Justified - "The Moonshine War" 02/09/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Ment, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...

Advertisements

Momma is a mean 'ole *****. She is scary.

Wynona still a skillet full of HAWT!

It looks like the Bennett clan is going to be the Crowders of S2. Not sure if Boyd is going to be a convenient ally for Raylan or just another source of trouble for B plots in his own personal mission to bring everyone to Jesus. Either way I hope we still see alot of Boyd.

Got concerned when Raylan went to Miami that S2 was going to linger there. Glad that wrapped up and brought back to Harlan.

The dialog in Justified is just really special. The gasoline scene and Momma Bennett couching murder as euthanasia scene were both magic.

Long live Justified!

Oh and whats the over/under on the number LOST refugees we're going to see in S2. :)

2. Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice >>>>>>

Jul 6, 2004
    That Apple Pie sounds delicious. But, I'm gonna bring my own glass, if that's alright.

It's been two months since I've had some really good TV to watch. I'd forgotten how good it could be.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    He's in the opening credits, so my guess is probably. ;)
    I almost didn't recognize Daniel, which is surprising because he looks exactly the same. It's amazing how much context can matter!

4. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Oh my God I'm glad this show is back.

I was a little nervous about the show coming back. To be honest I didn't think there was any way they could live up to season 1. This sure was a hell of a start.

5. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...

Advertisements

I loved how Raylan brought down the bad guy without firing a shot. Gasoline sprayed on him and then give him the idea that firing the shot would likely lead him to go up in flames. :up: All while telling him that normally he'd just draw and get it all over with but he's trying to be a kindler and gentler Raylan now :D

And yeah, Momma is a wicked woman that looks like she could quite interesting throughout the season.

6. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    agreed, and I think they set up the season well with this first episode, the previews looked good!

7. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Did anyone notice that the Weed growers are "The Bennett Family" and the (out of uniform) cop that stopped by Momma's General Store, was driving a Cruiser (OK Cop SUV) labeled "Bennett PD"?

8. EMoMoney

EMoMoney Big and Tall

Oct 30, 2001
    Abingdon,...
    This show is on the brink of overtaking Dexter as my favorite show on TV.

9. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Breaking Bad, Justified, Dexter, Vampire Diaries, Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men are all in the tops for me (non comedy genre) and at various times during each show, they'll take over the top spot in my heart. I'd really be upset if I had to choose any of them to go away.

10. retrodog

retrodog King Button Pusher

Feb 7, 2002
    At the gun...
    Great season opener. I loved the replay of the scenes from last season just to remind us what happened.

This show is very smart and good writing. The characters do believable things and not a bunch of stupid stuff just to get to some result that the writers were trying to get to.

I loved the gas scene. Raylan's comments to the guy about not finishing school were very subtle and funny all at the same time. Very well done.

I'm diggin the black chick. She comes across very smart, very adaptive, and quite believable in this role. Looking forward to seeing more out of her. Loved the scene between her and Raylan about "my people... your people... etc." Pure gold.

The thing I like most about this show is that absolutely nothing is overdone. They keep it very real feeling. Raylan says what he's thinking, but he seems to take his time and make sure he really is thinking it first. Timothy Olyphant is becoming one of my favorite actors.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    At the same time, they're not afraid to have people (especially bad guys) do really stupid things, in a believable way. Which is very much a result of the Elmore Leonard influence; few people have as deep an appreciation for the full range of human stupidity and its comedic potential as Leonard. An example this week was when the dumb brother was waving his gun around on the porch, and Raylan and the smarter brother were trying to get him to stop committing suicide.

The look on Raylan's face when he's confronted with such stupidity is a tribute to the subtle greatness of Olyphant's acting.

12. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Dutch (Elmore) was co-writer on this one. You can tell. Nobody writes better stories through better dialog. He says he can hear the characters talking in his mind.

Like the Rubicon complaint, is it always going to be this slow-paced? :rolleyes:

THAT"s WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! Justifed is easily the best series on television now. I'll even put it ahead of Breaking Bad.

But they flew over an improbable hole to in that fast pace: Try to believe that Raylan just jumped on Mr. Miami drug dealer's private jet carrying his shot-up niece, stepped over the body of the hood with the automatic he killed and somehow got the pilot to fly them home to Miami..and then what? He used the guy's waiting limo to get to his house? K! ...and the head of the Miami US Marshall service was right behind him. :p

13. retrodog

Feb 7, 2002
    At the gun...
    Yes, but even the stupidity is very believable, as I'm known people like that in my life. And yes, the subtle expressions in Olyphant's face remind me of a very young Clint Eastwood. In that he could play some similar roles how Eastwood did after coming back from his tour of Italy (insert Olive Garden joke reference here).

He seems to be slowly developing some very reputable acting skills and a persona that could do him well in the future.

14. retrodog

Feb 7, 2002
    At the gun...
    You've been watching 24 too much. They weren't operating in "real time" on this show. Those little jumps from one scene to the next are indications of elapsed time and events. :D

And the chick who is playing the evil leader this season looks like that lady who went to Mars on Total Recall...

Two weeks... two weeks... TWO WEEEEEEEKSSSSSS...

15. UTV2TiVo

UTV2TiVo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Sacramento...
    I think she was also the dispicable mother in Million Dollar Baby.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Right..."do really stupid things, in a believable way."

Writing plausible stupid people seems to be almost as difficult as writing plausible smart people, judging from Hollywood's attempts. These writers do an adequate job at the latter, and a spectacular job at the former. :D

17. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    I'll always remember her as the kind old neighbor lady from 'The Riches', which when I saw her in this episode seemed appropriate...but then...oh noes!

18. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    I'm confused. I thought Daniel died on the island. :confused:

Always with the Mommy issues.

19. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    He died a long time ago. He's fine in the present.

I think you're lost in time...

20. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    I didn't appreciate her in Season One. I was wrong. Well done.