Largest drive Edge will format itself

Discussion in 'TiVo Edge' started by tommage1, Jun 16, 2020.

1. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Has anyone found out what is the largest drive an Edge will format itself? I'm assuming 3TB like the Bolt but maybe not? Has anyone upgraded to a drive larger than 3TB, if so, how, MFSR or MFST?

mllacey likes this.
  2. mllacey

mllacey Member TCF Club

Jan 10, 2005
    I'm wondering the same but have not seen attempts in the fourm to upgrade the TiVo Edge hard Drive. I find find a video on YouTube for a Weakness external hard installation.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

3. chiwolve

chiwolve New Member

Jan 25, 2014
    +1

4. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Yes, they sell larger than 3TB I think but don't know how they do it. Have not heard of a user done upgrade or replacement. From the video can see the Sata drive connection is one piece (power and data) so they made a custom cable so they could connect to data only

5. mllacey

mllacey Member TCF Club

Jan 10, 2005
    I have been searching for the cable that they are using but have only found the Female 22 pin vs the Male 22 pin version that they are using.

6. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    They built that cable themselves. I am thinking might be able to use a Sata data cable with a male end at one end. Break off the plastic tabs to each side of the connection.

M F Sata.jpg

7. mllacey

mllacey Member TCF Club

Jan 10, 2005
    The following is from the self install kit for their TiVo Edge external drive.

Note the cable in the middle. It connects to the TiVo Sata cable rather than directly to the Sata port, effectively providing an eSATA connection to it's eSATA chassis.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

8. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Yeah, the cable in the middle connects to the one piece Sata connection on the Edge board. But only uses the data. Then runs out of the Edge and connects to the extender cable which connects to the external case. They basically go Sata to ESata. When doing that the enclosure is very important, not all will work with a Tivo since there are electronics involved in the ESata connection. That case looks similar to what I used for my Bolt external upgrade. It is probably a Rosewill, mine is a Sabrent, I think they can be the same/similar. I personally prefer Sata to Sata, no Esata electronics to possibly cause issues. If I was going to do a Edge upgrade I'd try the cable I pictured to connect to the port inside the Edge (hopefully connection would still be snug after breaking off the tabs), run it out of the Edge, then have another cable connect to it, the second cable connects directly to the Sata port on the drive in the enclosure. Then the two cables connect in the middle. Use the power connection in the enclosure to power the drive (enclosure must allow separate connections to data and power to the actual drive).

9. mllacey

mllacey Member TCF Club

Jan 10, 2005
    I will let you know as my Cable TiVo Edge is on its way and plan to upgrade from 2TB to 10TB.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

3 Cushion John likes this.
  10. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Sounds good, am interested. FYI here is my thread on the external for the Bolt (this would be exactly the same except for the cable which connects to the MB since the Edge has the one piece connection.) The model of the enclosure I used is further down in the thread. Keep in mind I did NOT test it with the Esata port on the enclosure, I went strictly Sata to Sata.

TE4 Bolt upgrade with external drive

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  11. mllacey

mllacey Member TCF Club

Jan 10, 2005
    I recently did the same.

[​IMG][​IMG]

tommage1 likes this.
  12. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Very nice :) Am curious, how are you going to get the drive to 10TB? There are ways to do with Roamio/Bolt, MFStools (or MFSR if 8TB or less.) I personally don't know anyone who has done it with an Edge, other than Weaknees. Wonder if the Edge partition setup is same as TE4 Bolt. You will have some interesting things to try with an Edge since starting fresh :)

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Does MSFR work with the EDGE like the Bolt? That can be used to add a large drive like that. Although i think you need a special version of it to work with a drive that large.
    MFS Reformatter (mfsr)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    mllacey likes this.
  14. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Sounds like we might find out :) If I got an Edge the things I would try would be:

See what size drive it will format itself to full capacity.
    Try an 8TB drive with MFSR only, both Sata to Sata and Sata to Esata.
    Try larger than 8TB with MFST, again both Sata to Sata and Sata to Esata.

Again the I think the enclosure can be critical for the Esata upgrades as electronics/different chipsets involved.

mllacey likes this.
  15. mllacey

mllacey Member TCF Club

Jan 10, 2005
    There is a newer version of MFSR that will format any drive larger than 8TB to 8TB, then I was able to use MFS Tools to expand the drive to the full 10TB.

I then copied over the season pass list of my Roamio to and let it run for over a month to confirm no issues.

I hope to do the same with the TiVo Edge when it arrives as it appears Weakness is doing something similar with their TiVo Edge upgrade.

tommage1 and aaronwt like this.
  16. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Yes, hopefully Tivo did not change anything with TE4 software for the Edge, partition layouts whatever.

You probably already thought of all this but I will post it anyway in case someone else wants to try the "tests". Should be able to do all the tests with one 10TB drive. First thing I would do is test the drive itself, full R/W/R as jmbach recommends. Would probably take days if not a week, but would KNOW the drive is good. Then the tests.

Put in the 10TB, let the Edge format it. When it gets to guided setup don't pull it, complete guided setup. Then can look at system screen and see how much it formatted itself. Compare to what hours should be for 3/4/whatever TB drives.

Next pull the drive, blank it, then let the Edge format it again. This time when it gets to guided setup pull it and run MFSR. Put it back in and it should see 8TB. MFSR 8TB only for this test. Can test with Sata and ESata connections to external at this point. If interested could run a day or two, do some recordings etc, see how it goes.

Last test and what you would end up using I guess, pull the drive and blank it again. Put it back in, get to guided setup. Pull and run MFSR. But this time also use MFST to get the full 10TB. Then can test with both direct Sata to Sata or Sata to Esata. ESata looks cleaner if it works. And it seems to work for Weaknees with their specific enclosure. I myself would feel safer with Sata to Sata if you don't mind having to run a cable out of the enclosure.

Good luck, am looking forward to hearing how it goes, whichever "tests" you decide to run :)

aaronwt likes this.
  17. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Appears someone put a 5TB 2.5" SMR drive in a Edge. And not only does it work (at least it boots up), the Edge formatted the full 5TB!!! The post is in the upgrade thread.

Also awhile back someone was upgrading a Bolt or a Roamio. Don't remember which, and don't remember if TE3 or TE4. They put in a fresh 4TB. And they said "luckily it formatted the full 4TB". I kind of discounted it at the time. But maybe one of Tivos software upgrades changed something so Roamio/Bolt will format more than 3TB? Unfortunately I don't have any spare drives over 4TB but I might flip the 4TB into a TE3 test Roamio to see what happens. No subscription so can't switch to TE4.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  18. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Test with non subscription Roamio with TE3 inconclusive. It would not even format a 4TB drive to 3TB, under 2TB is all it did. Probably because of no subscription. Maybe someone else could test current maximum format with Roamio or Bolt? Make sure you have the latest OS version.

justen_m likes this.
  19. 3 Cushion John

3 Cushion John Member

Oct 15, 2019
    I plan to upgrade my new Edge to 5T internal also. Edge arriving today. Couldn't find the post you mentioned. 2 bolts, 1 just died. All lights start flashing after a week or less.

20. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Further down in this thread. Please post if your 5TB upgrade goes well, ie it works and Edge formats the whole 5TB.

Anyone open up an Edge yet