got a 2TB drive in my S3 but I don't think it uses the full 2TB but it uses more than 1TB.

10. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    I have 2TB in my S3s. And they use the entire 2TB now. Was not always that way, somewhere along the line Tivo did something where you could use the full 2TB. With yours not sure if you'd have to start from scratch or if you could use something like WinMFS to expand your current 2TB to it's full capacity.

shwru980r likes this.
  11. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    My Sata expansion in S2 has stalled. I was able to create 1TB Sata S2 drive with WinMFS. But I want to put it in the Pioneer, when I took it apart I see the drives are mounted on a plate, and the IDE connections on the board are underneath the plate. Not going to mess with that, even if I did my Sata to IDE adapter would not fit, well it would fit but would not be able to put the plate back on. Will either need a gender adapter to attach to the IDE cable coming from under the plate or a different adapter that will connect directly to that IDE cable, IDE connection on the board itself is out.

shwru980r likes this.
  12. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Can you just attach the SATA to IDE adapter to the SATA connection on the hard drive and then connect the existing Tivo IDE ribbon cable to the SATA adapter?

13. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    No, the Tivo IDE cable is the wrong gender to plug into my particular adapter. Which is why I'd need a gender changer to try it that way. But since I don't even know if my adapter will work period I'd probably be better off buying a new adapter, one that is definitely known to work.

shwru980r likes this.