Justified 4/27/11 "Reckoning"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Wow, Mags won't rest until her entire clan is wiped out...

Kinda weird that she set Dickie up to be killed, but then got him sprung from prison. At least he was safe from Boyd, Raylan, and himself in there!

2. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    She had to give up Dickie to ensure the Black Pipe deal was a done deal. By giving up Dickie to the law she figured it would keep him from being killed and obviously had a plan to spring him later. One crafty lady. :)

I love how Raylan was always one step ahead of Mags until the end. Should make for a great finale.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Except she had to think Raylan was going to kill him when she ratted him out...

4. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Not necessarily, she might have figured (correctly, as it turned out) that Raylan was a good enough lawman that he wouldn't just execute Dickie. I agree it is probably what SHE (or her kin) would have done, she probably recognized that Raylan wasn't like her.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, considering what happened the last time Raylan had a run-in with one of her sons (and NOT the one who had just murdered his aunt), if she didn't suspect he might kill Dickie, she's a moron.

Which is exactly what he barely stopped short of doing.

I think she set Dickie up to die (and Dickie knows it); when Dickie survived and the immediate crisis was past, she then got him sprung. And I can't help but wonder if she got him sprung because it would be easier to get rid of him on the outside...he is a loose cannon, and a constant threat to everything she does.

6. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    How many people felt the "Fredo" moment at the end when Mags gave him the hug.

7. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Mags knew Raylan's aunt well Maybe she figured that the way she brought up Raylan he wouldn't kill Dickie no matter how much he needed killin. Great scene where Raylan talking about his aunt to Dickie talks about how she raised him NOT to be like his Dad and than it dawns on him that killing Dickie pisses all that she did with him away irrevocably. I also liked Eva's speech to Arlo where ostensibly talking about the deceased she really described her own motivations and life decisions going in with Boyd.

8. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    "If you disrespect Ava a third time..."

Remember when Art warned the ATF guy about that? "I will personally knock you on yer a*"

Mom Mags didn't want Coover killed but is grateful that Lor Etta was saved. "Tell her I didn't mean to ..." (commit pre-meditated murder on her Daddy.)
    Mags didn't want to lose Dickie but wanted her Black Pike deal saved.

Now what? They go after Boyd and his brother? After she made the deal with him? It looks like Bro's house blows up.

I say the Bennetts off Dickie on their own.

Consider that Dickie has dropped two minions, besides Aunty.

You gotta wonder how Dutch from Indiana got to understand hill folk so well. He's an amazing researcher.

9. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I only have a minute to add my thoughts this week...

So glad Raylan came to his senses. I really thought he was going to shoot Dickie for a minute. Loved that him talking about Helen raising him to be a better man than his father (tm Fringe) is what made him realize what he was about to do.

I'm not sure I 100% buy Ava stepping out onto the porch with a shotgun on Raylan. Seemed a bit contrived to me. I did however love Boyd telling Raylan not to disrespect her a third time and the look Raylan gave them both before getting into his car... like he was about to say something then said "oh screw you two, I have more important people to go deal with".

Next week is going to be crazy I can tell from the previews!

10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'm not so sure about that. She was all weepy until she realized that she wasn't going to get Loretta back. Then, she instantly turned cold as ice.

I think she was just looking to rid herself of another potential problem.

People here seem way too wiling to give her the benefit of the doubt, when her portrayal has been pretty consistently an ice-cold evil ***** from hell who can sometimes put on a good act, but sometimes can't.

11. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Nah. Mags asked Raylan about Lor Etta again this week. She really did fall for her as a daughter.

(Unsubstantiated speculation: )
    Another plot might be for Lor Etta to run away and show up again in Bennett. (How about if SHE shoots Mags as revenge for her Daddy?)

12. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I wonder what the short Loretta scene was about. It didn't connect with the rest of the episode.

We had a whole season of Mags Bennett scheming to get rich from Black Pipe and all of a sudden she says "Screw it"?

Raylan conked Doyle upside the head in the woods. How'd he explain that one when Doyle woke up?

13. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I assume it's setting something up...Loretta comes back in the finale and they didn't want us thinking she was just appearing out of the blue.

14. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    My wild ass guess is that Raylan and Winona adopt her somehow.

15. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    that's what i was thinking as well, i don't think they just let her alone/with the orphanage. and by adopting her, Mags will be none too pleased either...

16. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Loved 90% of the episode. Hated the last bit at the end with Mags getting Dickie out of jail. I would have liked to have seen that go away and it been the season finale. Really felt like it was written that way and the bit at the end was tacked on when the found out they were renewed for another season. I really don't want a cliffhanger season ender. Wrapping it up like they did last season was great.

17. BobB

BobB Devout Tivonian

Aug 26, 2002
    Brookline, MA
    Any speculation on who the older woman was who apparently got Dickie's hapless minion to recant? There must have been some serious threats involved, since we saw him at the opening of the episode bleating about how he just couldn't go back to jail, and now he confesses to a murder he didn't commit.

At first I was thinking maybe his girlfriend/wife's mother, asking him to confess to protect her and their kid from Mags - but then it struck me that she almost certainly has to be someone from out of town, since the local cops would likely know anybody from the area, at least by name, and she would surely have had to show some ID to be allowed in to speak to a prisoner. Though of course that doesn't rule out my first theory.

Alternatively - she's Mags' (crooked, of course) lawyer? Nah, then the cops would be even more likely to know her.

Got me stumped, just have to wait for next week, I guess.

18. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    I thought it was his mom, and Mags bought the confession.

19. BobB

BobB Devout Tivonian

Aug 26, 2002
    Brookline, MA
    Bought or threatened, for sure - but if she was his mom would the cops be saying they don't know who she was?

20. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I am actually really shocked Mags has not found Loretta.