kmttg v2.2j - won't establish communication with tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by HossM, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Dec 3, 2016 #1 of 22
    HossM

HossM New Member

Dec 3, 2016
    I just changed to the latest version v2.2j and I'm at a loss as it won't connect to my TiVo Premier.
    I have searched this forum and haven't seen anyone reporting the same exact issue.
    Here's the error message when I hit Refresh:

>> Getting Now Playing List via RPC from DVR-7F76 ...
    RemoteInit - (IP=192.168.1.111, port=1413): Connection timed out: connect
    [java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.connect0(Native Method), java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Unknown Source), java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source), java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source), java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source), java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source), java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source), java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source), sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source), sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.<init>(Unknown Source), sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketFactoryImpl.createSocket(Unknown Source), com.tivo.kmttg.rpc.Remote.RemoteInit(Remote.java:206), com.tivo.kmttg.rpc.Remote.<init>(Remote.java:172), com.tivo.kmttg.main.config.initRemote(config.java:628), com.tivo.kmttg.task.NowPlaying$1AutoThread.run(NowPlaying.java:90), java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)]

Here's what I've tried and verified so far:
    - Running Win 7 with latest Java 1.8.0_111 on PC
    - MAK is correct and entered in kmttg
    - "Enable rpc style communication..." is checked in kmttg
    - "Allow Remote control..." is enabled on tivo
    - tivo and PC are both connected via cat5 ethernet cable to my router (not over wifi)

Here's the interesting one: I kept the old v1.1a and when I run that version, I'm able to get a NPL, but not with v2.2j

I'm at a loss, any help or pointers would be appreciated!

2. Dec 3, 2016 #2 of 22
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Triple check that 192.168.1.111 is the correct IP of your Premiere. If you are convinced it is then reboot the Premiere and try again. If this is a cable company Premiere unit running older TiVo software then there's a setting under config--Program Options you need to toggle.

The older version of kmttg is getting your NPL list via traditional http mechanism instead of RPC which is why that works. You can get new version of kmttg to use that too, but there should be no reason why RPC shouldn't work.

3. Dec 3, 2016 #3 of 22
    HossM

HossM New Member

Dec 3, 2016
    The IP address (192.168.1.111) of the tivo is indeed correct as the old kmttg version connects using that same IP. I also can connect and see the NPL via a browser by going to http://192.168.1.111/. Needless to say I can ping it successfully.

I've also tried to uncheck RPC in the new version so it uses the old internal http protocol, but that doesn't work either.

4. Dec 3, 2016 #4 of 22
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Then I would suspect firewall and/or antivirus program blocking Java network requests.

Also, when you mentioned you unchecked RPC, did you uncheck this:
    config--Program Options--Use RPC to get NPL when possible

When you do that and then refresh NPL what error message do you get?

5. Dec 3, 2016 #5 of 22
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    See my post on the KMTTG thread? its the same thing, but with RPC off, I can get NPL updates. but, it shows no episode #s as that is RPC.

6. Dec 3, 2016 #6 of 22
    HossM

HossM New Member

Dec 3, 2016
    I got the same message as above when I toggled config--Program Options--Use RPC to get NPL when possible.

7. Dec 3, 2016 #7 of 22
    HossM

HossM New Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Well, as bizzare as the problem was, it started working after I rebooted tivo a 4th time! Not sure what that changed, but now it's working as expected.
    o_O

Thanks for the prompt replies and the suggestions, they were much appreciated!

8. Dec 5, 2016 #8 of 22
    pr28

pr28 New Member

Jan 22, 2013
    I've been having a similar problem. I was using kmttg for a while on win 10 on a pc without any problems. I had to reset the modem and router and now I can't get pytivo to work at all, and kmttg will read what is on the Tivo Premiere fine, but gives me this error message when I try to push from the computer to the Tivo:

Connection failed: http://localhost:9032/TiVoConnect?C...2e05.webrip.xvid-c4tv.avi&tsn=Bedroom+DVR14F5
    java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect

I think this is a problem with running pytivo in some way (I have python 2.7 installed).
    Any advice greatly appreciated. Figuring this out is driving me crazy. (The Tivo is hard wired to the router.)
    THanks.

