Kill 'Quick Mode' ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by s7pete, Jun 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. s7pete

s7pete New Member

Jun 29, 2019

Advertisements

One of the strong points of earlier TiVos was the simplicity of using its excellent remote - even in the dark by feel. Our newer TiVo abandoned the simplicity concept in favor of a convoluted 'Quick Mode'. While watching a show I frequently have to pause or hit play (sometimes by accident) and TiVo switches to high speed gibberish; and a 'Quick Mode' message comes up - pressing Select sometimes gets rid of it - sometimes not. Sometimes we just have to abandon TiVo and go the FireTV. I can see that somebody watching sports may want to watch at 1.3X and don't care about the gibberish, but my wife and I will never use Quick Mode, but I don't see a way to use Settings to permanently toggle it OFF, like subtitles and other functions you want to operate semi-permanently.

Sooo, does anybody know how to kill Quick Mode ???

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Press Play, then Select...don't do it again.

Fixed forever...

-KP

CloudAtlas and wmcbrine like this.
  3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The box won't switch to Quick Mode with a simple click of the Play button; you have to hit Play and then Select to toggle it on and off. These buttons are pretty far apart, so it's a mystery how it might be happening on your box.

4. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It also tells you how to turn it off when it turns on. And turns itself off when you catch up in a live buffer. It is very simple, actually.

sharkster likes this.
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

It's also not "sticky" between different shows, so you'd have to reenable it for each show played.

jrtroo likes this.
  6. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    QuickMode is great for "unscripted" shows like reality TV. I've never had a problem with it coming on when it didn't tell it to.

CloudAtlas likes this.
  7. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Is this OP for real?

dishrich and CloudAtlas like this.
  8. Darrell Patton

Darrell Patton Active Member

Jul 19, 2018
    The only button problem I have is accidentally hitting the power button when I intend to hit the input button.

Dan203 likes this.
  9. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    [​IMG]

I cannot in my wildest dreams imagine how someone's common pattern of button presses might accidentally invoke Quickmode. But, other people's fingers are not limited by my imagination. Sometimes an old habit of holding, grabbing, or poking the remote that used to do one thing, starts doing another, and it causes a short rant before you learn not to do that. Some change did that to me once, don't remember what it was, but something my fingers would do out of habit, the remote behavior changed out from under me.

Pressing the Select button, with the Play Bar visible will toggle quickmode. To turn it on/off, push Play so the play bar is visible (if not visible), then press Select to toggle it.

tim1724, CloudAtlas and kpeters59 like this.
  10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I work in a support group for engineers. I can assure you this is far from the worst.

tenthplanet, Mikeguy and CloudAtlas like this.
  11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    That hilariously captures the comments over in the "Thumbs ratings gone from Hydra" thread complaining about not being able to use Thumbs to mark/track which shows had been viewed.

tenthplanet, 59er and CloudAtlas like this.
  12. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    I forgot Quick Mode even existed until I read this thread. I remember trying it out a few years ago when I first got my Tivo, but never really found any practical use for it. I suppose if you're watching something like a nature documentary where there is not much dialog then this might be useful.

13. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I can attest that I have accidentally enabled quick mode a couple of times, it happens.

Mikeguy likes this.
  14. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I use it for news shows. I'm always surprised at how natural it sounds, and it's well worth the time savings. I won't use it for fiction, though, where the actors' cadence is a part of their performance.

Never triggered it by accident, but I use a Harmony, so it's possible the button placement makes it less likely. Or maybe I'm just that GOOD! ;)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Mikeguy and krkaufman like this.
  15. humbb

humbb Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    For me, the most frequent accidental QM enabling occurs when I'm entering S-P-S codes (either directly or using KMTTG) after a restart.

I use it mostly for sports recordings. After skipping commercials, I can watch an entire baseball game in almost the time it used to take to watch a 1970's game live.

16. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The one that took the most getting use to for me was when they disabled the ability to press FF/RW a 4th time to stop it. Took a while before I got use to that and pressing the play button instead.

17. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I've never had quick mode turn itself on. I really love QM. Aside from 'skip', it was the favorite thing for me when I went from Premieres to Bolts.

dishrich and CloudAtlas like this.
  18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah, but since those are special codes, I don't consider that an accidental activation as part of regular use, but a side-effect one needs to be aware of when using special codes.

With great power ...

19. CloudAtlas

CloudAtlas Bryan

Oct 29, 2013
    New York, NY
    Moving to the Roamio from the Premiere was magical. Quick Mode is the feature i didn’t know I needed. It’s the only way I can watch a baseball game.

sharkster and kpeters59 like this.
  20. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I occasionally use quick mode when I watch American Ninja Warrior...

kpeters59 likes this.