KMTTG and Mac Lion issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by javabird, Dec 14, 2011.

1. javabird

javabird Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    I just started using KMTTG yesterday and I have a few questions I didn't find addressed in the forums.

1. If I open the decrypted .mpg file in MPEG Streamclip, the video is all white, although there is audio. The video is there if I play it in VLC, and the cut version of the .mpg seems to have the video. But sometimes I want to do my own edits in MPEG Streamclip, and obviously I need to see the video to do that. Is there a solution for this, or some setting that isn't correct?

2. The AppleTV 2 preset seems to result in a LOT of pixelation near the last quarter of 1-hour shows in the final .m4v. Anyone else have this issue?

2. javabird

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    So I've been playing around with it some, and I've found if I just open handbrake separately and run the cut mpg through it with the default AppleTV 2 settings, it seems to look great without pixelation. So it would seem the problem is with the ATV2 preset in kmttg putting too much compression on the video.

Still haven't resolved the empty video issue though.

3. Dagwood70

Dagwood70 New Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Spokane, WA
    I have the same observation/problem with the hb encodes. Encoding with HB GUI to the AppleTV2 setting is far superior to using kmttg. I even tried compiling my own CLI and replacing the kmttg file but the encode kept failing (I think it was choking on the CPU setting). Anybody have an idea or thoughts? :confused:

4. javabird

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    I also found the standard AppleTV codec (not AppleTV2) in kmttg worked ok, and file size is smaller than go through handbrake.

5. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    The problem is the encode/hb_appletv2.enc file has "AppleTV 3" as the preset name. If you edit that file and correct it to be the proper name "AppleTV 2" then you should find it will work properly. (Some user recently let me know about this issue and it is fixed in next release).

6. Dagwood70

Dagwood70 New Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Spokane, WA
    Thanks for the help. I tried the above edit and compiled my own HandBrakeCLI but I get the following errors:

HandBrakeCLI: unrecognized option `--cpu'
    unknown option (--cpu)

I checked the HB CLIGuide and this should work. I'm at a loss.

7. Dagwood70

Dagwood70 New Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Spokane, WA
    I changed "--cpu" to "-C"; the encode started. I'll see tomorrow how it turns out quality wise. If not happy I guess I'll have to learn some HandBrakeCLI settings to tweak it the way I want it. Thanks for the help though!
    encode successful and looks good.