1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEEP your original HD !!!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by SalemCat, Jun 10, 2017.

1. SalemCat

SalemCat Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Ok, I finally "got brave" and resolved to use MSTOOLS to upgrade (3) of my Premiere.

The original (320GB to 4TB) worked fine.

Then I got lazy and used the same SOURCE to copy to (2) 1TB HDs.

But the (2) remaining Premieres refused to TRANSFER recordings no matter what hoops I and they jumped through.

Wasted HOURS.

Finally I did use MFSTOOLS on EACH original HD (which I had kept) to copy to EACH of the (2) 1TB HDs, and everything works.

Somehow the Original HD contains critical information that is mated to that particular TiVo.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd think you'd need to do a Clear & Delete Everything after booting-up if you used an image from another DVR.

SalemCat likes this.
  3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Correct, the drive's software is married to that particular Tivo but if you had just ran "Clear & Delete Everything", that would marry the software to the Tivo MB, set to the TSN (otherwise, the TSN in System Info would be all zeroes), and be able to record again. Connect to Tivo service and then you can transfer shows again.

Added: You only added 1 TB, but did you know its possible to go as high as 8TB now?
    What model drives did you use?
    Recommended drives are WD Reds, not Red Pros.

SalemCat likes this.
  4. SalemCat

SalemCat Member

Apr 13, 2006
    I used an old and used Green WD 1TB, and a slightly used WD Purple 1TB, as DESTINATIONS on (2) of them.

Oh, and the original source a 320GB Premiere, which I copied to a NEW 4TB WD Purple. This was totally successful and easy.

I suppose many different DESTINATION HD's would work; it is the SOURCE that matters.

At this point I will not disagree that the useful advice submitted by others is not valid; it is just so simple in most instances to use the original HD as a SOURCE that any further work is un-needed.

And if you are not doing TRANSFERS, you will likely not encounter the issues I did.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  5. SalemCat

SalemCat Member

Apr 13, 2006
    All (3) were simple 320GB Premieres to start with.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Consider that if the C&DE clean-up weren't possible, anyone with a TiVo with a dead hard drive would be completely out of luck. (i.e. no original HD from which to initialize the new drive)

But, yeah, many ways to skin a cat...

SalemCat likes this.
  7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    All TCD746320 and TCD746500 models are the exact same Premiere models, only different drive sizes. These images are interchangable, but to get things working, CD&E must be run on the boxes with an image from another Tivo.

SalemCat likes this.
  8. SalemCat

SalemCat Member

Apr 13, 2006
    I am still using (3) Premieres.

I was using (4), but just replaced (1) with a 1TB BOLT from eBay. It's nice.

The Premieres are all Lifetime; the BOLT not.

I plan to wait a year and then pressure TiVo to sell me a Lifetime on the BOLT for $99.99.

If they bite I'll retire another Premiere and buy another used BOLT.

9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Extremely unlikely. For Roamios, they usually offer $199 after 2 years or so of monthly payments so you might be able to do the same for a Bolt.

Scott

10. SalemCat

SalemCat Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Thank you for mentioning C & DE.

For some reason (stupidity ?) it never occurred to me.

krkaufman likes this.
  11. SalemCat

SalemCat Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Yes, TiVo is definitely offering less attractive plans these days.

I did get a Premiere upgraded to Lifetime for $99.99 just last week, tho. But it wasn't a Bolt.

12. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Yes, the longer you've been paying monthly service (or someone else if bought used) the more likely you are to be offered the cheaper price.

Scott

13. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I have been having problems with my HD and called Tivo. They said it is not compatible with the newly used software. I said since you caused the problem will you transfer my life time if I replace it with a new Bolt. They said they no longer are transferring life times. They said I would have to pay for a new life time for the Bolt. Seems since it is their fault they would try to work with it's customers. I told them it would be cheaper for me to rent another Comcast DVR then to pay for a new bolt and life time. The sales guy just said that's up to you.

14. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The lifetime transfer email offer has come and gone.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    "HD" in the context of the thread OP is actually "HDD," as in hard disk drive.

16. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA

Can you give us some more information here? Your signature indicates you have an S2 and an HD but this is the Premiere forum. Do you mean HD as in hard drive or HD as in the HD model and what are the problems you are having?

Scott

17. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    It seems I misread what the post was about.
    To answer the question about the problems, The unit has been locking up at least once a week where the remote can not control it. It has also been having a problem where my to do list will tell it to record a program and when I go to play it back it shows a black screen. What ever channel it is recording is also a black screen in the live view. When I tell it to stop recording I get the live view channel back. When I called Tivo they said it is the software causing the problem since the HD is no longer compatible with the latest software.

18. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Buy a used premiere without service and try that hard drive in your lifetime premiere to see if it resolves the issue. This way you can verify the used premiere is functional before swapping the hard drives.

19. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    How did you get them to agree to lifetime that Premiere?

How long had you been paying on it monthly? The full $20?

20. b_scott

b_scott TiVo Fan

Nov 27, 2006
    chicago, il
    I replaced mine just fine. You must have done something wrong.