kmttg not decrypting as expected?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by SimonS3, Mar 25, 2016.

1. SimonS3

SimonS3 New Member

Aug 19, 2008
    I recently downloaded kmttg ver. n to update from ver. i
    Now when I choose to decrypt, they don't end up in the expected .mpg format but instead are all left as .ts files in the destination folder.

Then ver. o just got release and I updated to that and tried doing the same but still decryption result in .ts files instead of the expected .mpg format?!?

All previous versions from 'i' and before experiences were working just fine (ie. to say I am not a complete newbie ;) [TiVoLibre is checked off... ie. on]

Any idea what's going on?

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    The default now is to download TiVo files in TS container, so when those are decrypted they are intentionally given .ts suffix to distinguish from .mpg which is PS container. If you want PS downloads turn off Transport Stream Format option under config--Program Options.

3. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    IME, VLC, WMP and even WMC will play .ts files fine, but the Win10(8.1?) Movies&TV App will not.

4. SimonS3

SimonS3 New Member

Aug 19, 2008
    'Faster' aside, what other benefits by defaulting to TS container and does it hold true to current .tivo files content?

Do I have the mistaken impression that most third party vid apps/software being more 'receptive' to .mpg format? [OS platform variations?] whether playback or future manipulations are a consideration...

5. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    TS is REQUIRED if you want to download H.264 recordings from your TiVo (which major providers are starting to switch to in earnest). mpeg2 playback outside of TiVo environment is becoming less and less prevalent no matter which container you use. i.e. The video codec is much more of an issue than the container itself as far as which devices can play it.
    Some claim TS container downloads have more issues than PS ones. I haven't had issues with TS downloads myself the last few years.
    If you want to transfer back to TiVo as a .TiVo file, TS .TiVo file will preserve captions intact where PS .TiVo files you lose captions completely (long standing TiVo side bug for series 4 and later TiVos).

6. SimonS3

SimonS3 New Member

Aug 19, 2008
    These are great points! Thank you!
    Once I may have wanted/considered the ability to encode back (w or w/o captions etc.) to .tivo for TiVo set top watching but with the advent of cloud based streaming and devices, it's simply easier to just upload or archive as webstreams and utilize as such. Then there is the onslaught of 'improved' content/programming that quickly fills up one's TiVo.

Sidenote: TivoLibre.jar can be invoked to convert between .ts .mpg if one knows Terminal command lines presumably.. Otherwise, one cannot easily utilize Kmttg to easily do so short of up-front setting up prior decrypt.

7. fflewddur

fflewddur R&D

Jul 20, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    Just saw this and wanted to chime in: as the author of TivoLibre, I can say that it does not convert between the PS and TS container formats. It examines the format of the .TiVo input file to determine the container type, and outputs to the exact same type.