Kid Nation 9/26/07 "To Kill or Not To Kill?" *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by scottykempf, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1 of 109
    scottykempf

scottykempf New Member

Dec 1, 2004

Advertisements

OMG, they have their own PETA group! :D
    But seriously, if you eat chicken or beef, then you can't cast stones. I wonder how many kids don't associate meat products with the animal?

So much for authenticity. Having a giant blue heated water slide in the middle of town? Just like olden days!

2. Sep 26, 2007 #2 of 109
    jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas

If you actually have to KILL the animal you are going to eat, I think it may make the person more respectful of the animal. Treat it well. Kill humanely. Cook it well and make it taste good. use as many parts as you can.

But you are right. For most people in modern society (not just kids), are detached from the process of what it takes to get that plastic wrapped on styrofoam animal protein they buy at the megamart.

So, if they can learn something, it's great IMHO. Not a bad lesson to learn.

3. Sep 26, 2007 #3 of 109
    DLL66

DLL66 Member

Oct 20, 2002
    TN

I completely agree! The young ones are getting to learn how things really are, in a small way. I'd figure I'd be reading comments from some bleeding hearts, but I'm sure it's to come!

4. Sep 26, 2007 #4 of 109
    scottykempf

scottykempf New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    "Pageant queens dont scrape out dishes."

"Greg is only doing it for the gold star." If you think that anyone isn't shooting for that gold star, you are nuts.

5. Sep 26, 2007 #5 of 109
    heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL

Advertisements

Those non-freezing water pumps sure would have been nice to have. The Green team has some outstanding individuals, but they aren't a very good team.

Good call on the Gold Star.

Slaughtering the chickens took me by surprise. This show is certainly willing to take some risks and I have no doubt this is going to stir up a hornet's nest.

Oh, also -- NO shortage of advertising this week.

6. Sep 26, 2007 #6 of 109
    DLL66

DLL66 Member

Oct 20, 2002
    TN

Greg got screwed. I don't blame the kid for getting angry. I guess we will see how well he won't take it.

7. Sep 26, 2007 #7 of 109
    uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    Knowing/assuming they'd never give a person a gold star twice, I suppose the plan is to win one early and then coast.

Another great life lesson. ;)

8. Sep 26, 2007 #8 of 109
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I wonder if the council said something like "Well, if Greg still puts out extra effort after not getting the star, then he'll get it next time".

And how does Morgan get booted off of the council? I think she's really cute, but not exactly setting a good example for people...

9. Sep 26, 2007 #9 of 109
    heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    If Greg has half a brain, he'll keep his composure and keep doing what he's been doing. Someone needs to get word to him that he was that close before.

But somehow I doubt he'll be able to. I'll be surprised if he's got the patience to play a long game.

10. Sep 26, 2007 #10 of 109
    DLL66

DLL66 Member

Oct 20, 2002
    TN

I don't think any of these kids are looking that far down the road in playing the long game. Most kids think that it is now or never.

11. Sep 27, 2007 #11 of 109
    lawilson2

lawilson2 New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Michael definitely deserved it; he deserved it last week. He has the type of spirit that even after this week, he will keep working for the greater good.

Greg, on the other hand, is narrow minded and looking out only for #1. If he got it this early, yeah, he would definitely coast the rest of the series.

Taylor needs to go fast; she's a mess. Cute, but a mess.

12. Sep 27, 2007 #12 of 109
    Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    I felt bad for Greg b/c he did really seem to be the most deserving person this week. Yes, he was motivated by the star, but that doesn't negate all the work he did. Some people just need motivation, and isn't that the point of the star? He was very professional about the chickens and from what we saw, I'm not sure the other kids would have been able to do that without his help. And then he went a long way in winning the challenge for his team. Unfortunately his bad attitude last week has stayed in people's minds.

Someone on the council needs to take Greg aside and let him know how close he was and that if he just keeps it up he will win one soon. If not, I think his temper will come out and that will be ugly. Michael knew that too -- you could see that he was trying to do damage control specifically with respect to Greg with his comments and his hug after he won. I don't think Michael necessarily deserved the star this week, but he is a talented natural leader and overall I am impressed with him the most of the kids so far.

I hope the council is not fixed in stone the whole time. Taylor clearly is not pulling her weight and it's obvious to the other kids. There ought to be some way to make leadership changes in some sort of democratic way when one of the council members is dragging down the entire operation.

Interesting show.

