Kindle HD 6 and Roamio Pro Streaming

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by gratianus, May 27, 2015.

1. gratianus

gratianus New Member

May 27, 2015
    Despite both Tivo and Amazon telling me that the Kindle 6 will stream from my new Roamio Pro, it's not happening. It works like a charm on my iPhone 4S, but when I try to set up streaming on my Kindle, this is what happens:
    1. I get the My Shows roster.
    2. I choose an item to stream.
    3. I attempt to set up streaming and I get a "Codec Error. Hardware codec not supported."

How can the Kindle not decode the Tivo data stream if the Kindle is supposed to be compatible with the Tivo?

Tivo tech support has given me all sorts of suggestions ranging from buying Tivo Desktop to rebooting everything in sight (including the family dog). Does anyone out there understand the problem and, even better, have a solution?

Thanks

2. Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    The problem here is that you need another Kindle (not an iPhone) to see what going on. Do you know anyone with a Kindle that you test the streaming on. When did you order this Kindle? It could very well be a hardware error.

3. gratianus

gratianus New Member

May 27, 2015
    The Kindle HD 6 is several years old, though Amazon swears that it "should" stream Tivo. I'll have to ask friends whether they have Kindles of the right age to stream, and will give it a try.
    But if there is a hardware error, I think I'll be in the market for a new tablet, since one of the compelling reasons to buy the Roamio (refurbed) was the streaming feature (plus the additional capacity and recording options).
    Thanks for the suggestion.

4. telemark

telemark Active Member

Nov 12, 2013
    What's the SW version of everything?
    I suppose that would be Roamio, Standalone stream, Kindle OS, Tivo app.

Sounds to me like a software error where the Tivo app is trying to call hardware acceleration that's not on that device model.

5. gratianus

gratianus New Member

May 27, 2015
    I suppose that would be Roamio, Standalone stream, Kindle OS, Tivo app

Tivo tech had me "Powercycle, modem, router, TiVo and Kindle. Connect TiVo to the service, uninstall and reinstall the application on the Kindle"

No mention of the dog, but this is what I did.

6. Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    It beginning to sound like your Kindle HD 6 is already "out of date". Amazon is unloading them at $99.00. Do test this with another Kindle and post the results because I am also in the market for a new Kindle, but like to make sure it stream from the Roamio. I have an iPad and I know that will stream from the Roamio. Just do not like the Amazon iOS app.