Knight Rider "Knight to King's Pawn" OAD 01/21/09

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by morac, Jan 22, 2009.

1. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ

Advertisements

I guess no one's watching this any more since there's no thread on the episode, but this episode finished the reboot of the series. Most of the main characters are now either dead or just gone and pretty much all the "secrets" were revealed.

The episode itself was pretty bland and the final battle between KITT and Optimus Prime KARR was extremely anti-climatic. It was obvious that the script was written very quickly to try and tie up all the loose ends and basically wipe the slate clean.

The reboot is designed to make the new Knight Rider more like the original one, but I don't think that will really help. I don't see the series being renewed for next year.

2. su719

su719 Member

Apr 4, 2004
    I would like to see it more like the original. The terror theme is just too exhausted at this part and we need to go back to helping the little guy in everyday life.

3. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    At least Mike and Sarah finally resolved their sexual tension. :)

I wonder if Richard Burgi's character will be a background nemesis for them, so that they have to watch their backs all the time in addition to helping the little guy.

In addition to possessing at least half a billion dollars for FLAG's budget, does Sarah now own Knight Industries, as well?

4. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    If I'm understanding it correctly, everything that belonged to KI and FLAG was transferred to her account. I'm guessing that includes deeds since it is implied that she owns the SIC building.

5. hughvh

hughvh Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Richardson, TX

Advertisements

I'm disappointed that they are staying in that CIC (?) building. I was kinda hoping for a roaming the country theme. An 18-wheel would have been nice, but not necessary. :)

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I think they could still do this. There could be a dozen 18 wheelers spread out across the country. :)

I was starting to get bored with the stories up to this point. At least now they have another route to take. I know FLAG is supposed to be autonomous, but there has to be some authority that gives them that.

7. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Probably the same authority that allows private security firms and/or bounty hunters to exist.

8. Test

Test Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2004
    I didn't notice until I saw this episode but optimus prime does a bad robot impression...he is much better in his own series/movie. I was also hoping something would go wrong with downloading kitt and maybe they couldn't get his voice back so they fell back to mr. feeny. No such luck, something went wrong with the dl, but it was because an xbox went to some music sharing site and downloaded a packet of kitt? and the team had to go to the xbox and play halo 3 to retreive the "orb"...lame. I figured the reboot would at least make kitt less "magical", the ending when they fixed his nano repair bots? and he just instantly repaired himself...lame.

9. marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    I just chalk that up to making the show "fun" and not "serious"...even though I'd more prefer the latter.

That could have been handled a little better, I agree. Perhaps over the span of a few hours or days. But that just reeks of magic.

-Mike

10. Test

Test Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2004
    I get that and I would like it a little more serious also, but they should have just ended the joke with him showing up at the kids house and maybe just stealing his hard drive from the xbox and running out...I don't know, but the need for him to play through the game, ah it is what it is I guess.

Exactly, maybe show some of the dents and dings banging and popping themselves out, not just a magic glow going from front end to back end.

Pretty much what I'm saying is if they really wanted to reboot it, they shouldn't have just stopped at the terrorist of the week plot lines.

11. alpacaboy

alpacaboy Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2004
    One of the things I liked in a "Burn Notice" commentary is someone was commenting that just because people sleep together, there can still be plenty of tension, and it doesn't necessarily lead to a healthy relationship (read: more comedy).

They're already out there. I saw this last year on the way to Vegas... :)

[​IMG]

Personally, I was kind of hoping that they would move headquarters to the beach resort from the opening sequence...

Attached Files:

12. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I saw one of those semis here in DFW and it immediately made me think "Knight Rider". :p

13. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Wow, the climatic battle was edited so poorly it was laughable. I hope a film editing teacher saves that clip and uses it as an example of how not to edit a scene! ;)

14. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I stopped watching Knight Rider after the first episode and decided to pick it up again. The reboot episode was OK, but seriously. 3 minutes of KARR and then he explodes? They could have made it a two parter and done something interesting. If this is the reboot it doesn't bode well for the series. But since my 3 way conflict got resolved I'll keep watching for awhile.

15. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    Any scene with Justin (Michael in the show) and him "reacting" to the movement of the car, i.e. rough landing after the turbo boost is always awful so no big surprise the fight was so dang crappy.

16. ruexp67

ruexp67 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    I have been watching, but not enthusistically. I wanted MUCH more about KARR, and wouldn't have minded more about Micheal's experience with KARR. I also wouldn't have minded KARR escaping, and being a nemisis for several more episodes.

Overall, I a glad they pared down the number of characters. I am glad we got Sarah in a bikini. ;) I am hoping they improve the quality of the show DRAMATICALLY. Especially if they have budget back from getting rid of all the actors they canned.

BTW -- The car repair thing was HORRIBLE. But, given the equally ridiculas "transformations" KITT is capable of, I couldn't be too annoyed by it. Anymore than I am annoyed that he can turn from a 3500lbs car to a 4500lbs truck and back, and that when someone is in the bed of the truck when it transforms they are suddenly in the backseat. :rolleyes:

17. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I'm concerned that KITT's new "chip" may not hold up. It looked like his old one was a bit more substantial then the one that was put together with Radio Shack parts. Anyone else think that there might have been some of KARR's programming in KITT and this reboot might allow some of it to come forward?

I'm looking forward to see if the writers don't mess it up.

18. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I'm hoping KITT's chip doesn't fail in such a way that he stops sounding like Val Kilmer and starts sounding like Jay Leno.

19. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I actually thought maybe during the reboot they wouldn't changed the voice to the original voice of KITT. I heard the original guy couldn't do the voice because of other commitments, and I assume those are still in place, but it would have been funny.

20. holee

holee Uncertain

Dec 12, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    The problem I see is, while they may have made the setup simpler and reduced the cast, the stupidity of the writing is still evident.

We can start with the little stuff, like KITT"s license plate changing every time they go to a different state.

Or the inane way they got rid of the cast members.

Or the sheer ludicrousness of the setup behind how they recovered KITT>

Or the fact that the Asian chick is really annoying.

Or how ridiculous it is that they just funnelled trillions of dollars and top secret facilities and gear, which btw, turns out was theirs all along of course. The government was just leasing it.

In my opinion, the fact that the show stunk had nothing to do with its 30,000 cast members of terrorist of the week plots.

It's that the stories are poorly written, and no amount of rewrite will fix that unless they've gotten rid of all of the writers.