Kid Nation - 11/7/2007

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by heySkippy, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Nov 8, 2007 #1 of 35
    heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL

Advertisements

Another very fun episode, I'm glad the Kentucky girl stayed. I got a big kick out of the girl laying in the street because she was bored eventually moving on because a bunch joined her. I can relate.

The talent show was fun too. Jared finally impressed me.

I am surprised that they still have 38 of the 40 original kids. I really expected more to get homesick and drop out.

2. Nov 8, 2007 #2 of 35
    Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    It's about time green won the upper class!

And damn, Laurel can sing!!!

I sure hope that the council members get some shot at earning a Gold Star or equivalent, because Laurel definitely deserves one.

3. Nov 8, 2007 #3 of 35
    waldingrl

waldingrl Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Laurel has a great voice. I'm glad they made her sing. It was nice to see a few more of the kids get "featured", but at this point I think we know who the major characters are.

I was really hoping they'd win the block party.

And from the kid point of view: Our son won't miss this show. He was screaming at the tv for green district to win upper class and then rooting on Zach and the yellow district so that they could win the reward. It's interesting to ask him questions about what's going on to see what impressions the show has made on him. :)

4. Nov 8, 2007 #4 of 35
    jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    When Laurel sang, I turned to my wife and said "Simon Cowell will be calling her". She has a phenomenal voice and could take it very far.

5. Nov 8, 2007 #5 of 35
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI

Advertisements

This episode really didn't do it for me. Maybe I'm finally just unable to get past how ridiculously contrived and heavily edited the show is. This episode may be the tipping point for me. I can't think of anything positive to say about the episode, except that the rewards for this challenge were really quite lame (in a good way, since they didn't win it)

6. Nov 8, 2007 #6 of 35
    uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    We're still loving this show, though I want more Taylor. :eek:

7. Nov 8, 2007 #7 of 35
    lalouque

lalouque Quilter-Cat Slave TCF Club

Feb 11, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I can't believe the "beauty queen" didn't have a talent to show off. Maybe she just didn't make the cut...

8. Nov 8, 2007 #8 of 35
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I was kind of surprised it took that long for some of those kids to show off their talents. I'd think that the piano players would have already spent a little time tickling the keys in the saloon and that we'd have seen that. I'd especially think that the older kid who can play and sing would have been wooing the girls with that before now. The kid who did the bird call, hasn't he been doing that all the time? I know if I could make a cool noise and I was introduced to a whole new group of kids, I'd be showing that off.

9. Nov 8, 2007 #9 of 35
    scottykempf

scottykempf New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I highly suspect that there is an unspoken (to us at least) rule that they can't give the gold star to the same person twice. Makes sense, but I wonder what would have happened in this episode. What if one of the kids who already won a gold star was also the most talented?

10. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South

They'd probably agree to give it to someone else.

I'm wondering if in this episode they acknowledged that they didn't want to give 2 gold stars to the same family. I'd probably factor that in as well, if only to help break a tie.

11. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Yo, I'd say it was aight but a bit pitchy.

12. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    FYP

13. DLL66

DLL66 Member

Oct 20, 2002
    TN

:up: I absolutley agree!

14. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Yeah it would be nice to see the council members to get rewarded at some point. Laurel for the entire show so far is probably more deserving of additional recognition than anyone who has not won a star so far.

I think the show continues to be a good one for me.

15. MitchO

MitchO Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ
    I must be subconsciously aware of some stereotypes that I've never even heard of ... before Laurel opened her mouth, I turned and said "She's going to sing Amazing Grace". O_O

16. MisterBubble

MisterBubble Makes Bathtime Fun!

Oct 30, 2005
    Central Florida
    When you think about it, the first kid left in the first episode, after everyone found out they had a chance (however slim) of winning $20K, the temptation to go home only hit one more kid hard enough to actually leave.

Jared just cracks me up.. what was that scene where Greg said "Romeo, Romeo, where are thou?" and Jared is behind the bar and says "Hold on, I'm peeing!" or whatever. Was he peeing in the sink??? That was just weird.

And that girl who continues to think she deserves a gold star for taking free potatoes and frying them and then charging $ for them is seriously delusional.

I also love Sophia and how she keeps inventing ways to amuse herself. Like this week's laying in the street - and last week's "let's see who is desperate enough for money to go up to their elbows in this pot filled with ick" experiment.

17. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    It's getting close to too much for us. She seems a bit too full of herself at times.

18. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I like Jared (though I was a little surprised by his tossing that table a couple weeks ago - is that why people refer to him as "pimp Jared" or did I miss something?). Anyway, I like Jared, but each week I find myself thinking, "Man, that kid would so be getting his a$$ kicked regularly back in the day!"

And I realize that we see a small percentage of what goes on there, but what the heck is up with Divad??? I've made my own cracks about what Taylor's mom must be like based on Taylor's behavior (albeit as portrayed), but what the heck are Divad's parents like? Is she the product of the over-the-top congratulatory direction that parenting has been taking over the years? To think she needs to be the center of attention and everybody HAS to recognize what (she feels) she does and to even go as far as nominating HERSELF every time the council is asking who is deserving of the star? I just don't get something there.

And count me among those surprised that we didn't see Taylor in the talent show. I say that not because she seems like an attention hound, but that she has apparently been in so many pageants that it just seemed natural that she would be doing something (though maybe she did and it's on the cutting room floor).

Greg and Blaine had me cracking up, but what was with Greg coming out in that black dress, then all the sudden he's doing his bit in a cowboy get-up?

For some reason, if I had to pick one of the council leaders that would chew someone's ABC gum (already-been-chewed), it would not have been Anjay! :D

From what they've shown of Sophia, I think she's a pretty cool kid. A little different, but in a good way. Lying out in the road because she was bored (which I just found hilarious!), dancing to earn money for a bike, stuff like that. Then when everyone else started lying down, she got bored with that and left. Too funny!

I am enjoying this show a lot more than I thought I would. It was also pretty nice to see Kennedy's mom break down over the $20,000 star. That's the kind of reaction I guess I would expect from most of them.

So how does this all end??? "OK everybody, Bonanza City survives, you've done a fantastic job doing what the pioneers couldn't! Now for your final reward, here's some sledge hammers, go ahead and destroy it." Or "We've had a great time, you've done a fantastic job! See ya!" I'm just finding it hard to see what end they are moving toward.

What might be kind of fun is some "here they are twenty years later" bits with the main kids we've been seeing week in and week out. What's the end game???

It would be kind of cool to see a final scene where all the kids are sitting off in the distance looking out over the town and then one of them pushes a plunger and the town blows to smithereens! How cool would that be?

ETA: Seriously, I type so slow that MisterBubble made a lot of my points, but I swear I didn't see that post until I finally hit the "post" button! :eek:

19. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    He made a boatload of cash (by Bonanza standards) selling souvenir necklaces to the other kids and blew it all on a pimp costume. He was even imitating the "wocka-wocka" guitar music as he walked down the street.

20. lawilson2

lawilson2 New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Jared is seriously talented. He has on camera natural humor that is hilarious. Reality TV is good for him; scripted comedy (sit-com) would not work.

As for Greg & Blaine, I could tell that Greg was just playing around, but Blaine seemed to really get into it...a little too much.

And what's with the kid MC'ing and that leather jacket or Kango hat? Is he supposed to be the fashion Divo of the show?

DK is such a good leader and I hope he gets a council chance.

All in all, good episode. :)