Kickstart Initiation

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by minimeh, Dec 20, 2011.

1. minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    My 4 month old WD20EARS drive appears to have failed. Before giving up on it, I thought I would try Kickstart 54 on it. I don't appear to be successfully initiating the kickstart, so I'm wondering if I'm doing it correctly for a Premiere.

Here's what I do and what I see:
    • Pull the power cord and wait 15 seconds.
    • Plug in the power cord and wait until the green light is on and the amber light is flashing.
      Note that the green light does not flash alternately with the amber light, but rather the green light is steady and the amber light flashes.
    • Press Pause on the remote.
      This causes the red light to come on.
    • Press 5 and then 4 on the remote within 10 seconds of pressing Pause.
      This causes a blue light to come on and the red light goes out.

After that, the boot process continues with the "Almost there" screen. Then after a few moments, the green, amber, blue, and two red lights flash and the reboot cycle begins again. If I don't intervene, the rebooting cycles continue. At no time do I see any indication that the kickstart has initiated.

When I plug the original drive back in (with no other changes), the TiVo boots up and runs fine. I'm hesitant to try a kickstart on that drive at this time!

Do my steps look correct?

Thanks.

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You really don't have to wait to hit pause... just hit pause from startup.. (I don't remember if the rest are right)

3. DavidTigerFan

DavidTigerFan No, not Detroit. TCF Club

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    Uggh, I think mine might be failing as well. It's locking up when I'm playing shows and the Tivo is now in an infinite reboot cycle it seems.

4. minimeh

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    Thanks mattack. So while I need not wait for the flashing amber light before pressing pause, doing so should still work to initiate the kickstart? And the fact that the kickstart doesn't fire up itself indicates a problem?

I have since begun testing the drive with WD Diagnostics. it passed the quick test and has a couple of hours left on the extensive test. If it passes that as well, I guess I'll rebuild from the original and try it again in the TiVo.

[EDIT]

Extended test complete and the drive tests good. So now to rebuild it from the original and see how it works after that.

5. minimeh

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    Just to put a close to this thread, I rebuilt the 2TB disk again from the original, extended and supersized as before. No errors were generated during that process either.

Pleased to say, the 2TB drive is back in the Premier and working fine.

I never did get a kickstart to run, but of course didn't try again on the rebuilt drive. Chicken, I guess. :)