Justified "The Spoil" 3/30/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Jonathan_S, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Less Wynona and more Boyd :up:
    I did like Raylan's response during the town meeting. "But we get overtime, and get paid 52 week a year..."

Wonder what'll happen at Mag's party, and what Boyd figured out about the Bennett's plans.

2. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Do we know Bennett's plan?

3. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    My first thought was that she didn't want the mining company getting near her "farming" operations, but Boyd said that the mining company pretty much owned the entire mountain top, and I"m guessing that the "Bennet Farm" wouldn't be near the top of the mountain. My guess is that they want to expand the distribution part of their business and want the land for a helipad.

4. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    All I know is that Coover(sp?) is going to get one serious butt whuppin' sometime soon. Hope he gets shot a couple times too for good measure.

I'm glad that they wrote Art smart enough to know that Raylan and Winona were doing something awfully fishy in the vault.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, Raylan has already said Art knows. I guess the question is what he's going to do about it, and how this is going to affect their relationship.

I do love how this show does not shy away from the consequences of people's actions!

6. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    My take on Meg's plans. Thars gold up in them hills! :) Meg's probably wants to control all the land thru which an access road could be built and thus exact a royalty for traffic.

Raylan got whupped again. He needs a better option between a handshake and Death...

7. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Yes he does. (But as a character I kind of like that he a bit deficient in that area)

8. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Sometimes it seems like he's just looking for a good whupping. When he needs to be, he's brutally effective. But when he picks a fight for the sake of picking a fight, it never ends well.

9. AlphaDelta

AlphaDelta Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I don't understand why he didn't arrest him for assaulting a marshall. Or just shoot him.

10. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Because it wasn't business, it was personal.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Plus he put away his badge and invited him to attack him, presumably without consequences. It would have been a pretty crappy stunt to do that and then arrest him when it didn't turn out the way he wanted to.

12. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Exactly. You have to honor the code. :)

13. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I would have loved this show forever if Ava had shot Coover after he said "you shoulda killed me". Why not? He was in her house. That was about my favorite scene in Firefly (I wish you wouldn't'a said that). Ah, what the heck. I love this show forever anyway. Ava shooting the whatever-it-was in the bag was almost as good: "What is that?" BANG!

:D :D :D :D

14. DanB

DanB New Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, it could be just a big case of guilty conscious. Folks tend to think others know of their bad deed when they really don't know anything.

15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But we've seen Art give the same looks to Raylan that Raylan's seen, and we don't have a guilty conscience. ;)

16. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    I wasn't watching the clock, so this episode surprised me when it ended, I was so ready for the party.

Raylan was looking at a map when he figured out her plans. We just saw her in the town meeting where she said she'd buy anyone's property to keep them from selling to the coal company.

I think she's using her pot money to buy up a strategic portion of the land. Not to block the coal company, but to eventually sell it to them at a tidy profit. So she first appears to be owning a lot of "worthless" land that she's going to just hold on to but will be end up very valuable when lumped all together. Maybe blocking ingress/egress or something.

Forget it Jake, it's Harlan County...

17. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I have 3 huge questions:
    1. Why does he insist on getting his arse kicked by losers? Self punishment?
    2. Why are we 8 episodes into the season and Raylan has yet to shoot anyone?
    3. What. the. hell. was in that bag that Ava shot???

18. chocophile

chocophile New Member

Dec 26, 2007
    With mountain top mining, they demolish the mountain top and push the "spoil" into a nearby valley. This typically either blocks streams or fouls them beyond recovery.

My guess is that the mining company owns the mountain top, but not the adjacent valley to dump the spoil.

19. AeneaGames

AeneaGames Member

May 2, 2009
    Am not sure, but I assumed it was a skunk and they were trying to stuff it in his mouth (or at least let it spray inside his mouth)...

Just googled it and it supposedly hurts besides stinking a lot...

20. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Someone over on TWOP posted that it was said in an interview it was a badger. Not sure how that makes sense but okay.