Keye TV 42-1 weak signal?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Welshdog, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Apr 7, 2019 #1 of 37
    Welshdog

Welshdog Tivo this, punk!

Jan 3, 2005

Advertisements

All day today we have been unable to tune channel 42-1 in Austin. This station is KEYE-TV the CBS affiliate. All other stations tune in correctly. I checked signal strength and it showed 45 for CBS and around 75 for all other stations. Anyone else having this issue for OTA in Austin? We tried contacting through Twitter and FAcebook with no response. Also no posts by the station that mention any technical problems.

Thanks

2. Apr 7, 2019 #2 of 37
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    45 is quite weak for Tivo to receive.

3. Apr 7, 2019 #3 of 37
    Welshdog

Jan 3, 2005
    Yes it is. We have not experienced this problem before - normally signals around here are good.

4. Apr 7, 2019 #4 of 37
    phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    According to Wikipedia, KEYE is moving from UHF 43 to UHF 34 in April 2018, which is now.
    They could be doing low power testing while getting ready for the move.

I know when the station I work at changed frequencies, there were a lot of days over a couple weeks when we had to go to half power while they moved things.

5. Apr 7, 2019 #5 of 37
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

The difference between TV and Tivo reception is, TV only has 1 tuner and Tivo is 4-6 tuners.

6. Apr 7, 2019 #6 of 37
    Welshdog

Jan 3, 2005
    Yep - been using Tivo for probably 18 years now.

7. Apr 7, 2019 #7 of 37
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    With the current DTV "Repacking", you may need to add an amplifier.

8. Apr 7, 2019 #8 of 37
    Mr Tony

Mr Tony formerly known as "unclehonkey"

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    probably not. KEYE is moving from RF43 to RF34 but keeping same power (1 million watts) and tower height (1296 feet)

9. Apr 7, 2019 #9 of 37
    Mr Tony

Mr Tony formerly known as "unclehonkey"

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    actually phase 3 runs from 4/13-6/21 so they can move anytime during that slot. I dont see any station nearby that they would have to wait for. There is a low powered station on RF34 in Austin but they have no protection and KEYE will bump them off RF34

10. Welshdog

Jan 3, 2005
    So far I have seen no information from the station regarding the frequency move. You would think they would put something up on their website or social media.

I emailed their chief engineer and true to form for every single chief engineer I have ever dealt with, he blamed my equipment and not his.

11. Welshdog

Jan 3, 2005
    Now the chief is telling me Tivo changed something yesterday and it now won't lock to their signal. Anyone know if this is true - did Tivo change something last night or in some recent update?

12. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    No They didnt change something to mess up one channel. I would make sure your antenna is still aimed properly and I would also hook the cable up to a TV or something and verify the signal there as well. If it is still weak then you know the Tivo is not the issue

reubanks1 likes this.
  13. reubanks1

reubanks1 New Member

Apr 8, 2019
    I have the same issue. In the channel list it also shows keye sd which will work, however, it will not show programs in the guide.

Welshdog likes this.
  14. affesaft

affesaft New Member

Feb 19, 2018
    We noticed yesterday that we couldn't see anything on 42-1. Then we noticed Tivo had added some new channels to our lineup, including a second 42-1 with no guide data. The 42-1 without guide data would show us the 42-1 broadcasts listed in the other 42-1 channels entry. I re-ran guided setup this morning, and now there is only one 42-1, but it is the one with guide data and without picture and sound. When I check signal strength on 42-1 it is green @ 67. If I manually tune to 42-1: "Problem with the signal on this channel. Try again. (V53)" My zipcode is 78744. I'll retry with 78704 just to see if anything changes.

Update: changing zipcode and rerunning guided setup did not solve the problem.

I did misreport earlier: after rerunning guided setup, no 42-1s are in the generated channel list at all, but if I manually tune to 42-1, program data will show up without picture or sound.

After guided setup and no 42s, I ran the channel scan/find new channels and it found 42-1 and 42-1*, et. al. By manually adding 42-1* I can see the programming & by manually adding 42-1 I can see the guide info. So the inconvenience for viewing is manageable, but no preset recordings/one passes will record on 42 because there's no signal on the channel with the guide data.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  15. reubanks1

reubanks1 New Member

Apr 8, 2019
    Yep, same issue the rest of us are having. KEYE doesnt seem to be of any help when they should be concerned over viewer ability to watch their channel.

16. Welshdog

Jan 3, 2005
    So I am not alone. My emails with their chief engineer were fruitless as he continues to blame the Tivos. We have a Roamio and a Bolt. Both lost the ability to tune 42-1 around the same time.

Today signal strength is 45 again. I noticed that the frequency shown is 34. This is interesting since that is the new frequency they are supposed to move to some time this year. While still in the Signal Strength Meter tool, I changed the channel up. It still shows 42-1, but the frequency changed to 43 and a picture was acquired. Strength is 75. This jibes with what affesaft stated earlier regarding the 42-1 and 42-1*. Wonder what the asterisk means?

To me this says that guide/channel data is wrong - somebody jumped the gun on the frequency change. The Tivo is trying to find KEYE on UHF frequency 34 and there isn't anything there yet.

Are there any Tivo engineering staff on TivoCommunity we can contact?

17. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Let me offer a few points. In that signal strength diag the work "frequency" should say "physical channel". The asterisk means that entry was added due to a channel scan. Normal signal strength for a Roamio or Bolt OTA is 72 due to AGC. TiVo maintains your channel list through their database and could care less what KEYE does. TiVo will have to fix the problem. This is the form: Report a Lineup Issue There is no reliable TiVo presence on TCF. But if you want to attack them, @TiVoSupport on Twitter is good.

This problem has been around for a while. This thread has a lot of information: Channel repack has begun, and it's not good!

18. affesaft

affesaft New Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Update from KEYE:

TiVo users: Here's why you can't tune in CBS Austin and what to do to see our programming

AUSTIN, Texas — If you use a TiVo DVR to access CBS Austin and Telemundo Austin programming, here's why you can't see our programming.

Due to the upcoming FCC-mandated repack, TiVo preemptively changed the frequency for KEYE and NEYE from 43 to 34.

However, TiVo made a mistake and that change was made too early.

As a result, CBS Austin and Telemundo Austin were unavailable to TiVo users.

According to TiVo, they corrected the frequency back to channel 43 early Monday morning, however the change may take 48 to 72 hours to become visible to TiVo users.

Some customers may be able to manually tune in CBS Austin and Telemundo Austin on Monday evening, but that is not guaranteed.

In the meantime, the CBS Austin director of engineering recommends connecting your antenna directly to your television to receive our programming, bypassing the TiVo.

We recognize this is not ideal, and we apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

Welshdog, Stevenk2 and JoeKustra like this.
  19. Stevenk2

Stevenk2 New Member

Oct 26, 2018
    I thought I was going insane. After spending half of yesterday testing antenna I saw that TiVo was tunning to 34 and not 43.

20. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Point being the TiVo doesn't use the PSIP data. Some televisions even have diagnostics that show channel frequencies. My Sony sets do. A channel scan on the TV may be required.