Justin Bieber Roast on Comedy Central

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gossamer88, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Apr 2, 2015 #1 of 35
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx

Advertisements

Anyone seen this? I have to say that this one was pretty good. The standout for me was Natasha Leggero.

She was brutal! (language NSFW)

Kevin Hart, who I don't normally like, was a great host. Of course he was beat up pretty badly because of his height.

Martha Stewart was also surprisingly good. Chris D'elia was the worst IMO.

2. Apr 2, 2015 #2 of 35
    2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    I didn't know it had aired. I'll watch just because I like comedy but I don't care about JB.

3. Apr 2, 2015 #3 of 35
    classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    Who the heck requests to be roasted?

4. Apr 2, 2015 #4 of 35
    jon777

jon777 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2002
    Jupiter, FL
    Watched about 1/3 of it so far. Pete Davidson, I thought was the standout so far of what I watched. Ludacris was surprisingly good -- not only material, but in particular his delivery (usually the non-comics struggle with delivery, even if someone has written them good material).

Martha Stewart looks like she just had botox -- her expression hasn't yet moved, even with some of the nasty lines flung in her direction...

As per usual with these things, there is as much (if not more) insulting the other roasters than the roastee himself.

5. Apr 2, 2015 #5 of 35
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Advertisements

Someone trying to clean up their image and turn their past into ancient history as quickly as possible. It's smart move to make.

I've been a bieber hater from the beginning but I am impressed with the changes he's made to make himself more tolerable to those of us who are turned off by entitled, arrogant, self centered, little dbags.

6. Apr 2, 2015 #6 of 35
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I saw it the other night. I've learned to pick a late-night airing so it's not just bleep bleep bleep. :)

Anyway, I enjoyed it. Not a fan and I think he's pretty much just a petulant child but maybe he's trying to grow up and be a responsible citizen. For that, I give him kudos. I think it all got away from him. Or - he's just acting. But I'd like to think that he will make a turn-around. I don't think he's really talented at all - more like just boy candy for 12 year olds, but maybe he will redeem himself and do good things.

7. Apr 2, 2015 #7 of 35
    sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I swear I heard him in an interview somewhere that said he did all the crazy stuff SPECIFICALLY so they'd have material to roast him with (because they couldn't roast him until he was 18 so he had time to do that stuff)...but of course I can't find any details on that now. (I'm guessing it was on Ellen, but I don't trust my memory on things anymore. But I don't watch much else that he would be on or that I'd see an interview on.)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  8. Apr 2, 2015 #8 of 35
    sushikitten

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Ha, I wasn't looking for it specifically here, but came across this article (NSFW text in story):

The loneliest roast: Justin Bieber does public penance on Comedy Central

9. Apr 2, 2015 #9 of 35
    tigercat74

tigercat74 Lets go Bengals!!!!!

Aug 7, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I recorded the 10pm show and was amazed by the language that wasn't bleeped. I think the only word bleeped was variations on the F word.

10. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Martha Stewart's turn at the mic was surprisingly hilarious.

11. jon777

jon777 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2002
    Jupiter, FL
    Am watching the DirecTV on Demand version and nothing is bleeped, which is good. Unfortunately can't FF thru commericals.

12. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I saw it, and loved it. But I love all the Comedy Central roasts. They are as much about jabbing at each other, as they are the "guest of honor". They are dirty, snarky, no-redeeming-value events, and I usually can't stop laughing.

The best roasters are the pros... Jeff Ross, Natasha Leggero, also Shaq was surprisingly good, as was Snoop. I thought Kevin Hart (I'm not a big fan usually) did a great job.

If you like these types of things, this was a good one. If you don't, well... you won't.

13. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    We watched on On Demand as well. Seems like the commercial break was twice as long! :thumbsdown:

14. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    It was worth watching just to see Shaq and Hart standing next to each other.

15. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I can't stand Bieber.

But I do like the CC roasts

I thought most of the roasters did a good job but as mentioned before...

Martha Stewart. Who knew? that was some funny stuff.

16. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Enjoyed it, just as I enjoy all the roasts. It's always interesting to see which non-comedians they get and how well they do. Obviously, the non-comedians have jokes written for them by the writing staff, but it's fun to see which jokes they tell how well they deliver them.

I thought Ludacris was the worst, and Natasha Leggero and Jeff Ross were the best. I'm not usually a big Will Ferrell fan, but Rom Burgundy was pretty good. I heard that there were a few Paul Walker jokes that were cut and Luda was very offended by them. Bottom line, if you're going to get offended, the Roast is no place for you.

17. MHunter1

MHunter1 TiVo Bug Hunter

Oct 11, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    What about the "Afterburn" episode airing tonight, April 2nd, at 9pm? Is it just a repeat with a Twitter crawl? My TiVo seems to think it's a "new" episode, but there are other things I'd like to record during those two hours if it's just a variant with viewer commentary added.

18. sushikitten

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    It's sure to be repeated so just set an alternative recording.

19. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I recorded it since it said NEW (well, actually my "roast" wishlist grabbed it), but it appears to be a 100% repeat. Didn't watch all of it, but skipping around, didn't see one new thing.

I call BS on the description.:thumbsdown::mad:

20. MHunter1

MHunter1 TiVo Bug Hunter

Oct 11, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The original airing from Monday has several upcoming repeats, but the "Afterburn" episode only airs tonight according to guide info.

I compared my recording from Monday with the "Afterburn" episode and they do differ. Tonight's episode shows a short sequence of Twitter comments at the bottom of the screen every 5 to 10 minutes.

Maybe the "Afterburn" episode is CC's way of getting social media participants to watch the roast a second time hoping their comments made the special.