Kominsky Method - anyone watching on Netflix? Season spoilers allowed

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by milo99, Dec 17, 2018.

1. milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Falls...

Advertisements

Wife and I checked it out last night. It's pretty good. We had plenty of laugh out loud moments, but it's not just pure comedy, there's more depth to it. The writing and banter is really good. We binged the first 5 episodes and are hooked.

2. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    Watched the whole season and loved it. Superb acting, interesting storylines, good mix of funny and drama. Hope there’s a second season!

3. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    Made it through three episodes. It's a dark comedy...emphasis on dark.

4. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it. TCF Club

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    We really loved it and wish the season had more episodes. I hope they plan on a second season.

5. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN

Advertisements

Disagree...I thoroughly enjoy this (being in the target demo obviously helps). And I don't find it to be dark at all...you should have stuck with it.

6. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Loved it.

7. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I watched one episode and it seemed like one of those LA inside baseball acting shows where you have two actors meeting at some LA area restaurant complaining about Hollywood and their lives. Curb Your Enthusasm sort of ruined that whole genre for me by making fun of it.

8. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I will repeat...stick with it. Gets better and better...

9. milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Falls...
    not at all like Curb. wasn't a fan of that show to be honest. this show has some smart and clever writing. and puts on full display how guys give each other crap all the time - especially to their buddies they love most. So i relate to that humor pretty well.

jr461 likes this.
  10. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Disliked Curb. That one was like fingernails on a blackboard for me. Loved Kominsky Method.

11. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I've watched maybe 3-4 eps so far. Love it. Really well-written, and perfectly cast. You can see a whiff of Chuck Lorre in the writing, although this is outside his typical sitcom-ish style.

Stick with it. Really gets better.

12. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    We binged it all one sitting. Loved it. And count me as one who also can't stand Larry David and Curb... This was incredibly fun and thought provoking at the same time.

13. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    I thought this was great. I binged through the whole thing in about a week. It seemed like for the most part it was about putting great actors together, entrust them with the material, and see how it goes. And the results were excellent.

14. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Alan Arkin is sure getting around these days. Another thumbs up for me.

15. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    Also loved it.

16. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    Another reason why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream. I am the target demo...if you mean 65+.

17. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I caught Michael Douglas on a recent WTF podcast with Marc Maron. He sounded a bit "off" ... like he had a few drinks prior to the interview. I also thought it might have been side effects of his recent tongue cancer (originally diagnosed and reported to be throat cancer). That's where I learned about this new show, so I was interested to discover that he sounded perfectly fine throughout the series, so I am leaning towards attributing any speech issues to likely indulging in a few "wobbly-pops" before the podcast. I enjoyed "The Kominsky Method" and hope there will be a second season.

18. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    We loved it too (and also target demo). It was dark because it dealt a bit with depression, alcoholism and death, but there was also a lot of redemption and light hearted banter. It felt a little bit in style with something like CYE without the zanyness that's Larry David, but culturally very similar. Anyway, it's not really dark, but maybe it helps to understand the ethnicity of the characters. I don't know.

19. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I think it had some CYE in it for sure, it just wasn't "out there". It was much more subtle. But, honestly, I think it was very "Hollywood Jewish", so perhaps that doesn't appeal to a lot of people.

20. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    I didn't get a CYE vibe at all. The zaniness and over the top behavior is what defines CYE. I thought this was thoughtfully written and was maybe more bittersweet than dark in dealing with many serious issues (particularly concerning aging) but with witty dialog and wonderful interactions between the 2 of them.

MScottC and astrohip like this.