KMTTG 2.4o new issue possibly related to upgrade to Java 8 Update 251 (64-bit)?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by scottb, May 2, 2020.

1. scottb

scottb Member

Dec 31, 2002
    Hello all,

I really like KMTTG. Thanks MOYEKJ for developing and maintaining it.

My new minor issue:
    So I updated Java on 4-17-2020 when prompted to update to Java 8 Update 251 (64-bit) (8.0.2510.8). It seems that since then after a day or so, when choosing “Auto Transfers” or “Help”, and possibly other pull-down menus, a red-lettered error paragraph is shown at the bottom log window and the long message starts with “ERROR: Java.lang.RuntimeException: could not create platform window”, etc. etc.

I do know that my workaround is to just close and restart KMTTG, but doing that everyday is a pain. Have any others experience this and can tell me how they fixed it?

My System:
    Windows 7 Pro SP1

Thanks,
    Scott

2. scottb

scottb Member

Dec 31, 2002
  3. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Can confirm this issue after upgrading to .251

4. xjonx

xjonx New Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Also can confirm...

Works OK when first started, but after a while, I haven't figured out what's the trigger, but will eventually start giving errors.

5. xjonx

xjonx New Member

Oct 7, 2006
    I believe I have found a workaround. Try this at your own risk.

Find a previous version of java. I'm using jre-8u202-windows-x64.
    1. get oracle account (required to download), free.
    2. find "8u202" on the site for previous java version archive. I got the runtime and not the JDK kit.
    3. remove current version and reboot.
    4. install 8u202.
    5. set new java to not update when it tries to go back to the current version.
    6. try it out. I have not seen a problem and I didn't have to reinstall kmttg but it has only been a few hours.

6. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    FWIW I don't see this issue every day but I don't access kmttg remotely every day, so when it does happen it's no big deal to restart it (for me). I can go days of using kmttg without it happening for some reason.

7. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    I think I have the same problem. I'm running KMTTG 2.4o on Win 10 x64 with Java 8 update 251.

KMTTG runs fine at first but after several hours running Disk Usage fails. Also, after a failed disk usage request KMTTG will not shut down normally. I have to use Task Manager to shut down KMTTG or wait for the OS to ask to shut down the unresponsive program.

Also, in some cases Atomic Parsley never completes even after a fresh KMTTG restart. This may be related to a fresh PC restart vs fresh KMTTG restart.

UPDATE: I rolled back to Java version 8u02 per post #5. This fixed the problem where the Disk Usage request failed and where KMTTG would not shut down normally. However, Atomic Parsley still fails to complete after some encodes. It will show as still running until I shut down the PC.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020