K-Ville: worth watching? No spoilers, please

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Ntombi, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Ntombi

Ntombi New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Bostonian...
    I now have all 4 episodes in my TiVo, and I'm wondering if it's worth watching? Obviously, I'm not feeling a burning desire to watch, but I had heard good things before it aired, and I'm interested in how they deal with post-Katrina New Orleans.

Anyone have any thoughts on it one way or the other? Is it just a regular procedural, how's the acting, the chemistry, etc.

TIA

2. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    I think it is still up in the air.

The post-Katrina New Orleans stuff is pretty much in the background usually. They inject it every once in a while.

3. trnsfrguy

trnsfrguy Advanced !

Apr 28, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    I've only seen 2 of the 4 so far and even though I enjoyed them, the show is a run of the mill cop show with post Katrina Louisiana as a back drop.
    Yahoo had a story about the show being in trouble and could face cancellation.

4. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    If it weren't for the fact that I lived in New Orleans for over 20 years prior to Katrina (and now live only about 30 miles outside the city, and am in New Orleans several times per month), I probably wouldn't be watching it.

I watch because it's fun to see all the New Orleans locations they use. I can often identify the exact street each scene is shot on. My wife was a Taxi dispatcher in New Orleans for many years, she can identify the street and block in almost every scene! :)

However, other than that, it's pretty much just a run-of-the-mill cop show.

It doesn't suck or anything, but it doesn't exactly set the world on fire either.

They've tried to make the characters well rounded and "imperfect heros" (lots of skeletons in the closets of the main characters), but they aren't quite hitting the mark. "Boomtown", for example, did that better.

5. Ntombi

Ntombi New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Bostonian...
    Okay, I loved Boomtown (until they screwed with it so much that it turned into a normal procedural).

Thanks for the opinions. Keep 'em coming, please!:D

6. moondoggie

moondoggie Active Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    I watched 2.5 episodes and canceled my season pass. I liked Anthony Anderson on The Shield, but can't stand him on this show. He was better off as a quiet gangster than a loud mouth cop. His high pitched shrill voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

7. nparker7

nparker7 Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Hoschton, GA
    I'm still watching it, but usually only after I've caught up on everything else. Like others have said it's a run of the mill cop show. The Katrina stuff isn't in your face, but I'd say it's more than in the background. I'll keep watching.

8. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I liked Boomtown...

For me, the jury is still out on KVille... If I had to take out my crystal ball, I would have to predict that I will be giving this one up shortly...

It's not bad... It's just not good enough to cram into my already packed viewing schedule...

9. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    That's about the point I am with the show.

Without spoilers, I had complaints about the pilot episode because there were parts where the camera work was, for my tastes, too jerky and events occured too quickly and too disjointed. One second the actors were standing in a plaza, the next they're in a car chase after some bad guys that should have had enough of a head start that the cops wouldn't have even been close to them.

I think the later episodes were better in that the camera work wasn't as jarring, the action flowed smoother, and the time lines stayed more true to life and more linear.

I watched two episodes last night, but don't consider it must see, must concetrate on TV. It is low on the watching list and if I don't catch an episode, no problem. Each episode stands alone though so you needn't worry about missing something from a bigger ongoing story if you don't catch all of the episodes. There may be a few threads of a bigger story, but not enough that you'd be annoyed at not seeing an earlier episode before seeing the latest.

10. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Its on a busy night, but I have an extra DVR and still recording it. I like it better than some of the new shows, but I just have a gut feeling it will be around long.

11. Dmon4u

Dmon4u Unresponsive User

Jul 15, 2000
    PA
    I've got the same feeling. This show would be better off on some other night, perhaps in a 10:00 slot.

12. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    It is no early Boomtown, that's for sure. Watched two and will watch the 3rd to decide but I'm leaning toward cutting it as there are too many better cop shows on.

Frank

13. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    If you like it, it's worth watching. If you don't, it's not.

14. Enrique

Enrique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2006
    I like this show. If I were you i would watch it.

15. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    (Without spoilers)
    The last episode put K-Ville in the trash heap for me.
    It was already teetering as it is basically, "just another cop show", but I didn't find the characters interesting or the stories good.

And Anthony Anderson's character's actions at the end of the last episode were absolutely unbelievable.

I think the fact that there is still no thread for this week's episode should tell you that the people are either not watching it or it's a low priority to watch show.

16. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    Without turning this thread into the current episode show thread, I'd go +1 on some of what happened in the latest episode really stretching credibility with earlier portrayals of the character. It didn't kill it for me, but it did make me think that the writers were trying too hard to have all of the characters have at least a few black marks against them or at least that they were trying too hard to convince viewers that no one is perfect.

17. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I agree with everyone else that it's a run of the mill cop show. Not great, not terrible. I still have a season pass but it's become a low priority watch. I'm two episodes behind. That's not bad but I'm also up to date with Flash Gordon, which probably means something.