KMTTG issue with Comcast Local Channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by pbolya, May 14, 2020.

1. pbolya

pbolya Member

Apr 7, 2004
    Sacramento...
    Hi,
    I am trying to solve this issue for a long time with no luck. Tried to read 100's of different forums but nothing helps.

I have a Bolt VOX and a Roamio Pro. Both running the latest update of the old GUI so I can download with KMTTG. However ever since Comcast changed the local channels to MPEG4 I can't download certain programs with KMTTG (or with anything else either). It happens only with the local channels (CW/NBC/FOX/CBS/ABC etc). No issues whatsoever with Comcast cable channels. It is also random which shows I can download and which ones I can't. I am now recording local channel shows on both TiVos at the same time and sometimes one is OK and the other is not and sometimes both are bad. It seems completely random. I also tried recording a 3rd version at the same time using the 1xxx version of channels too and it also happens that sometimes the 1xxx channel works and sometimes the 7xx channel works and sometimes all 3 is wrong.

The bad files plays fine on the tivo, streams or even downloads fine to iPad with the TiVo app and copies to other TiVos just fine. It also downloads with KMTTG but when I try to open it with VideoRedo 6 it just hangs, VideoRedo 5 shows error "Unable to determine initial clock". Media player also hangs. I tried decrypting it with VideoRedo, tivolibre, Direct Show Dump but neither worked. Tryied to download the show using Tivo Desktop 2.8.2 and 2.8.3, and with just the TiVo's IP etc. with the same result. If I copy the whole show or just a part of it to a different TiVo it does not download correctly either.

Can anybody help me to fix this issue?

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    With MPEG4, you must enable TS Downloads.
    You would also need to see if its copy protected (Red Slashed circle) on the show.

Other than that, you may get a better response from the KMTTG thread instead of a separate one.

3. pbolya

pbolya Member

Apr 7, 2004
    Sacramento...
    Not copy protected and of course downloaded with TS. Just for fun also tried to download with PS but same result.

4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Confirm that your Media Access Key was entered correctly into KMTTG, and is what's on your tivo.com account and Tivos.

5. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Have you tried the Resume feature in KMTTG?

-KP

6. pbolya

pbolya Member

Apr 7, 2004
    Sacramento...
    Media Access Key is correct. As I mentioned above several recordings are good. This just happens to some randomly.

The show actually downloads to the PC and no error messages shown. So there is nothing to resume. The error happens when you try to open the file with VRD or media player or anything else. tivolibre and DirectshowDump creates a TS file that has similar file size but the resulting file cannot be opened with anything either.

7. jacktechie

jacktechie Member

Feb 6, 2013
    South SF...
    Where in California are you? In the South Bay, Comcast has been gradually compressing most? (if not all by now) local channels for the last half year. The audio will always play (using VLC), but the video that will not play properly is marked "Encrypted". On replays on PBS stations, the repeat may be fine, while the original may or may not. Using MediaInfo, if the video is tagged Encrypted, it will not play.

Audio only on some linked Comcast broadcast channels - SF Bay Area

pbolya likes this.
  8. pbolya

pbolya Member

Apr 7, 2004
    Sacramento...
    I'am in the Sacramento area and thanks jacktechie that is exactly how it looks. What I don't understand is if I record the same signal from comcast on the same channel with two TiVos, one of them works the other does not. So you think it is tivo related but just 5 mins later the other one works and this one doesn't than 5 mins later none of them. So it is not the TiVo, not the signal?!?! But than what? And why does it happen only on the local broadcast channels and never ever on Comcast's own cable channels?

9. jacktechie

jacktechie Member

Feb 6, 2013
    South SF...
    It's not good. Had inadvertently recorded Nova - Covid-19 on 2 Bolts. It is frustrating, if the evening show does not play, I rerecord again next morning and also on the HD OTA. It looks to be how Comcast is converting the MPEG2 to MPEG4 in the transport stream. I have even gone so far comparing good and bad files, playing with headers and other stuff with a hex editor, but doing so really breaks it more - says invalid MAK, permissions, etc.

Bolt 1 - Wed PM plays
    Bolt 2 - Wed PM plays green scrambled bars
    Bolt 2 - Thu AM plays

10. pbolya

pbolya Member

Apr 7, 2004
    Sacramento...
    This is ridiculous. Neither Bolt nor the Roamio can record OTA which is the only way now to make sure that the recording is downloadable for sure. So I tried to reactivate my Premiere but they ask $550 to reactivate it!!!! So I use my TiVo3 to backup record everything in MPEG2 but I can only record 2 channels with that one. So now I record 4 versions of most show I want to download in hopes that one of the 3 MPEG4 works and I don't have to wait an hour to download and another to convert it to H264. TiVo 3 is sooo slow!!! How did we manage to wait this long for everything back than?

11. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Something that should have been asked, have you tried viewing the channels on Live tv?

Both Tivos should not have the same issues.

On the S3, if it records mpeg4 content, generally from cable, and you download them, you will only get audio, no pictures.

12. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Ever heard of 'Bittorrent'?

-KP

13. pbolya

pbolya Member

Apr 7, 2004
    Sacramento...
    ThAbtO: Both Bolt and Roamio has the same problem. As I mentioned everything is working fine on the TiVos (Program is watchable, Live TV works, streaming to Ipad/Iphone, watching it through tivo.com etc.) Only when you download it, it is unusable.

S3 cannot record MPEG4. It is able to stream or even copy MPEG4 shows from other TiVo's but not record from Comcast due to it's tuner limitations. I can actually copy the bad shows onto it and watch it there too but of course I cannot download it from there either. Since now everything is MPEG4 at Comcast S3 can only be used with OTA.

I stuck with TiVo for 20 years. When DirecTV dropped TiVo I dropped them and moved to Comcast (huge picture quality drop). I had every TiVo that was ever released but lately TiVo is trying kill everything I love about it and if it goes like this soon there will be no difference between the competition. Why can't I upload/record and play 4K video for example on a so called 4K TiVo. I had to by a Roku just to be able to watch the videos I shot in 4K with a now average smartphone. First time ever wasn't even interested when Edge came out I was so underwhelmed with Bolt. I had to move the important shows back to the Roamio due to Bolt pixelation issues with high bandwidth channels.

Is there anybody else having this issue who does not have Comcast? Seems like this is a Comcast only issue which is strange as one would think that once the show is recorded to the TiVo Comcast would be out of the picture. And if it is something with the actual recording (e.g. the MAK is corrupt) than why does it work when watching through the TiVo?

14. jacktechie

jacktechie Member

Feb 6, 2013
    South SF...
    Please reread OP pbolya's post again. I chimed in to say the problem is exactly as he has described. If you read my posts starting in November 2019, this is an ongoing problem with MPEG2 OTA broadcasts crunched by Comcast to MPEG4.
    Viewable on both Bolts and HD.

But they do.

Correct, but we are downloading from the Bolts.

Sort of like paying for use of Adobe CC online and then downloading Creative Cloud for use offline.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  15. Morocco Mole

Morocco Mole Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Redwood...
    I'm also seeing this on Comcast Bay Area (Redwood City).
    I used to be able to download news and watch at gym on treadmill; very spotty now.
    I've also been with Tivo since the beginning but this may be the final push for me to punt them and Comcast for something else.

All good things come to an end.