killed the peanut!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by vigfoot, Feb 17, 2007.

1. vigfoot

vigfoot New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    litchfield, CT

Advertisements

I dropped the remote for the 1,000th time and i think it's dead.

took it apart but i really don't know what i'm looking for...put everything back and still nothing.

almost seems like the batteries don't make contact- no light when i press any button.

any idears, fellers? :confused:

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Replace it! It's not worth the trouble to troubleshoot.

3. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    You beat me to it.

4. vigfoot

vigfoot New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    litchfield, CT

yeah...i have another but i think it's a "special" remote- it's very slow and the buttons have to be mashed before they work.

damn...it was a silver one. i like the silver ones. :( :p

5. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey

Advertisements

Buy a remote. If you are looking for a good universal remote that feels a lot like the peanut, I would recommend the Harmony 670. I love my 660 that I've had over a year.

6. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    You can get silver peanut remotes on ebay for about $3.99. They were marketed with the UK Tivos but they'll work with any Tivo. I don't know if it's the same silver remote you're referring to but, with a few exceptions, all Tivo remotes work exactly the same.

7. jporter12

jporter12 TiVo changed my life

Mar 10, 2006
    Johnstown, Ohio
    Killing the peanut is the first step to recovery!

I recommend something like the Harmony, or one of the Sony programmable universal remotes. I have the older RM-AV3000 and would have nothing else. Looks like they're going pretty cheap on ebay.

Also, the peanut's are really cheap on ebay, also.

8. vigfoot

vigfoot New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    litchfield, CT
    it's alive! :up:

the coiled battery connector thingy was misaligned, thus no contact, thus no juice.

wahoo!

btw, these things don't sell for $3.99 on ebay. more like $20+ when all things are considered.

while we're on the subject- why does my other peanut require a serious pressing down of the buttons in order to make it work? the silver one works alot easier.

9. mrmike

mrmike Custom User Title

May 2, 2001
    I had one that was like this, it turned out someone had spilled into it. Taking it apart and cleaning the conductive plastic/rubber thingys on the back of the buttons did wonders. YMMV.

10. Javaman

Javaman One Coffee IV please

Oct 26, 2001
    South Carolina
    I've had several, new out of the box act sluggishly and require hard pressing. It seems more like a manufacturing defect then contamination. They were packaged with new series one standalone models.

11. extension 721

extension 721 Minor Deity of TV

Sep 29, 2005
    once upon a time I dropped my favorite video game controller, and it stopped working...opened it up, the corner of the circuitboard was broken off. I used two jumper wires, scraped and soldered what WAS a printed circuit with good ol' copper wire!

This at age 12.

Worked fine.

12. vigfoot

vigfoot New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    litchfield, CT

Same here re: the one I mentioned above. After I thought the silver one was dead, I pulled one out of the box of one of my backup units and it's a PITA to operate.