Kickstart 58 doesn't work right?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Dr_Zoidberg, Feb 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Feb 7, 2017 #1 of 10
    Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004
    I've had a couple reboots lately in my TiVo Premiere XL4 at random times, while recording and/or watching programs. Last night, it became unresponsive in a playback, so I had to unplug it to get it to respond. It came up properly, but I figured maybe it was time to do some maintenance.

A couple years ago I replaced the hard drive so I have 477 HD hours of recording space, and more recently, I got up to 94% capacity. I figured I'd delete a few things and run the defrag, so I dropped down to 75% usage (247 recordings are in the 'Recently Deleted Items' folder), rebooted, and did the Pause-5-8 sequence to fire up kickstart. Instead of the GSOD, I saw this:

[​IMG]

Which is not right, is it? I let it do its thing, restarted it again, and then ran the Pause-5-7 sequence, which brought up the GSOD, as expected. It ran for about 1/2 an hour, and came back.

So, just for grins, I redid the restart-pause-5-8 sequence, in case I mistyped, and it put up the "installing a service update" screen again!

What's up with that?

I am running 20.6.3.RC15-01-2-758

2. Feb 7, 2017 #2 of 10
    Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    Try kickstart 56.

Maybe TiVo swapped 56 and 58.

3. Feb 7, 2017 #3 of 10
    Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Nope, just tried that, but I'm not sure what it did, if anything. It didn't display the "Installing a service update" screen. The software version didn't change (I am running the latest), and it returned to normal within 5 minutes.

4. May 5, 2018 #4 of 10
    thorpemark

thorpemark New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    oops.. I just did the 58 this morning and my tivo is still on that "installing an update" screen.. this will take a few minutes? Its been many hours now.

I was just trying to get tivo to recalculate and update the %used diskspace number. It had gotten up to 81% or so on my Roamio and I just deleted a whole lot of crap... and the number was at 80%.. which is nuts. I think it should be back down around 60%.

I do have a fair amount of KUID recordings and I routinely deleted the deleted files.. keeping it empty fairly often.
    Is it safe to hard-reboot at this point? (aka unplug)

5. Inventionroom

Inventionroom New Member

May 20, 2020
    I can confirm the same experience with Kickstart 58. After experiencing glitches and reboots, I successfully did a kickstart 54 and had 3 Fail 7 errors. Now I’m trying Kickstart 58, and am not seeing the GSOD or a blank screen, but the “installing an update... this will take a few minutes” screen.

The Kickstart 54 scan took 13 hours (793 mins, 37 secs to be exact). So, I’m trying to find out if this “update” screen is the new normal for KS 58... and I should just let it do it’s thing for potentially several hours? That’s where I’m at right now.

I’m on a TiVo premiere 4 series (TCD746320) with prior 2TB upgrade. Drive was upgraded in September 2011, so it’s Had a pretty decent run.

6. Inventionroom

Inventionroom New Member

May 20, 2020
    After reading another post, where the user waited 12 hours on the “installing update” screen, I decided to abort and try KS 57. It took the code and then got stuck on the welcome screen (this may have occurred twice. Most recently, unplugged again, waited 15 seconds, plugged it in (Entered NO new codes) and reached the GSOD. The green screen says “The Tivo box has detected a serious problem and is now attempting to fix it. This will take about three hours. PLEASE DO NOT UNPLUG OR RESTART THE TIVO BOX!” — so I’m definitely going to wait this out and hopefully will know more within three hours.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  7. Inventionroom

Inventionroom New Member

May 20, 2020
    Now, three hours later and I’m still on the green screen message— so maybe my actions have made the situation worse. I will wait another few hours and see if anything changes. If not, I’ve already ordered a new HD, so may be using an image for my TCD746320 and DVRBARS to get this box up and running (starting from scratch). Prior, I transferred my most important recordings over WiFi to TiVo desktop... so can load them back onto a fresh HD once I’m back in business. I’m documenting this all in case someone is in the same boat and might learn from any mistakes or successes I have.

8. Inventionroom

Inventionroom New Member

May 20, 2020
    Since I’ve a new HD on the way and have backed up my most important programs, I don’t mind trying stuff. After 5 hours passed with the GSOD which said to wait “three hours” — nothing had happened, so I unplugged and tried KS 58 again. It got me to the “Installing update” screen (again)... so I’m back to where I was earlier today. This time I’ll be patient and wait 3 hours (Or longer) and check on it. I keep reviewing posts and it’s hard to find a post describing everything that happens in a KS 58 process. One user said it should take 3 hours or less with all tivo units, but then the thread stopped and the OP never confirmed anything.

I will return and update. It feels like I’m doing this for an audience of one (myself :)) but hopefully others in the future can review and perhaps learn from my trial and error.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  9. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    I would recommend downloading a copy of spinrite 6 and performing one pass of a level 2 diagnostic on the drive. PM sent.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  10. Inventionroom

Inventionroom New Member

May 20, 2020
    Thanks for the help Thom.

Update: Spinrite tried to do its thing but eventually a red screen popped up and said “Division Overflow Error!” — “A critical error occurred at : 5672” — “from which SpinRite CANNOT recover.” —“The system has been halted!”

Google search found other users get this error at the same “5672” place— So SpinRite may be having an issue with larger drives.

It was worth a try. In any event, I’ve moved on to using a new 4tb HD and image. I am using DVRBars and MFSTools. I am making progress but am stuck. I’ve documented my steps here: MFS Tools 3.2