13. Sep 27, 2007 #13 of 109
    lawilson2

lawilson2 New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Nice post. I was hesitant about keeping this an SP, but I'll stick it out. After all, I work in education, and this is definitely interesting. :)

14. Sep 27, 2007 #14 of 109
    scottykempf

scottykempf New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    IMPEACH TAYLOR!! :D

15. Sep 27, 2007 #15 of 109
    AJRitz

AJRitz Princess Anti-Santa

Mar 25, 2002
    Overland...
    Yeah - Taylor is close to inspiring a revolt among her own team, let alone the teams having to cover for her unwillingness to get her team working. If they DON'T have a formal way of changing leadership, I suspect her team will come up with an informal way pretty soon.

The gold star award isn't necessarily for the person who works the hardest. It's for the person who is most deserving. Michael was more deserving, especially considering the first entire first six days. Greg had to overcome his well-earned reputation as a worthless jerk from the first three days. He's probably gotten himself back to zero in the Council's eyes. But he probably doesn't understand that well enough to keep working hard, and instead he'll revert back to the personality he appears more comfortable with - the one of selfish, rude, slacker.

16. Sep 27, 2007 #16 of 109
    Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Liked the episode and pretty much agree with the thoughts posted so far.

Greg needs to keep his cool. 3 more days of working like he just put in and the star is his for the taking. I also agree though that once he wins it that his productive days are over. Overall I did not mind that they gave it to Michael as he has given consistant effort for 2 straight shows. I got to believe that they won't repeat a Gold Star winner and they will be giving out 13 so Greg will get another shot if he keeps his cool.

We are only seeing a handful of kids so far but I have been impressed with Michael, Lauren (is that the redheads name) and Sophia. It is surprising to me that their green team is performing so poorly in the challenges. I give Sophia extra credit for sticking to her guns and being the first one to speak up against the council again. I noticed that once she started it everyone else joined in giving Taylor a hard time.

I felt bad for that one boy on the yellow team who realized just how bad the rest of his team was making them look.

17. Sep 27, 2007 #17 of 109
    unicorngoddess

unicorngoddess Wooooonicorngodess

Nov 19, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I think Michael really did deserve it. He deserved it last week before they knew about the star. Unfortunately for Greg, he still has a lot to make up for with the way he acted last week. Yes this week he was better, but I applaud the council for giving the star to Michael and realizing that the only reason Greg's attitude changed was because of the star. IMO, Greg's true colors were showing before he knew about the star...that's the real Greg. I would say, if he can continue the way he is for at least two more challenges, THEN I would consider giving him the star.

18. Sep 27, 2007 #18 of 109
    visionary

visionary HAVE BRAIN WILL USE!

May 31, 2006
    Norfolk Va.
    What kind of idiot producer puts a water slide out in the old west, and in WINTER? Would any of you go to a water park and slide with it 40 degrees or less, if it was open? If it was winter why not a HOT TUB, that would have made sense, fit the old west, and don't they need baths by now anyway, do it with friends!

I sure see trouble ahead, it isn't just Greg who will be mad about no star, what about the council members THEMSELVES, I guess they can never get one, so why work hard, just be a CEO or something? Working for money is what people do, why would anyone want to work hard for nothing? Do you go in to work if they were not going to pay you and it was not a charity event but a for profit company (CBS). Yet people criticize him for working only for money? That is called--normal--

As for Greg's issue and the above, of course I have the correct solutions. When the star comes up, first announce the 3 semi-finalists and thank each publicly for their work and list it, then award the star to one. Then they know and are thanked, it is a fallacy to expect there is only one great worker in the first place is the problem, and this would help that issue.

Now, for the council, have a term to their office, maybe 13 days and elections, that would allow 3 groups, and it also solves the star issue for those on the council, once off they could win a star.

To keep winners working, come up with a lesser prize for runners up, maybe special meals or use of that bicycle or something.... maybe a skinny dip with the opp sex for all 3... I saw barrels in the store... I bet I could sure motivate them to want to keep at working then! They would not feel bad about anything after that, and you could win this again.... that would work really well.

19. Sep 27, 2007 #19 of 109
    Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I could definitely see an election coming up at some point in time after the kids have had enough time to get to know each other, and then maybe a redistribution of the "teams".

20. Sep 27, 2007 #20 of 109
    AJRitz

AJRitz Princess Anti-Santa

Mar 25, 2002
    Overland...
    I suspect that the seeds of an election possibility are already being laid. At the beginning of each town council meeting, the first question the host asks is for everyone to vote on whether they think their town council is doing a good job. So far, the votes have been overwhelming in support of the town council - only Sophia and one other kid voted that they didn't think the council was doing a good job. I'd bet that as soon as the majority votes that the council isn't doing a good job, they have an almost immediate election.