Kasa smart plug

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by flyjar, Feb 22, 2021.

1. flyjar

flyjar New Member

Feb 22, 2021

Advertisements

So this just started happening after about two years connected in the fashion described below. I have my main TiVo plugged in to a tp-link kasa smart plug so when there is a problem with the tivo box I don't have to go digging behind my entertainment center to unplug it to reset it. I simply pull up the Kasa app and power down the tivo. I wait about 20-30 secs and power it back up. But lately the tivo keeps rebooting on it's own and it's related to the smart plug because when I remove it the problem goes away. The device remains on as far as I can see. Any one else ever see this problem? I'm guessing it's a power issue. I plugged a lamp into the smart plug and didn't see any issue or flashing lights. So...any ideas?

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Stop using the smart plug. Problem solved. You don’t need to unplug it to reset it, you can do a restart from the menu.

3. flyjar

flyjar New Member

Feb 22, 2021
    If it's locked up I can't get to the menu, and that's usually the only time I have to reset it.

4. thefisch

thefisch Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Try another smart plug. Maybe there are voltage issues with that one that the Tivo is sensitive to, but a light wouldn't be.

tampa8 likes this.
  5. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL

Advertisements

100% false. There have been several times unplugging is the only way to wake it up.

Further there has been twice now I could not connect remotely with my app and turning off the smart plug and back on fixed the problem.

6. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    I use a smart plug also have not encountered that problem. Trying another smart plug (maybe even the same model) I bet will fix it.

flyjar likes this.
  7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Yep try another TP-Link smart plug. I’ve been using several for years with no such problem. And they’re cheap.

I’ve never used one to control a TiVo or anything more sophisticated than a light, so I guess it’s conceivable the smart plug has momentary millisecond dropouts, or noise, that would only affect something like a TiVo and wouldn’t be noticeable in a light. The TP-Link switches use relay contacts, which would seem to be less likely to introduce such problems.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  8. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    No issues with a Wemo smart plug on a Bolt here.

9. RoamioJeff

RoamioJeff Unregistered User

May 8, 2014
    I use a Wyze smart plug for this very same purpose and never had any issues. I have both my TiVo and Tuning Adaptor plugged into the same smart plug to (rarely) reboot everything in the event of an issue.

It's probably the individual plug going bad. Try another plug of the same brand. If the problem recurs, try a different brand plug.