Kee losing connection between 2 roamios

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by philt56, Mar 22, 2018.

1. philt56

philt56 Member

Aug 21, 2008

Advertisements

never xperienced this before. Watching a show streamed from a bedroom Roamio to another Roamio in the living room. Will play fine for maybe 10-15 minutes, then get Lost Connection v87 error. Go back to tivo central and immediately can reconnect back and stream for another 10 minutes. For awhile, I could only reconnect for a minute or so and it would drop. Rebooted my router to see if that would help. It seemed like that got it so I could stream for 15 minutes vs the immediate drops after reconnect.

I have a netgear orbi router. A moca adapter is connected to the router and cable modem then both Roamio’s use their built in moca connections. There is a premiere in the same bedroom as one Roamio, it uses a moca adapter with ethernet cable for its network connection.

As an aside. I had a problem with the bedroom Roamio a few weeks ago where it couldn’t tune cbs-hd channel. I was working with the Comcast cable card support center and after trying several things, she finally suggested bypassing the splitter connecting to the Roamio and premiere in the bedroom. When I did connect the Roamio direct to the wall outlet , the channel came in. Replaced the coax from the splitter to the Roamio and it continued to work.

So not sure if a bad splitter or coax cable could be affecting the network all of a sudden or this is something else?

I looked at network status and saw a bunch of errors there. Moca bandwidth too low. Although the time stamps seem off by several hours. While viewing this screen got a wireless connection dropped error and then the page came back in a couple seconds

Ps, now my stream has been going fine for half hour. And then dropped again

Let me know if there’s anything further I should check or wait and see if this continues.
    Like I said, I’ve never seen this before.

2. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I would try giving both Roamios static IPs if you have not done so before. Then reboot everything.

3. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    A bad splitter can cause these problems or lack of a POE filter—even though it worked before it can suddenly go bad without a POE, I know from experience. There are certain splitters recommended by folks here on the board for use with TiVos.

krkaufman likes this.
  4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This was one of the first things I was thinking, given the absence of any mention of the "PoE" MoCA filter in the OP. Do you have a "PoE" MoCA filter in place? (See this post for more info on the "PoE" MoCA filter.)

Also, can you report the brand & model of the central connecting component(s) for your coax lines? (interested in whether a splitter or amp, and what specs)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Separately, sometimes MoCA gear can get confused ... which a full power reset has sometimes remedied.

To do a full power reset, power down all your gear (modem, router, network switches, MoCA bridge, MoCA adapters, TiVo devices), and leave it all off for a minute or three; and then power the devices back on, in the order above, allowing each device to come online before proceeding to the next.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  6. philt56

philt56 Member

Aug 21, 2008
    I do have a PoE filter

7. philt56

philt56 Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Central connecting components? The splitter in the bedroom was put in by a Comcast tech a year or so ago.
    I have this one in the living room.

https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Digital-Performance-Splitter-BDS102H/dp/B007YV0UQW

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What about the device that connects the coax runs to each of those rooms' coax wall outlets to the incoming cable feed? That's what I meant by central.

Where do you have this MoCA filter installed? Typically, it would be installed on the input of the initial, central splitter that I was asking about.

9. philt56

philt56 Member

Aug 21, 2008
    They are on separate runs from the splitter in the outside Comcast box.theres also another coax run to the room with the cable modem.

Yes filter is in that outside box.

I’ll probably jinx it but watching a show now and haven’t experienced a problem yet.

Thanks for the advice.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Sounds like that's the central location.

I'd start with the full power reset, before looking to swap-out components or cables ... if/when the problem recurs.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  11. philt56

philt56 Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Thanks again

krkaufman likes this.