Killing Eve - Season Two *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Apr 7, 2019 #1 of 43
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Phenomenal start to this season. Just love the psychological drama that underscores everyone's actions, and the way the writers & actors capture it so well. You know they had to reset the chessboard for this season, and yet they did it without being heavy-handed.

Jodie Comer is just amazing. You could read her thoughts as she realized she was going to have to wear a pair of Crocs (thought of nyny for a second).

Gabriel. :( Be careful what you wish for.

nyny523, DevdogAZ and tim1724 like this.
  2. Apr 7, 2019 #2 of 43
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Meant to add, loved how at the end of the "Last season on Killing Eve..." segment, they start with

Thirty Seconds Later

Steveknj likes this.
  3. Apr 7, 2019 #3 of 43
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    She was hilarious in those superhero pajamas...which she clearly hated, yet somehow could travel from Paris to Calais without ever replacing. :D

Killing the kid was pretty awful. And perfectly in character. She really, truly does not get it. "It" being just about anything human.

tim1724 likes this.
  4. Apr 8, 2019 #4 of 43
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Great start to the season. I was a bit worried because it's a new showrunner, but you could feel that for both of them, there's something seriously weird going on in their heads. I want to rewatch again as I dozed a bit during the episode, so I'm sure there are pieces I didn't pick up.

5. Apr 8, 2019 #5 of 43
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Yeah, sadly you could see that coming a mile away. Because it's her. It's what she does.

And the way she told that lady her husband's news was good. "He's getting better". She's beyond cruel. I don't know my paths well, she's either a sociopath or a psychopath. Or both. But whatever she is, she is the pinnacle of the definition.

Steveknj likes this.
  6. Apr 8, 2019 #6 of 43
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I just love watching the character and the actress. She dark but engaging at the same time. And Jodi pulls it off so well. I know Sandra Oh won the award (Golden Globe? Emmy? I forget). but Jodi Comer is who makes the show for me. I get the feeling that it will be a lot like Orphan Black, where it will take awhile for her to get recognized in the way that it took Tatiana Manslany.

tiellv, tivotvaddict and tim1724 like this.
  7. Apr 8, 2019 #7 of 43
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I agree that Jodi Comer really makes the show. That was a fantastic bit of casting, and she definitely should have been nominated for an Emmy for the first season.

8. Apr 8, 2019 #8 of 43
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Already renewed for S3. With a new showrunner. Intentional. They want to have a new showrunner every year (or so they say).

Killing Eve Renewed for Season 3

tim1724 and Steveknj like this.
  9. Apr 9, 2019 #9 of 43
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I am trying to remember-Gabriel said something to Villanelle-like, "That outfit looks horrible on you" - and she says, "Yeah, well, your parents are dead!" :eek: - Whaaaa? Of course, she is a psychopath...

Man, both Eve and Villanelle can just lie like nobody's business-"I fell off a horse;" "I ate a bad oyster"

10. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Episode 4 I was thinking best scene in an art museum since Doctor Who, best because it was the polar opposite - then immediately after Doctor Who was referenced.

Because of the immediate reference to Doctor Who I like to think the contrast was deliberate but it is probably a coincidence.

Hercules67 and tim1724 like this.
  11. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Villanelle did indeed look spectacular while rejecting the Instagram request.

The show is starting to get into the groove, feeling like a true second season

12. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Agree, just a spectacular episode. Comer & Oh are in a two person race for the Emmy (IMHO).

tivotvaddict likes this.
  13. pgogborn

Nov 11, 2002
    For now I assume it was Carolyn that told Villanelle that Eve's husband was visiting Oxford. If so not only is Carolyn playing the long game she is a dangerous person playing a dangerous game.

The references to Broadmoor - Broadmoor is a psychiatric hospital run by the National Health Service.

Because many of its patients are admitted via the criminal justice system and because of the high security measures to prevent the patients from leaving many people refer to it as a prison but it should be both called and regarded as a hospital.

(a possible but highly unlikely twist - Carolyn knew the Broadmoor doctor because she used to be a dangerous patient confined in a high security psychiatric hospital)

14. pgogborn

Nov 11, 2002
    How far is Eve willing to go to protect Villanelle? And perhaps her own career.

If Niko falls under suspicion for the deliberate or accidental death of Gemma what will Eve say?

Will Kenny fully turn against his mother (probably not with a Season 3 confirmed).

15. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    And what about Margaret? Tune in next week for the continuing story of.....Killing Eve! (I know, there's no Margaret, but your post felt like one of thoes 1950s Soap Opera endings and it made me think of that).

Hercules67 likes this.
  16. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I guess they're even now. :eek:

17. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I suppose this is going to be their thing...each season ends with one of them trying to murder the other?

Maybe next season they'll throw us a curve ball. Villanelle shoots Eve again; Eve gasps in shock "But it was my turn!" before she slumps to the ground. :D

It is fun watching Villanelle grapple (unsuccessfully) with the whole being human thing.

One thing that struck me, though, is that Villanelle's plan wasn't completely insane. They're both on the run from both The Twelve and MI-6, so intellectually, teaming up isn't a bad idea. Villanelle's fantasy of domestic bliss is nuts, of course, but it wouldn't surprise me if they end up on the same side fairly soon just out of common interest...

18. Hercules67

Hercules67 TiVo addict

Dec 8, 2007
    The thing I enjoy the most about this show is that thin border between what makes one a psychopath and what makes one a normal person. Eve is just to this side of the border. Villanelle is just to the other side of the border. Both of them playing a person who flirts with the border and steps over it in either direction is a fascinating writing and acting job. I think both Oh and Comer deserve Emmys for this show. They are so good. And of course you have so many other characters who are completely either on one side or the other. Eve's husband in particular does an excellent job playing someone completely bewildered by being around psychopaths.

What a show. Wish there were more episodes, unfortunately, the quality would suffer I bet.

lynncosbm likes this.
  19. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I don't think Villanelle can see the border from where she is...

20. Hercules67

Hercules67 TiVo addict

Dec 8, 2007
    They should have went to Alaska together.