Keep Second HD or Order HD XL instead?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dolcevita, Sep 23, 2008.

1. dolcevita

dolcevita New Member

Jan 1, 2004
    South Florida

Advertisements

Need opinions, please. Can't make up my mind...

I had been wanting a second Tivo HD and jumped on Amazon's deal earlier this month which allowed me to get one for only $99 with the purchase of a new tv. Before I received the new HD, Tivo announced the HD XL.

Here is the quandary. I can resell the $99 HD for around $200 or so and apply the est. $100 profit to purchase of the HD XL. Plus, I have a couple hundred $$ in gift certificates on Amazon -- all of which would bring my net cost to around $300ish. Or I can keep the $99 HD -- at that price, it almost feels "free". Yes, i know i can upgrade the hard drive on it -- due to time constraints would prefer not to. And if I did, I'd buy a kit with pre-prepped hard drive. Current price for that kit on DVRupgrade is $349.

Help me decide -- what would you do?

Anybody got a coin to flip?

2. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Keep the TiVoHD and use the $$ in gift certificates at Amazon to buy a bigger HD. Time constraints? It takes hardly any time at all, especially when the TiVoHD is brand new (= no recordings to transfer).

3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Unless you really need 1TB, you could get the WD My DVR Expander on Amazon for $150. That would give you some extra storage space without having to spend much more money or any time to set it up.

4. drew00001

drew00001 New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    I agree with others above, that you are better off using the savings to but a new HD. Personally, I prefer doing internal drive updates over using external drives. YMMV.

5. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...

Advertisements

AFAIK the only differences between the TiVoHD and the XL are the 1 TB internal drive, the Glo remote, and the THX certification. The first two can be purchased separately, it's only the third you cannot get without buying a different unit.

So unless the THX certification is important to the OP, it's best to keep the free one, and upgrade it either internally, or by using the 500GB Western Digital My DVR Expander.

6. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Free HDMI cable!!!!

7. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Okay, a free HDMI cable too.

8. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Since you sound somewhat cost-conscious, upgrading your own drive is MUCH cheaper, and won't take much time.

I upgraded my Series 3's hard drive, INCLUDING KEEPING ALL RECORDINGS, in about 2 hours. Start it before you go somewhere or something if necessary.

The Tivo HD drive is even smaller, so it'll go faster.

Though if you really want a big drive, I'd say get the XL since it already has a big hard drive and is obviously under warranty.

9. dolcevita

dolcevita New Member

Jan 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it!

Good point about being able to use the Amazon gift certs to buy a larger hard drive or My DVR expander on Amazon, hadn't connected those dots.

Mattack, Although i know my post sounded that way, but it's not a matter of being cost-conscious at all -- just seeing a potential opportunity to save $$$ on the purchase of an XL. :D You mentioned it taking 2 hours to upgrade your series 3 -- personally spending 2 hours doing the upgrade myself is not in my consideration set. I travel more than 60% of the time on business, so my time at home is limited and there are way too many other ways I need to/would prefer to spend that time. 10 minutes to pop in a pre-configured drive, sure. 2 hours - no.

All in all, sounds as if I should keep the $99 Tivo HD. That doubles my current capacity, so i can wait a while and see how it goes, then add a DVR expander .

Thanks for helping me work through the thought process.

10. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    That isn't really true. There are two main factors that affect the speed of the TiVo generally. First, the amount of channels in your lineup. The smaller your lineup, the less indexing the box has to do. The second issue is the amount of items in your now playing list and season pass manager. I guess a bigger drive means you potentially have more items there but the drive itself isn't making it slower.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The two hours was the time to copy the drive and it is much faster than that to copy the 160GB drive. Easily under an hour for me. Only minutes if you don't need the recordings. And only a few minutes to remove the old drive and install the new one.

12. [NG]Owner

[NG]Owner Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Kansas City
    You do realize that the 2 hours was total time, right? The bulk of that time was spent by the computer doing the copying. Much like you don't have to watch a pot come to a boil on the stove, you don't have to watch the computer handle the transfer from the stock to the replacement drive. It'll finish without you there. You can be doing something far more productive than sitting by idly watching while your computer is doing the heavy lifting.

So, you return when you want and spend the 10 minutes reinstalling the drive, then you're done. The actual time difference in what you personally have to do between pre-configured and self copy is 10 minutes.

[NG]Owner

13. dolcevita

dolcevita New Member

Jan 1, 2004
    South Florida
    The ten minutes total is for for someone who has done it before and has all equip. needed on hand. Does not consider the time needed to wade through the forums and instructions, download winMFS, etc. , etc.

As I said in my original post - just not interested. Like I told my handyman -- I CAN change out that ceiling fan myself, but would far rather pay someone else to do it. Not my idea of fun.

14. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    If you hold off on buying the DVR expander, there could be a new version of it. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 1TB version before too long. Either way, it's easy to add later to expand storage without affecting your current recordings.

15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You misread my post. I clearly was talking about the time to copy the S3 drive to a newer 1 TB drive.

16. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Sorry, I read that out of context.