9. Dec 7, 2016 #9 of 22
    RCFitzhugh

RCFitzhugh New Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Having very similar problem. Fresh install of KMTTG on Windows 7 to connect with Series 4 TIVO. I can get a listing of what is on the TIVO but for all other functionalities I get (remote delete is the one we miss the most)
    >> RUNNING 'REMOTE Deleted List' JOB FOR TiVo: Family Room
    RemoteInit - (IP=192.168.0.152, port=1413): Connection timed out: connect

Please help.

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    V20.6.3 broke RPC functions as well as transfers from other Tivos.

11. RCFitzhugh

RCFitzhugh New Member

Dec 7, 2016
    ThAbt0 - Thanks. At least now I know to stop trying and I can now save what little hair I have not pulled out of my head. My TIVO software is 20.6.3.RC7-01-2-758. Is there any hope that a KMTTG fix is in the works?

12. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    It's working fine for me for my Roamio Pro, Elite and Premiere all with 20.6.3.RC7, and as posted further up at least 1 other user confirms everything is working fine. You're using ancient version of kmttg, so can't really help you with that, but at least using latest version of kmttg everything is working fine. If it wasn't this thread would have been flooded with problem reports about it by now.

@RCFitzhugh, would suggest you reboot your Premiere and make sure you are running recent kmttg version.

worachj likes this.
  13. RCFitzhugh

RCFitzhugh New Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Running the absolute latest version of KMTTG v2.2j downloaded this afternoon. I also thought that many people would post if the problem was wide spread.
    PRECISELY what are your KMTTG settings and what OS are you running it on so I can try them.

Thanks

14. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I know its old, but its about the only version xp/java can handle.

15. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    There's no special settings required. I'm running kmttg on several computers with different OSs: Windows 7, Windows 10, CentOS 6.6 and CentOS 6.8.

You should verify that one of the mobile apps is working. Specifically try the virtual remote (with TiVo button etc). If your Premiere is not responding to port 1413 and you're absolutely sure the IP is correct then that means something is blocking the connection (firewall and/or antivirus program) or the Premiere needs to be rebooted. Thus trying a mobile app would help establish that.

16. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I posted this in the other thread where you talked about XP and Java versions. According to Oracle, you can still install newer versions of Java on XP but they no longer support it. Just continue with the install when you get the message.

Can I still install the latest Java on Windows XP? I see the message
    Java 8 requires a newer version of Windows. You may continue with the installation, but for Java to work as specified we recommend upgrading your computer's operating system.

Yes. As noted, users may still continue to use Java 8 on Windows XP at their own risk, but we can no longer provide complete guarantees for Java on Windows XP, since the OS is no longer being updated by Microsoft.

Scott

17. RCFitzhugh

RCFitzhugh New Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Thanks you for the suggestion.

I put DVR Commander on my Android and it found the Tivo with no problem and requested the MAk which I entered. It does not connect. TiVo's app connected but did not provide full functionality. I did a port scan of my Tivo and port 1413 was not even reported. I'm starting to suspect some sort of weird hardware problem. See the below.
    Port Scan.JPG

Attached Files:

18. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Double check you have "Allow network-based remote controls" enabled on your TiVo:
    Settings--Remote, CableCARD & Devices--Network Remote Control--Allow network-based remote controls

If it is on, toggle it off, then on again and perhaps reboot the TiVo.

19. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Code:
    RemoteInit - (IP=192.168.1.120, port=1413): Connection timed out: connect

[java.net.TwoStacksPlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method), java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source), java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source), java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source), java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source), java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source), java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source), sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source), sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.<init>(Unknown Source), sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketFactoryImpl.createSocket(Unknown Source), com.tivo.kmttg.rpc.Remote.RemoteInit(Remote.java:206), com.tivo.kmttg.rpc.Remote.<init>(Remote.java:172), com.tivo.kmttg.main.config.initRemote(config.java:628), com.tivo.kmttg.task.NowPlaying$1AutoThread.run(NowPlaying.java:90), java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)]
    Still not getting RPC functions, under 2.2j, Toggled network Remote.

20. RCFitzhugh

RCFitzhugh New Member

Dec 7, 2016
    The last idea worked! I unchecked it, reboooted, then checked it and rebooted again and all is well!