Klondike - new scripted miniseries on Discovery

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Bob Coxner, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004

Advertisements

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/12/11/prison-break-creator-to-pen-discovery-miniseries/

It sounds a bit like the movie McCabe & Mrs. Miller in terms of time and basic setting. [I know McCabe was set in the US Northwest and not Alaska]

"Discovery Channel is going into the scripted biz. The cabler is working with Scott Free TV (The Good Wife) and writer Paul Scheuring (Prison Break) on its first-ever scripted miniseries titled Klondike, which is based on Charlotte Gray’s novel Gold Diggers: Striking It Rich in the Klondike. The tome is about six strangers and their collective fight for survival and wealth in a small, frontier town." Set in the late 1890's. Also sounds a bit Deadwoodish.

Ridley Scott is exec-producer, so that's a big plus.

2. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Klondike premieres tonight. Looks good, even though the preview said they shot the whole mini-series in 56 days. :eek:

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/klondike/klondike.htm

They actually climb an actual snow covered mountain above the clouds for the filming.

Check your show list. It's only on EVERY Discovery channel from Discovery to OWN to History to ...

It looks more like Deadwood to me than anything else.

Good cast with "Robb Stark" Sam Shepard, Tim Ross, Tim Blake Nelson.

3. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    56 days isn't :eek: it's probably close to average.
    The whole mini series is 6.5 hours long (broadcast time including commercials). Most hour long dramas shoot an episode in ten days or less.

4. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    OK, but not when they shoot and build sets in the snow and cold, and have not one studio interior set.

5. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN

Advertisements

I watched a lot of Discovery over the weekend for some reason. I was reminded about this Klondike show every 5 minutes. Non-stop promos for it during commercial breaks. Then they had the graphic pop over the different shows.

I did end up recording it to my DVR. We'll see if I get around to watching it.

6. tlc

tlc Active Member

May 29, 2002
    Is it worth the time? I watched 30 minutes and wasn't feeling it...

7. Jayjoans

Jayjoans Active Member

Jan 22, 2003
    CA
    We deleted SP after the first 30 minutes. I was really looking forward to it too, but it just sucked too much.

8. Gromit

Gromit Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 1999
    Atlanta, GA
    I tried to watch it. But I couldn't stand the huge #KLONDIKE hashtag on the screen. Along with a reminder that it continues tomorrow. And an animated Discovery logo.

Screw that, all episodes deleted.

9. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    This is where I am now. Bored. Did anyone get past 30 minutes and like it?

10. caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    I got past 30 minutes... if anything it gets worse, not better.

11. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Thanks. Series deleted.

12. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I watched part 1 in its entirety and found it to be not good and not awful. It kind of just was.

13. TBDigital

TBDigital B. Meisterburger

Mar 14, 2002
    Kingwood, Tx
    I watched the series to completion. I wish I had quit after the first 30 minutes like the rest of you. The first episode was the best, which isn't saying much. It went rapidly downhill from there.

14. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    It's hard to match the comments here with the IMDB rating. 8.3 with 811 votes. That's an A+ rating. On Rotten Tomatoes it's 85% from critics and 75% from viewers. Again, those are excellent ratings.

Tim Goodman is my go-to critic. "Over the course of six hours it delivers bold, cinematic on-location action, announces itself with sweeping, dramatic dialogue (admittedly, not for everyone) and scatters excellent acting across the small screen." http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/klondike-tv-review-671374

Alan Sepinwall seems to be the most favored critic on the forum. "If you're just asking for an entertaining adventure story with impressive visuals and a solid cast, it does the job, and represents a promising first foray into scripted drama for Discovery." http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wa...ys-klondike-a-familiar-but-exciting-adventure

For me, I've only watched the first 2 hours so far. I liked it. No, it's not Deadwood quality but it's more than good enough for me to stay with it.

15. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Don't agree with the extreme negativity here. Series is decent, but not compelling. Love the shots of the mountains, etc. Needed better scriptwriters to make it better than decent. Needed more hooker taking a bath scenes.

16. Rob64

Rob64 Member

Aug 27, 2005
    I watched all 3 episodes....it wasn't bad.....granted it was not an HBO type of production but it was half decent

17. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I found the mountain shots flat in picture quality. If it were better, it may have kept me watching. I guess I'm spoiled.

18. goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    The opening seemed like a total ripoff of Game of Thrones.

19. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    My wife and i recordeded all 3 episodes But i'm pissed off at my tivo premiere ,as the first 2 episodes cut the recording short! we havent watched the last episode so i hope my tivo recorded it all! BTW my wife and i like the show!

20. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    hmmm...I recorded it but not sure if I want to devote 5+ hours to it, especially with such mixed reviews.