Kind of surprised at the lack of chatter

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by dirk1843, Dec 21, 2011.

1. dirk1843

dirk1843 I'm your huckleberry

Jul 7, 2003
    Northeast...
    The pretty low level of talk regarding the new TiVo box has me worried that perhaps TiVo did wait to long and it is too crippled.

I know that it is limited release right now, but geez only 6 active threads in a forum dedicated to the product?

I hope it is because all the lucky ones who have gotten theirs are too busy enjoying the TiVo'y goodness!!

2. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    After getting a couple of Tivo HDs for my OTA plans, I can say I would get the THR22 over the HR24s I have now if I was signing up for D* today. I didn't realize how much I missed Tivo until I used it again.

-Ted

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    How many threads would you like? There seems to be quite a bit of activity, but not a lot in original content. Give it time - and national release.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Consider how dead this forum was before the THR22 launch, I would say things have picked up considerably.

5. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    I'm pleasantly surprised by how much interest has been shown here and on DBS talk given the limitations of the unit.

6. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    At the "other place," where the features of the Tivo as we know it today were invented, the chatter level is about zero.

7. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    Ok, Ill chatter a bit.
    I wish that they had a 4th setting on the front panel LED brightness. Need to be able to turn it off as even on low the blue LED's light up the bedroom quite a bit.
    Had to tape a piece of cardboard over the circle of blue.
    Hope that this control isn't hard wired so D* can do a software fix for this.
    I wish that the up, down, left, right circle button on the remote control flipped tuners when the down arrow is pressed like the HR10. I know, minor issue, but it would have been nice if they were consistent with the remote function.
    I have read that this isn't as hackable as the HR10 was, but I hope down the road someone comes up with the process to copy the hard drive over to a larger (1TB) drive.
    I see that Weaknees will have larger drives available, but they are a bit pricey.
    Don't want to try MFStools until someone post some info with the procedure to do this.
    That is all the chatter for now.

8. litzdog911

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    I was puzzled by this, too. The DirecTV HDDVRs do have an "off" setting for those front panel LEDs.

9. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    I think that D* didn't put an off setting just so their DVR's would have "one up" over the THR.:(
    They must have been "stuck on stupid" when it came to thinking or not thinking about the THR being used in the bedroom.
    After all, they wouldn't want the THR to have as much or more functionality than their much more popular HR boxes.:rolleyes: They took 3 years to make sure of that!

10. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Unfortunately that's something that TiVo changed on their retail boxes when the original stand alone S3 came out. It took some getting used to and I preferred the old way as well.

11. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    nrc,
    It would be nice if they would fix that though, it was much more convenient.
    The peanut remote was "human engineered" in the way it fits the hand and were the buttons are. Now, instead of the thumb hitting the down arrow and having it change tuners, have to rotate the remote so the index finger reaches up to hit the swap button or it take three functions to swap tuners. right arrow, down arrow and select.
    It is a small step back in functionality and convenience.:(

It would have been nice if they left the volume and channel rocker buttons below the thumb up/down also.
    In the original location, the thumb 's slight bend gave leverage when the volume and channel buttons were pushed.
    With the new location, the thumb has to be extended to push them, or slide the remote down in the hand a bit to curve the thumb to operate these buttons.
    Just another bit of the human engineering taken out of the remote.
    The thumbs up/down are used a lot less, and should have been left in the extended location.
    Designers love to change things even though it was designed right the first time.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::(

12. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    Yep, this.

Not many folks have them yet.

I've got one on order from weaknees...

13. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Well mine just got delivered. Still in the process of setting them up.

14. litzdog911

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Cool. Keep us posted.

15. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Well pretty much setup. It's going to take a while for the guide to fully populate and index before I can add all my season passes.

So far the only thing I really miss from the HR24 is being able to use the number keys in the search. The graphics do look a little dated after having the HD GUI, but I can deal with that.

Everything else is a plus. The picture seems a little better. Everything seems faster. Changing channels is faster. Having real double buffers is great, although once I have full guide data I don't expect to be watching much live. Trick play is definitely smoother and having a real slow motion is another plus.

I'm a happy camper so far.

16. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    Did you get the software update after you completed the setup?

17. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    There was a little good and bad in that.

The bad is, I was in the middle of going through the channel list, selecting what I wanted and didn't, when it decided to reboot to install the update without any warning. The good was that it actually remembered all the changed I had made to the channel list even though I hadn't had the chance to hit DONE.

18. dirk1843

dirk1843 I'm your huckleberry

Jul 7, 2003
    Northeast...
  19. litzdog911

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
  20. pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    Someone asked TiVoPony about this at the TiVo meetup in Vegas. He said the tech support department at TiVo demanded that the lights always be on so they could flash when the TiVo got commands from the remote. That was one of the ways phone support helped determine the problem.

tk