KABC Los Angeles Eyewitness News at 4 PM

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by Sam Ray, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Sam Ray

Sam Ray Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I hope this is an appropriate use of this forum.

It has been happening for more than a month and probably more than two months. Eyewitness News at 4 PM for KABC here in Los Angeles is called "Eyewitness News 5PM" instead of "Eyewitness News 4PM" on Thursdays but only on Thursdays and therefore Tivo does not automatically record the news for us on Thursdays; we must remember to schedule it explicitly and of course sometimes we forget. The news is automatically recorded for us at 4 PM for every day except Thursdays so the OnePass is working. I see in the Tivo Guide that the show is named incorrectly for Thursdays.

I am surprised that no one has complained but of course it could be that people have complained and KABC does not care.

How much would it help for us to report this? Who do we repot it to?

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The errors in the data make about as much sense as the rules to Fizzbin.

tim1724 likes this.
  3. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    If the show is not recording on Thursdays, it probably has a different series ID on that day, probably because the different title is used on those days.

I suspect you could do what you want by creating another One Pass for the show from a Thursday episode in the TiVo Guide. The recorded shows wouldn't be in the same folder but they would get recorded. I really doubt KABC would care about this issue but what have you got to lose by complaining?

I must disagree with the comment, however. Fizzbin is way more logical and consistent than TiVo/Rovi's guide data.

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I agree with that. It only occurred to me because it was different on one day of the week. Yes, I know it is Tuesday for Fizzbin rather than Thursday.

I should have said that the data errors make less sense than the rules of Fizzbin.

What a dark day in history was the one when Rovi decided they wanted a piece of TiVos action.

5. Sam Ray

Sam Ray Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's not that easy. The 5 PM daily news is called the same as the 4 PM news on Thursday. In other words, for Thursday the 4 PM news has the same series id as the 5 PM news. I have confirmed that by showing the "upcoming" for the show in the schedule for the upcoming Thursday show at 4 PM. So if we make a OnePass for the Thursday show that we want then we will get both the 4 PM and the 5 PM show for every day. So I would prefer to just be sure to remember to explicitly record the one that is not automatic.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  6. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    In that case, setting up a repeating manual recording for Thursdays would seem to be the way to go to avoid the trouble of deleting unwanted recordings.

7. Sam Ray

Sam Ray Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was hoping for something that I don't already know, like where to report the problem.