knight rider in hd!!!

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by hyimted, Jan 11, 2006.

1. hyimted

hyimted sugartastic t. love

Apr 13, 2003
    sacramento, ca
    i'm watching the classic episode where kitt battles carr ... all in glorious hd. now this is what i call entertainment! yeah baby!!!

2. jpm37

jpm37 Rembrandt Q Einstein

Feb 3, 2004
    Vegas
    Just ordered my 1st HDTV yesterday. In anticipation, I was scrolling through the HD channels in my cable guide and came across Knight Rider in HD. I seriously can't wait to watch this show again, especially in HD.

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Considering it wasn't recorded in HD, I frankly see very little interest in watching it in HD.

It would have also been framed for 4:3 - so if they're showing it in widescreen, they'd have to crop the top and bottom of the frame to allow it to fill a 16:9 aspect ratio, which would be worse yet.

4. hyimted

Apr 13, 2003
    sacramento, ca
    have you seen it? picture quality is good. i think (but am not sure) that this is because the show was shot on film ... something about film stock having enough info for hd.

as for cropping, it doesn't appear so ... but i can't be sure. besides ... we're talking knight rider baby! :D

5. JDHutt25

JDHutt25 Active Member

Dec 27, 2004
    Universal HD....they've got some good stuff on there.

6. forecheck

forecheck Active Member

Aug 5, 2000
    Roseville, CA
  7. Mabes

Mabes Ex-Smoker

Jan 12, 2001
    Warwick RI
    Am I right that anything shot on film (other than stuff like home movies) can be shown in HD?

8. chewbaccad

chewbaccad New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    NoVA
    I caught the premiere episode when they were running that last week... wow, it's amazing how easy I was to entertain 20 years ago :rolleyes:

:D

9. hyimted

Apr 13, 2003
    sacramento, ca
    i think so. i read an article (i think in soundandvision) that talked about how film had enough "info" (not sure what term they used) in it to display well in hd. they said that's why some old movies look so good in hd. i'll try to find the article (i think it was by david ranada) and link to it.

10. TheDewAddict

TheDewAddict tciddAweDehT

Aug 21, 2002
    Amsterdam,...
    Of all the David Hasselhoff shows they could have put into HD, they chose Knight Rider??? Hummm.....something does not compute.

11. maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN
    Film actually has a higher resolution than HD does, so in theory anything shot on film can be converted to HD, assuming the film master is still in decent shape.

12. hyimted

Apr 13, 2003
    sacramento, ca
    if they put baywatch in hd, i'll *never* get any work done. plus i'll be tired a lot ....

13. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Exactly. I have seen old series remastered in HD. Everything looks better in HD.

The only question is the aspect ratio and how they choose to present it. I don't care for the cropping.

14. Waldorf

Waldorf Super Duper Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes... film can be downconverted via telecine to HD. :)

15. Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice >>>>>>

Jul 6, 2004
    As was noted last week by a terribly handsome and clever forum member, The Equalizer is also now showing in HD on INHD and looks great and has held up much better than Knight Rider. And coming soon: Quantum Leap.

I also saw the KARR ep today. "Nooooooo!" Hilarious.

16. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hmm. Ok, so I was wrong about the video quality, though it still means they're cropping it, which I'm not thrilled about.

17. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    what else does one record on if not film? hard drive?

18. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    There are shows that shot on video tape, not film.

19. darthrsg

darthrsg New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    post 911...

so! it's kitt and michael. i forgot how hardcore this show is. all the hot 80's women, dang.

20. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    As hefe points out, you can also record TV shows on video tape rather than film.

As for why, film is rather expensive to use for TV shows, especially if they have a lot of "takes" or a lot of footage that doesn't end up used. Tape is a lot cheaper to record, and cheaper and easier to edit.

Of course, film produces a totally different look than video... video tends to be very clean, hard, cold. Film has a grain to it... it'll look warmer, more "alive." You'll find that more comedies can get away with recording to video; dramas will more often than not opt for film.