Keep losing wireless connected Tivo from network

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by BK89, Jul 12, 2006.

1. BK89

BK89 New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Hey everyone,

I am having a problem with my wireless network and Zippered Tivos. I had a small problem previously where MRV would recognize the other Tivo on the network for a time and then it would drop from the NPL and I would have to reboot to see it again. Well I swapped the rooms that the two tibvos were in (one is wired to the router and the other is wireless). Well at first I could see both of them and it was working fine. I was accessing the wireless Tivo through TWP and all of the sudden it would not respond. I can no longer see the Tivo or ping it, and the Router will not give it a IP address even after reboot (using Angry IP scanner to verify this).

Any ideas what the problem is? I have WEP set on the router and the corresponding WEP key set in TivoWeb.CFG. If I switch the wireless Tivo to wired connection, I can access. Have been trying to figure this out for a few months - very annoying!!

2. BK89

BK89 New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    OK, I finally decided to turn off the WEP encryption and it seems to be working now. Instead of WEP, I limited wireless access by MAC address so it should be secure, right (Tivo is the only wirless device I use)? It is really weird because it was working with WEP for a while and then it just dropped the signal one day and couldnt get it back (this was a few days later). So I am crossing my fingers and hope this will work for longer than three days!

I am still having a problem with one of the DTivo's freezing up randomly. Woke up this morning to a frozen commercial. Happens quite randomly. Any ideas on this problem?

3. rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    MAC restriction is more secure than WEP anyway. Freezing is a result of impending hard drive failure.

4. BK89

BK89 New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    I ran both of the drives in the Tivo that is freezing a while back and they both passed the Hard Drive Diagnostic checks. Might have to pull them and check again...