Keep recordings while upgrading Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by dougtv, May 20, 2015.

1. dougtv

dougtv Member

May 20, 2015

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a Roamio OTA that currently has many records I do not want to lose. I also do not own a Windows machine, only OS X and Linux.

Is there a recommended method to migrate my existing image or recordings before upgrading the hard drive? I know there are drive backup instructions for the Premiere on this forum but wasn't sure if any applies to the Roamio.

I don't mind getting dirty with console commands if there's a way to save my current TiVo recordings.

edit: fix typo

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  2. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    You can use TiVo Desktop or pyTivo and kmttg to back up your shows to your computer's hard drive.

3. telemark

telemark Active Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Linux works great with kmttg and pytivo.

Mac TivoDesktop is not worth the trouble.
    Mac kmttg/pytivo/ctivo, some versions don't work with some OS versions. What version of OS X are you on?

For example:
    cTiVo is fully compatible with OS X Mavericks (10.9), Mountain Lion (10.8), and Lion (10.7); not compatible with Snow Leopard or earlier.
    https://github.com/dscottbuch/cTiVo

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  4. dougtv

dougtv Member

May 20, 2015
    I am on Yosemite 10.10 currently.

Is there a method that will allow me to not only backup the recordings, but put them back on my TiVo after I upgrade the internal hard drive?

5. telemark

telemark Active Member

Nov 12, 2013

Advertisements

My understanding is they all offer that when combined with pyTivo, which is installed alongside, sometimes automatically.

I would try kmttg on Linux and cTivo on Mac.

kmttg is very powerful but has a java UI. cTivo should already come with pyTivo. Figure out which UI you prefer. If you like kmttg, install pyTivo next.

PS. you might need to look into tivodecode and metadata preservation at some point depending which combinations you end up with. Any of those 3 should be able to be made to work though. kmttg, pytivo, cTivo.

Last edited: May 21, 2015