Kenan (NBC) Series Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Mar 18, 2021.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

We don't have an ongoing thread for Kenan, so here ya' go!

I started this thread because surprisingly, this has turned into a good show. It's warm, cute, funny. The writers have developed a feel for the characters, and the actors are finding their voices. I said in an earlier post that I didn't see myself sticking around, that the first couple eps just didn't have anything worth watching. But that's why sitcoms take a few episodes to come together.

Don Johnson is great, the girls are cute, and the workplace setting has become funny, instead of angsty. The first couple episodes spent so much time on his mourning his dead wife that it was a dirge. Now the writers have discovered that sweet spot where he reminisces fondly, instead of rending his shirt all the time.

It's kinda funny, when Kenan and Young Rock both premiered, I thought YR had potential, and Kenan was doomed. I'm already tired of YR, and Kenan is growing on me.

wiki link:
    <i>Kenan</i> (TV series)

2. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I never finished the first episode. I tried watching it 3 different times, and just couldn't get into it.

3. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    The only thing I can say is stick with it (and it may be too late for many). The first couple eps really didn't move me either, and I'm surprised I stuck around. But it's found its footing quickly, although the 3 or 4 episodes it took may be too many these days.

4. lambertman

lambertman With an "L"

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Yeah, I trashed episode 1 on here but now I'd say it's acceptable. Still not great but if you've got time to kill, go for it.

5. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015

Advertisements

Rick was good, especially with the kids. The sitcom Kenan and his wife starred in was good.

Kenan's brother was good and I liked his clothes.

Other than that, not a good episode. Even Mika was no help. She made me feel comfortable at first because of her "Single Parents" role but that doesn't seem to be working now.

6. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    The latest one was pretty good except for the rap "music". I liked the music when Kenan was having a meal at a nice restaurant with his brother.

I liked Mika again. Can't say the same for his co-host who was persuaded to do something she didn't want to do.

And I liked how the kids were so impressed with Mika's skills. I certainly didn't want to see Kenan leave the show but Mika knew what she was doing. Kenan didn't need to do more than he was doing.

For the first time I'm wondering what Rick actually does other than taking care of the girls. Is he old enough to be retired from something?

7. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Well, the actor is 71....

8. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Some people consider that a full-time job.

9. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    If he's retired, though, I'm wondering from what.

10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    From nbc:

Rick was a gallivanting sax player when his daughter, Cori (Niccole Thurman), was young and missed out on a lot of her childhood, so he is aiming to make that up with his granddaughters, although his old-school parenting style does not often match up to Kenan's.

astrohip likes this.
  11. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I liked the most recent episode where it showed the value/importance of Kenan's brother to his career. He seems like a freeloader (and he mostly is), but this episode showed that he and Kenan have a good relationship and that he truly has Kenan's best interests at heart.

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I think I've watched 2 so far.. will watch at least a couple more..
    funny thing is, at the very beginning of the first episode, I thought he was getting fired, then I realized his (in-show) TV show is named for him.

oh, and "even though it's a sitcom", the fact that all 3 of them left to go to that guy's house without even a mention of someone staying to watch the kids jumped out at me..

13. lambertman

lambertman With an "L"

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Did y’all recognize the store that Rick and Gary went to in tonight’s ep? :D

14. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    Were we supposed to? I know Ludacris is a rapper but when they mentioned "The Fast and Furious", I remembered he was in that. I like those films but I've missed at least one because I couldn't remember which one I had seen. And stations never show that one. Only the one I saw.

15. lambertman

lambertman With an "L"

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    (I guess not! It was the Cloud 9 exterior set from Superstore.)

mattack likes this.
  16. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    On a new show called "United States of Al", Al and his friend Riley were called "Crockett and Tubbs" when they served in Afghanistan.

Anyone know the significance of that for this show?

17. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Obviously a 'Miami Vice' reference, probably just referring to the brown guy and white guy buddy duo.

mattack likes this.
  18. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    Yes, and who was on "Miami Vice"?

19. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    So you're simply trying to point out that the guy playing Kenan's father-in-law is the same guy who played Sonny Crockett? As if anyone watching didn't already know that? Or are you making a more subtle point that I'm missing?

20. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    You think everyone watching the show knows this?