King of Cars (Chopper Cars)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by daperlman, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Apr 9, 2006 #1 of 46
    daperlman

daperlman check the rhime

Jan 25, 2002
    Southeast

Advertisements

Finally some is documenting the story of Chopper Cars in Las Vegas. For anyone who has never turned on a TV in Las Vegas... there is this over the top car dealer that has these ridiculous infomercials every night.

AE is doing a documentary about them called King of Cars that premieres at noon today. Looks good.

Anyone else gonna check this one out?

"Chop it!"

2. Apr 9, 2006 #2 of 46
    steuert

steuert TivoGeezer

Mar 12, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I watched the first two broadcasts last night. Confirms the worst stereotypes about car salesmen. The only people who are more pathetic/repulsive than the sales staff are the gullible dimwits who buy from them. (Any present company excepted, of course.)

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I found some parts of the programs interesting - those where a salesman is negotiating with customers, which one of the salesman described as making the customer do what the salesman wants him to do, not what the customer himself wants to do. Sort of mind control: moron dominates idiot.

I'm curious about a couple things: what the salesmen make (I bet it's well over $100,000 for their top producers), and what their turnover among sales staff is (my guess would be at least 200%/year. The King doesn't seem the type to tolerate non-performers very well.)

There have been a few other documentaries about bands of salesmen pushing various products, including bibles, aluminum siding, and vacuum cleaners. And IMO one of the best movies ever, "Glengarry Glen Ross," about real estate salesmen. IIRC, there was even a movie produced called "The Slasher," which sounds like a horror flick but details the operations of a super-salesman like the King, who travels around the country conducting sales event for various car dealers.

This series is inferior to any of them, but still interesting enough to TiVo although I FF through a lot of the more boring and repititous parts.

3. Apr 9, 2006 #3 of 46
    RoundBoy

RoundBoy New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    I hear very bad thhings about theis dealership from people walking out of there.. shady business deals.. or at least attempted deals.

This is also a dealership that put a car up on ebay for an autcion, but later refused to sell to the winning bidder because it didn't go for enough, then lied that it was sold already, etc.

4. Apr 9, 2006 #4 of 46
    marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Actually the portrait painted of car salesman was actually flattering compared to how bad it can really be.

The turnover for car sales staff is huge. I know in my area the dealerships run large ads every single week trying to get people in and pay you to train and everything else. I would be suprised if more than 10% of the salespeople end up staying around a full year. Most car dealers end up being some people who have been around there for an extremely long time and then the rest of the sales people are just the never ending churn.

If anyone thinks this uncovers the dirty dark secrets of car dealers, it barely scratches the surface. This is a feel good car salesman series. Certainly it shows some of the basic stuff, but reality is worse.

All that being said, I will watch it, as I find it entertaining. I did a stint for a short period of time as a salesman for a high-end car dealer a few years back. My best friend still works there and does very well. Another one of my good friends is a sales manager there... It was not for me though. It literally made me nauseous to work there. The deals where I made the most money are the ones I felt the absolute worst about.

5. Apr 9, 2006 #5 of 46
    Swirl_Junkie

Swirl_Junkie New Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Philly, PA

Advertisements

A $24,000 durango, for $711.00 a month? Nice interest rate. I wonder how many thousand in rustproofing and scotchguarding that included.

6. Apr 9, 2006 #6 of 46
    jerobi

jerobi News/Deal Junkie

Sep 28, 2000
    I was reminded of an Undercover as a Car Salesman article, so I hunted down the link. I hope this is the right one...if so, interesting read.

7. Apr 9, 2006 #7 of 46
    etexlady

etexlady Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2002
    East Texas
    I think it is interesting that he has no female sales persons. Women can be quite persuasive.

It's a pretty low tactic to pull your parents or siblings in to sucker them into buying. The deal with the guy who was getting his elderly mother to co-sign made me mad...at the guy and the salesman. Jerks. Also the guy with the wife, three kids and a Jetta. I bet he brags every day about the deal he negotiated.

8. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I am loving this series. Really enjoyable.

9. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I worked with a few extremely gorgeous women, and none of them lasted very long. In fact the lady who was in the Golden Child was the Astin Martin rep where I worked, but again none of the women I knew doing it were cutthroat enough to be really succesful.

10. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I think their morning meetings are hilarious. Reminds me of those meetings I've heard about where people have to go door to door and sells books and stuff....totally cheesey ;)

11. Ntombi

Ntombi New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Bostonian...
    Where have I seen this dealership and owner before? I know they were on some other show or documentary, but what was it?

12. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I keep wondering why there aren't any women selling, then I realize it'd probably be hell for them.

13. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I've bought probably 7 new cars and I can't ever remember seeing a female sales person....I don't think it has anything to do with this particular dealership. Sales (in general) is usually a male dominated profession and I would expect car sales to be even moreso.

14. Cue-Ball

Cue-Ball New Member

Oct 8, 2002
    Kirkland, WA
    I haven't seen the series, but judging from the pictures on their web site, this dealership looks sleazy. I'd never buy a car from a guy who has a big silver "CHOP" necklace around his neck. They look like they cater to the NBA star wannabe customer.

15. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Yeah but different strokes for different folks I guess. I think they are fairly well known in Vegas, and they are the largest Dodge Dealer in the country. So if you were in Las Vegas and looking to buy a Dodge you might at least check with them.

16. nedthelab

nedthelab New Member

Oct 4, 2002
    SF
    Right here - one episode was enough- I would never buy a vehicle- let alone a used vehicle from this pompus ass. I sure hope this does not say anything about the folks who live in Vegas

17. nedthelab

nedthelab New Member

Oct 4, 2002
    SF

Hire an attractive and aggresive female sales person to sell high tech equipment, the more complecated the better, and she will beat any male counterpart hands-down.....

18. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas

Have you been to Vegas? The town is built on an industry that sets things up in such a way to suck money from your wallet. :)

Anyway, I saw an episode of this. It was somewhat entertaining, but it really didn't teach me anything about car salesmen and car dealers that I wasn't already familiar with.

FWIW, the person who sold me my current car was a woman.

19. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    it says he sells alot of cars to people in vegas. cause he's got the blue genie and he chops em chops em.......

20. Jim_TV

Jim_TV Member

Mar 4, 2006
    I enjoy this show. In defense of the sales staff, even though car sales are a high stakes and sometimes pressured sales situation, if you are a savvy customer you can probably get a good deal at a dealership like Tobin Dodge.